Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-12-2017, 12:33 PM   #1
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Property Tax Changes

Not sure if this is a fata or not, but wondering if anyone else received notice that property taxes are switching to a calendar format as opposed to the previous mid year renewals? Along with this our rates are going up 30 dollars a month without much of an explanation as to why and no new home assessment.

The new green carts and the 3.8% rate increase still only accounts for a roughly 20 dollar increase per month by my math. Am I missing another fee that has been added along the way? Certainly assessments could not have gone up much in this economy.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 12-12-2017 at 12:49 PM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:20 PM   #2
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Green cart (and blue cart) is charged on your utility bill, not on your property tax.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 03:24 PM   #3
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Am I missing another fee that has been added along the way?
It's the "the election is over" fee.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2017, 03:29 PM   #4
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Not sure if this is a fata or not, but wondering if anyone else received notice that property taxes are switching to a calendar format as opposed to the previous mid year renewals?
Not sure what you mean - if you pay mid-year (lump payment), it is for the calendar year.

http://www.calgary.ca/CFOD/Finance/P.../property-tax/

You can pay monthly instead (TIPP).
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:12 AM   #5
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Not sure what you mean - if you pay mid-year (lump payment), it is for the calendar year.

http://www.calgary.ca/CFOD/Finance/P.../property-tax/

You can pay monthly instead (TIPP).
The notice from the city we received indicated that the pre-payment scheme is changing and therefore the monthly rates are being adjusted or something to that effect.

We have paid monthly for the last 5 years and have never received a notice in the mail saying our property tax rates are rising effective January 1st. All changes have always been after the assessment period in June.
Old 12-13-2017, 08:29 AM   #6
Arsenal14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

http://www.calgary.ca/cfod/finance/P...t-Changes.aspx

I got the same adjustment - our monthly payment went up about $20. Sounds like there was some rebate that had resulted in lower payments than usual for the past six months and those no longer apply for the next six. I don't really understand and being a new homeowner I don't know if this is normal or not but I assume it's not worth my time trying to fight it or worry too much about it.
Arsenal14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arsenal14 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2017, 12:50 PM   #7
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal14 View Post
http://www.calgary.ca/cfod/finance/P...t-Changes.aspx

I got the same adjustment - our monthly payment went up about $20. Sounds like there was some rebate that had resulted in lower payments than usual for the past six months and those no longer apply for the next six. I don't really understand and being a new homeowner I don't know if this is normal or not but I assume it's not worth my time trying to fight it or worry too much about it.
I have since called the city and got the run-around about how this happens all the time to people on TIPP yada yada yada. Not a single person could explain why our rates didn't change last January but for some reason are this year. Long story short if you don't want to deal with the unpredictable fluctuations in your tax payments, just pay upfront.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 12-13-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:07 PM   #8
CPK80
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I think this would be because last year council voted in using savings to cover 2017 property tax increase. That rebate will expire in January.

http://calgaryherald.com/news/politi...elief-for-2017
CPK80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:18 PM   #9
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

We've been on tipp and always get that notice. They increase it to estimate what the new payment will be... Makes for a smaller jump or no jump in June when numbers are finalized
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlamesKickAss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2017, 01:21 PM   #10
FlamesKickAss
Franchise Player

Exp:

However it would be nice if I could get mine.... Budgeting is a lot easier the further out the notice is received...
FlamesKickAss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 02:01 PM   #11
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesKickAss View Post
We've been on tipp and always get that notice. They increase it to estimate what the new payment will be... Makes for a smaller jump or no jump in June when numbers are finalized
Yeah I'm pretty sure it is just the normal rebalancing to either make up for the shortfall or reduce your payment so you don't pay too much.

If you take your last 6 months TIPP payments and your next 6 months TIPP payments you'll see that they average out to the exact amount of your property tax bill.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 08:19 PM   #12
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I have been on TIPP since 1990. Every year the monthly withdrawal goes up in January. Then when the mill rate is finalized in May, I get notice of a lower rate for the next six months.

There is no conspiracy here.
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:12 PM   #13
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

It actually seems to lower for the first six months of the year and then raise for the last six years because the mill rate and property valuation increases every year without incident. I think it is the whole death and taxes thing.

My experience is that property values increase and the mill rate. So when the city announces it's budget and sets the mill rate, it's no reflective of the true tax rate an individual pays. In theory, all property values are pooled and then the mill rate is set. However, in experience there are two parts to the equation which play with final property assessment value. So it's important to pay attention to your property tax value. Mill rate you can't control, other then through the election and choosing a financially responsible council.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote