Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2017, 09:35 AM   #1141
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
“I’ll stand by that decision for the rest of my life,” said the 27-year-old Stampeders quarterback following emotional exit meetings.

“You guys don’t play the game. It was the smart play. It was the right play. I just missed the throw. If that ball is three yards farther we’re celebrating and talking about ring sizes.”
As much as I love Bo, I disagree. Throwing into double coverage is not a smart play.

Injury wise

Quote:
Mitchell also came clean Tuesday on the shoulder injury the football world figured he was dealing with throughout the season.

“Basically the word we used earlier in the season was ‘frayed’ — I guess some of the muscles are frayed — small, small tears,” said Mitchell of the discomfort in his throwing shoulder that prompted him to see an orthopedic surgeon later in the day for more tests.

“Honestly, towards the end of the season, it started to feel pretty dang good, and as long as it was going that way, we felt positive it wasn’t a bigger tear. It didn’t affect me in the games. I thought it was smart the way (Stampeders head coach) Dave (Dickenson) allowed me to handle it at the end of the season. I appreciate it.”

http://calgarysun.com/sports/footbal...g-interception
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:41 AM   #1142
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I love Bo

But he looked like a Bantam QB on that pick, he was staring down the receiver all the way down the field.

Of course the safety is going to roll down on it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:15 PM   #1143
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think he should retire the Bo Show.

Call me old fashioned, but focus on the football during the football season.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 12:48 PM   #1144
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I love Bo

But he looked like a Bantam QB on that pick, he was staring down the receiver all the way down the field.

Of course the safety is going to roll down on it.
I do feel that Michell was open if he threw it one second earlier before the safety had a chance to get in the picture we may have been celebrating a GC. Bo's always been the type of guy to go for the big play/low percentage 40 yard pass on 2nd and 3 yards when there's a man open underneath. If there's one thing I would change about him it would be for him to play the percentages better. You have QB's that overly rely on short passes and on the other extreme you have Bo. A happy medium would be ideal QB.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:18 PM   #1145
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I flew back from Ottawa yesterday. Outside of the ridiculous loss, pretty good weekend all around. That Landsdown Park Complex is absolutely great. Vibrant area with a bunch of bars, restaurants, and condos building up around it. I was really getting a little perturbed about the facilities in Calgary, and that may have put me over the edge. Really frustrating that every city in Canada appears to be able to have nice things while we can’t in Calgary. Anyone who doubts the public benefit of a stadium district need only spend about 5 minutes in Landsdowne park.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2017, 08:06 AM   #1146
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I flew back from Ottawa yesterday. Outside of the ridiculous loss, pretty good weekend all around. That Landsdown Park Complex is absolutely great. Vibrant area with a bunch of bars, restaurants, and condos building up around it. I was really getting a little perturbed about the facilities in Calgary, and that may have put me over the edge. Really frustrating that every city in Canada appears to be able to have nice things while we can’t in Calgary. Anyone who doubts the public benefit of a stadium district need only spend about 5 minutes in Landsdowne park.
I totally agree with this, I was amazed by the facility and everything around it at the Grey Cup. Any new facility we plan in Calgary needs to be built-up like that, other wise it will just be a lost opportunity.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:30 AM   #1147
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lansdowne_Park

The estimated cost to the city for the stadium renovation and its share of the parking development is $129.3 million. OSEG's funding of the commercial redevelopment and its share of the parking is $118 million.[16][17][18] The urban park is estimated to cost $35 million and $8.5 million has been spent for a new trade show and exhibition hall built near Ottawa airport, to replace the existing space at Lansdowne. The total estimated cost is $290.8 million, $172.8 million coming from the city.[16] The city retains ownership of the site, leasing the commercial and retail component to pay off the debt under a revenue-sharing formula with OSEG.[16]
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:51 AM   #1148
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pipe dream at this point obviously, but it would have been amazing to have a joint site with an arena, stadium and entertainment district.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:58 AM   #1149
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Pipe dream at this point obviously, but it would have been amazing to have a joint site with an arena, stadium and entertainment district.
I still think this can be done. In my perfect world, the Flames would build a new arena next to the Stampede grounds as proposed. I would then accept the city fully funding a stadium next door where the bus barns are. The entertainment district/condos would wind between the two facilities and into Stampede park. Based on costs, the arena can be done for $500 million (Edmonton replica), and the stadium for between $200-300 million based on Winnipeg's and Saskatchewan's stadiums. Total $800 million for two sport specific facilities. Private investment would take care of the entertainment district. Still cheaper then Calgary next.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Familia For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2017, 11:44 AM   #1150
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Agreed. Just DON'T put a permanent roof on the football field!! It's the reason why I was against the CalgaryNEXT project
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:17 PM   #1151
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's been done at Lansdowne can be done at McMahon. The university has done inquires to develop the land around McMahon. With Banff Trail next door which also has the foundation for redevelopment, there's strong potential in the area.

I feel once the arena deal gets done, attention will move on to McMahon renovations and area redevelopment.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:25 PM   #1152
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
What's been done at Lansdowne can be done at McMahon. The university has done inquires to develop the land around McMahon. With Banff Trail next door which also has the foundation for redevelopment, there's strong potential in the area.

I feel once the arena deal gets done, attention will move on to McMahon renovations and area redevelopment.
Not a chance. That’s the NIMBY capital of the world over by McMahon. They won’t let them have a concert, not a chance in hell they don’t fight an entertainment district tooth and nail.

You have to build an entertainment district in a new development or revitalization area. That way the condos/houses get built around the stadium and not the other way around. That solves the NIMBY problem. The residential areas only attract those who want to live amongst the hustle and bustle. You aren’t stuck with a bunch of white hairs like you have over by McMahon fighting progress at every opportunity you can.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 11-30-2017 at 06:29 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2017, 08:07 PM   #1153
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not a chance. That’s the NIMBY capital of the world over by McMahon. They won’t let them have a concert, not a chance in hell they don’t fight an entertainment district tooth and nail.

You have to build an entertainment district in a new development or revitalization area. That way the condos/houses get built around the stadium and not the other way around. That solves the NIMBY problem. The residential areas only attract those who want to live amongst the hustle and bustle. You aren’t stuck with a bunch of white hairs like you have over by McMahon fighting progress at every opportunity you can.
Is there any articles or records of the community preventing concerts from occurring? I know there has been shows at McMahon in the past. The 2013 flood concert, as well Monsters of Rock with Ozzy in '08 off the top of my head. Have there been more attempted shows that were prevented? Or has it been moreso the case promoters don't attempt outdoor Calgary shows? With Edmonton 2 hours north, and having a much bigger and better venue, it makes more sense to do one big show there, rather than pay the costs for two big shows within short distance. (And one half the capacity)

It seems kinda weird since the area already has to deal with noise coming from the Stamps game. Not to mention it's located right by the university, so a fair portion of the residents are students and young adults, as well the homes nearby the stadium are condos. And this is a part of the town that is going to get more density built overtime thanks to the development of surrounding communities, like the new University District, stadium shopping centre redevelopment (which should be starting within a year or so), recent land use changes to Banff Trail community itself, along with TOD development for Motel Village. All in all, it seems to be bizarre that this area would be extremely NIMBY since it's already an area that deals with noise at times, has density buildings, and by all indications, is going to increase in density significantly over the next few decades to fulfill the city's intention of turning this area into an urban NW HUB.

With all of that said, I think since the university owns the land, the community can't really do much if the school wants to build another urban community around McMahon lands. There were residents in the community that did try to fight the stadium shopping centre development, but ultimately were not successful. So there may be some kicking and screaming, but if the development makes sense for the future of the area, there's not much they're not gonna be able to stop it. So I don't believe doing something ambitious for the McMahon area is impossible. In fact, I think quite the opposite.

Plus, I just don't see where the money would come from for a new, ~200M stadium since the city and Flames would have already invested enough into a new arena. I don't believe either would have the appetite in putting another big chunk of change to a venue that will only get a little over 10 uses per year. And you aren't gonna get it from the province or federal government. I see them putting money down on the fieldhouse, as well the Olympics if that pans out.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 10:40 PM   #1154
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Is there any articles or records of the community preventing concerts from occurring? I know there has been shows at McMahon in the past. The 2013 flood concert, as well Monsters of Rock with Ozzy in '08 off the top of my head. Have there been more attempted shows that were prevented? Or has it been moreso the case promoters don't attempt outdoor Calgary shows? With Edmonton 2 hours north, and having a much bigger and better venue, it makes more sense to do one big show there, rather than pay the costs for two big shows within short distance. (And one half the capacity)

It seems kinda weird since the area already has to deal with noise coming from the Stamps game. Not to mention it's located right by the university, so a fair portion of the residents are students and young adults, as well the homes nearby the stadium are condos. And this is a part of the town that is going to get more density built overtime thanks to the development of surrounding communities, like the new University District, stadium shopping centre redevelopment (which should be starting within a year or so), recent land use changes to Banff Trail community itself, along with TOD development for Motel Village. All in all, it seems to be bizarre that this area would be extremely NIMBY since it's already an area that deals with noise at times, has density buildings, and by all indications, is going to increase in density significantly over the next few decades to fulfill the city's intention of turning this area into an urban NW HUB.

With all of that said, I think since the university owns the land, the community can't really do much if the school wants to build another urban community around McMahon lands. There were residents in the community that did try to fight the stadium shopping centre development, but ultimately were not successful. So there may be some kicking and screaming, but if the development makes sense for the future of the area, there's not much they're not gonna be able to stop it. So I don't believe doing something ambitious for the McMahon area is impossible. In fact, I think quite the opposite.

Plus, I just don't see where the money would come from for a new, ~200M stadium since the city and Flames would have already invested enough into a new arena. I don't believe either would have the appetite in putting another big chunk of change to a venue that will only get a little over 10 uses per year. And you aren't gonna get it from the province or federal government. I see them putting money down on the fieldhouse, as well the Olympics if that pans out.
There was a huge uproar over the Monster of Rock concert by the surrounding neighbourhood. You’ll notice there’s never been another show since other than the Flood relief show. Even then I believe there was some uproar about the flood concert at McMahon but they couldn’t really say anything without looking like completely heartless individuals. I’m sure there are some articles out there if you wanted to look, but for as long as I’ve lived here the general consensus was any
Commercial development on or just South of the Univeriry campus was a no go.

The Universiry district is nowhere near the central neighbourhoods around McMahon. It doesn’t really effect them at all. On a plot of land off on its own that was previously undeveloped.

Doesn’t matter anyways. We aren’t getting a new football stadium without a winning Olympic bid. New arena is priority #1 and I even question if that will even get done within the next decade. I was pretty against Calgary Next, but I’m slowly starting to see that’s our only chance at getting all the facilities we need outside of hosting the Olympics. So unfortunate the Flames marketing job around that concept was one of the worst of all time.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:08 PM   #1155
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Stamps made the list of famous fumbles:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fumble#Famous_fumbles
Old 12-05-2017, 11:01 PM   #1156
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Listening to Bo on his show today basically telling anyone who disagrees with that last call that they are fan and don’t know the game doesn’t sit well with me. I respect his willingness to discuss it publically, but it’s too soon to be running your mouth like that.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 12-05-2017 at 11:04 PM.
Old 12-05-2017, 11:24 PM   #1157
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Technically, I think the university has been gifted the land where McMahon is.
I think that’s he City owns Foothills and all that area around that. Regardless, no major changes are going to happen up there.

Before the Monsters of Rock I think the last concert there was Lilith Fair years back and that was an afternoon. And a capella along with sting guitars aren't likely to cause noise issues.
But yes, no way that gets developed up there with the noise bylaws and traffic resctictions up there.

Would Nenshi even put up 60% of the funds for a similar project, like Ottawa did? It got a football team back because of it too.

As for Mitchell, I think he figured he was on fire as that last drive he threw 3 straight darts and very good throws, and figured he was a bit more invincible.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:33 AM   #1158
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Listening to Bo on his show today basically telling anyone who disagrees with that last call that they are fan and don’t know the game doesn’t sit well with me. I respect his willingness to discuss it publically, but it’s too soon to be running your mouth like that.
He explained it as best he could and said he under threw the ball, his mistake.

Key points:
-backup was covering Michel.
-Michel had ran by the backup on previous plays 3 times.
-Had an other go route right beside it to clear the safety.
-Marqauy had fallen down.
-Go for win instead of tie.

Hate the outcome as much as you do but if he doesnt under throw and it's a TD we're applauding him. Instead he under threw and admitted that was his mistake.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Da_Chief For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2017, 09:20 AM   #1159
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What was the right call there? If you say run that's flat out insane.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:22 AM   #1160
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I probably wouldn't have run the ball like people are advocating, but here's what we probably know

The Argo's were going to rush three.

They would drop their linebackers into hooks and curls. Their secondary would drop back with the corners looking for outs.

They expected the stamps to take the shot and MM falling killed the play as the safety could come over the top.

So what would I do if I was being paid the big bucks.

I'd run a ace set trips right. I'd have Messam in the backfield as the run threat, I'd put Finch to tight end even though I'm not interested in him blocking at all.

I'd want to attack the middle of the field with multiple routes to freeze the safety and I'd run at least one go route deep. At the same time, I'm running a 35 play action to Messam to maybe freeze the coverage for that half second, and I'd have Finch on an arrow to the Trips side so if he did catch the ball, he'd have the side line and the blocking.

Maybe something like this.

Now I'm trying to force the argo's into some one on one decisions and two on one on the trips side. I want Daniels shooting the seam, which influences the half in zone. I'd want Brescacin do a wheel up the side lines to pull the corner zone deep. Michel and McDaviels are running inside routes deep and shallow to pull the safety. Messam becomes a dump route and Finch maybe gets a break because he's going against the Grain.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote