Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2019, 11:52 AM   #201
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
Looking at Cap Friendly, there is now just over 7 million to get Tkachuk and Mangiapane signed...let alone any of the PTOs. How is this supposed to work?
There will be at least one trade. As you pointed out, there has to be.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 11:57 AM   #202
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Looking at Cap Friendly, there is now just over 7 million to get Tkachuk and Mangiapane signed...let alone any of the PTOs. How is this supposed to work?
They obviously need to move someone, or a couple players. When Valimaki's LTIR kicks in the Flames will have $7,950,791. They currently have 12 forwards on the roster accounting for cap, so when Mangiapane and Tkachuk sign one forward will be assigned to the AHL. Suppose that player is Czarnik—of whom (I believe) the Flames can bury $1.0 m of his cap hit. He essentially would be replaced, then, by Mangiapane with almost no cap increase. If Tkachuk comes in under $8.5 m, then there really only needs to be a small trade or two. If the Flames traded Frolik and retained $2.0 m of his salary, that would do it.

We will see what happens, but the Flames are not without options, and the situation is not (yet) as dire as it can appear on CapFriendly .

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 12:00 PM   #203
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I know, my jokes just aren't funny.

If memory serves, Jordan Leopold, Chris Higgins (kinda), Carey Wilson, Mike Vernon, Jim Peplinski, Phil Housley, and Brian McGrattan are all also two-term Flames.

Edit: Steve Begin, Jason Wiemer, and Cale Hulse, too
Curtis Joseph!
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2019, 12:03 PM   #204
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you factor in the ability to use Valimaki's salary for LTIR space, they have just under $8 million to work with.

If they end up signing any of the PTOs, it will likely be for relatively small cap hits and any roster spot they take up will be offset by getting rid of (trade/waiver/AHL) someone else who's pencilled onto the roster currently.
Old 09-12-2019, 02:04 PM   #205
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
If you factor in the ability to use Valimaki's salary for LTIR space, they have just under $8 million to work with.

If they end up signing any of the PTOs, it will likely be for relatively small cap hits and any roster spot they take up will be offset by getting rid of (trade/waiver/AHL) someone else who's pencilled onto the roster currently.
Seems to me Treliving has put himself into a corner where he has to move a relatively significant roster player to a team that is willing to take on salary without returning any back (so picks and prospects). Looks like Frolik will be gone for peanuts.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 04:13 PM   #206
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Seems to me Treliving has put himself into a corner where he has to move a relatively significant roster player to a team that is willing to take on salary without returning any back (so picks and prospects). Looks like Frolik will be gone for peanuts.
Or, put another way, Treliving has managed to put together a roster good enough where a second line winger is good enough to make first line dollars.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:33 PM   #207
The Last Jedi
Lifetime Suspension

Watching the game last night I pointed out to my buddy how Stone was getting paid more to NOT play for the Flames this season than he is TO play for the Flames this season.

I would like to find a job like that.
The Last Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Last Jedi For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2019, 05:14 PM   #208
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is a good depth signing at the right price considering the lack of available defencemen at this stage. Ideally Stone plays 20-30 games to help keep pushing those ahead of him, and is an okay #6 in case of another D injury. Now downside here.

Not sure how he gets a one-way at this stage, with no other offers, but it's pretty clear Treliving loves the guy. No affect on the Flames' cap situation and it's not my money, so couldn't care less just an observation.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote