Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-21-2024, 07:49 PM   #61
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I just can't help but be totally 100% negative about Huberdeau. I'm sure he is a great guy, teammate or whatever, but he is a 50 point player making 10.5 million who is on the wrong side of 30.
It's impossible not to see that Calgary will have a 10M lower salary cap than everyone else for the next 7 years. Not impossible, but makes things an awful lot harder.

As for the year, I went in pessimistic and left even more pessimistic. Likely need to really hit on a later round pick as I don't see them being super bad as long as Weegar, Andersson, Backlund, Kadri, and Kylington all play, but don't see any 1 or even 1a talent on the team to become a playoff team
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 08:22 PM   #62
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Good: Conroy selling everything that wasn't nailed down. While some of the returns were underwhelming, something was acquired for the pending UFAs. Conroy needs to continue divesting assets next season. Markstrom, Mangiapane and Andersson should all be moved to continue to load up on draft capital.

Coleman and Weegar. If the team is truly committed to a multi-year rebuild, these are the guys you want in your locker room to show the up and comers the right way to play the game.

Kylington returning to the club and playing well. Hopefully Conroy can sign him to a deal with a lower AAV so that he can be moved for more assets.

Bad: Near term future. The team lacks any high end talent whatsoever and/or prospects that project into top 6 forwards or top 2 defencemen. Even if Wolf turns out to be a legit #1G he is not enough to make the team a contender. I'd be shocked if the Flames make the playoffs before the new arena is ready.

Ugly: Huberdeau and Kadri contracts. They were bad when they were signed and will absolutely prevent the team from doing a quick retool and contending anytime soon.
Kadri was their MVP and is a bargain at $7M. If, in a few years, he isn't earning his contract anymore, then sure, have at 'er.

And he is not, in any way, deterring a rebuild. You have to ice a team.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2024, 08:26 PM   #63
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Good: Conroy selling everything that wasn't nailed down. While some of the returns were underwhelming, something was acquired for the pending UFAs. Conroy needs to continue divesting assets next season. Markstrom, Mangiapane and Andersson should all be moved to continue to load up on draft capital.

Coleman and Weegar. If the team is truly committed to a multi-year rebuild, these are the guys you want in your locker room to show the up and comers the right way to play the game.

Kylington returning to the club and playing well. Hopefully Conroy can sign him to a deal with a lower AAV so that he can be moved for more assets.

Bad: Near term future. The team lacks any high end talent whatsoever and/or prospects that project into top 6 forwards or top 2 defencemen. Even if Wolf turns out to be a legit #1G he is not enough to make the team a contender. I'd be shocked if the Flames make the playoffs before the new arena is ready.

Ugly: Huberdeau and Kadri contracts. They were bad when they were signed and will absolutely prevent the team from doing a quick retool and contending anytime soon.
Kylington I understand is undecided about returning to the NHL, but if he does it’s with the flames.

If he signs within a lower AAV, it will need to come with a NTC. He won’t sign a bargain contract only to get traded.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 08:28 PM   #64
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Kylington I understand is undecided about returning to the NHL, but if he does it’s with the flames.

If he signs within a lower AAV, it will need to come with a NTC. He won’t sign a bargain contract only to get traded.
Where are you getting that? Kylington has already told Conroy he is committed to playing in the NHL going forward.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 08:29 PM   #65
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Where are you getting that? Kylington has already told Conroy he is committed to playing in the NHL going forward.
Outdated information (I hope). I definitely heard it was up in the air for a while.

I do agree Kylington is going to want an NTC, and for good reason.
Old 04-21-2024, 08:30 PM   #66
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Outdated information (I hope). I definitely heard it was up in the air for a while.
I can't see that changing since garbage bag day. Nothing I have heard anyhow.
Old 04-21-2024, 08:36 PM   #67
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can't see that changing since garbage bag day. Nothing I have heard anyhow.
I think Conroy mentioned it somewhere in his usual 10,000,000-word interview that day.
Old 04-21-2024, 11:57 PM   #68
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry, I missed that. I assume he hasn’t signed yet though?
Old 04-21-2024, 11:59 PM   #69
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post

I do agree Kylington is going to want an NTC, and for good reason.
I assume you meant updated info ?
Old 04-22-2024, 01:38 AM   #70
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Kuzmenko injected unpredictability into the powerplay. Before that, the PP was very predictable and easily defended.
Very well put.

Creativity/unpredictability is key to an effective PP once it's establed possession in the zone which is its own thing. The less the defending team can anticipate and gane plan effectively to counter, the better your conversion rate is likely to be.

It pays to have a creative x-factor like Kuzzy

Watching the team pass around the diamond for years outside of whatever magic Gaudreau came up with was always a chore.
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 02:25 AM   #71
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Sorry, I missed that. I assume he hasn’t signed yet though?
Not yet, I think talks will begin this week.