Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2020, 06:14 PM   #21
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Yzerman picks up a second round pick just for being in a good cap situation. And gets a serviceable defenseman for a year without wading into the UFA pool.
And can probably trade Staal at the deadline for another pick
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 06:16 PM   #22
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Must be nice having the top UFAs and even RFAs annually come knocking on your door just because of where you are situated.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 06:16 PM   #23
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
With future considerations do they “have” to give something back or can a trade just be one way with nothing ever going back the other way?
Officially in the NHL future considerations doesn't exist. Any time I have seen it used since the NHL got rid of it, has been a conditional 7th round pick where the conditions are unlikely to be met.
Crown Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Crown Royal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2020, 08:05 PM   #24
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Staal is probably happy with this move... will almost certainly get a bigger role on a Red Wings team desperate for D. Might get another contract this way.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 08:26 PM   #25
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Staal is probably happy with this move... will almost certainly get a bigger role on a Red Wings team desperate for D. Might get another contract this way.
I assume so. His contract had a NMC but I don’t know the definitive source of whether it’s a full nmc or not.

But my working theory has always been the vast majority of pro athletes no longer want to play for an organization that wants to move them.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:41 PM   #26
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would have thought Brendan Smith would have been the cap dump back to DET. He only played like 12 mins /game last year compared to Staal who was nearly 20.

Rangers also dumped Skjei for Car's 1st last TDL.

Targetting Krug? Not sure they can really afford to go that big on UFA considering the raises they are due to pay over the next three years. At some point they'll need to consolidate their abundance of good young players...

It seems to me like the play for them should be to target going all in for Lafreniere's sophomore year and try to avoid any buyouts this year...perhaps that's what they've just managed to achieve.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:50 AM   #27
omelete
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The Rangers are also on the hook for $7.5M in buyouts for the 20-21 season, and that's not even including Lundqvist if they end up buying him out. That's a lot of dead cap space for a team that still needs to sign 3-4 defencemen, a goalie and 4-5 forwards.
omelete is offline   Reply With Quote