Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Best player to wear this number
Bill Clement 0 0%
Dan Quinn 2 0.74%
Gary Roberts 247 91.14%
Dave Lowry 6 2.21%
Tony Amonte 3 1.11%
Brian McGrattan 9 3.32%
Niklas Hagman 0 0%
Blake Comeau 0 0%
Roman Cervenka 1 0.37%
Kris Versteeg 0 0%
Derek Ryan 3 1.11%
Voters: 271. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-05-2020, 04:07 PM   #21
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Oh was that why he left? I was still fairly young so maybe I wasn't quite up to snuff on all the details regarding his departure...but I thought he requested to play in the Eastern Conference because his back couldn't handle all the extra travel of a Western Conference team.

I thought he only had a couple years left at that point, I remember being a little salty that he ended up playing over a decade after that and remained an impact player, as I felt that meant he had exaggerated his pain just to get out of Calgary (not saying that's the case, it's just where my spurned feelings went as a lad). He was such a warrior.
Well, first he retired after that return stint at both the request of the Flames and doctors because he was still having issues.

He sat out the entire next season, but then thought he could come back and the Flames really didn't think he was making the right call by attempting another comeback and iirc, didn't want to be responsible if he got reinjured in some way, and found a trading partner for him.

Sure the east may be less travel but that was more a convenient excuse then a legit one.considering the amount of abuse taken in games is the same.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 04:24 PM   #22
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Sure the east may be less travel but that was more a convenient excuse then a legit one.considering the amount of abuse taken in games is the same.
Yeah exactly, hence why I was a little salty about that reason when he was still an impact player a decade later ha-ha. I seem to recall in his final season in 2009, some buzz going into the trade deadline that Calgary may pick him up. I think he even said afterwards it would have been a cool way to close out his career that way. But they ended up getting Jokinen and Jordan Leopold instead.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 08:21 PM   #23
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Honorable mention to Lowry.
Dave Lowry as the former captain, got sent down to the minors by Gilbert. He played 22 games down there in 2002, Sutter became coach,and he was back up.

He tore some internal muscles in a game January 2004.

He didn’t come back until the Wings series where he lasted one game, then had to sit a game, then played the rest of the games. He got the hard hat that game, and the next game, gave the hard hat to black ace Turek, who hadn’t played a game that playoffs yet.
Actually, Lowry didn't play in the SCF Game 3. How do I know? I watched it last night and was annoyed with Darryl when CBC introduced the lineups. Dave Lowry was awesome and should have been in that game. The arena was so so jacked it was unreal.

But Gary Roberts was more awesome. Watching that 53 goal season unfold was just unbelievable. Before that year, you never could have convinced me Roberts was a future 50-goal guy.
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:32 PM   #24
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I was at that game. Roberts is the type of player this organization has been missing for some time. He was the total package of skill, toughness, and leadership.
I was there, too. Great player. Love this thread.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 11:55 PM   #25
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
It was his 2nd game. He scored one goal in his first game. He scored in 8 consecutive games upon his return and had 16 points in those 8 games.
Hartford was the first game back and first goal. I knew I had seen it on the web at some point; here it is, at the 1:29 mark.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 01:07 AM   #26
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Hartford was the first game back and first goal. I knew I had seen it on the web at some point; here it is, at the 1:29 mark.
I remember listening to this on 66cfr
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote