Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 04-04-2020, 08:57 PM   #41
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Peters gets the HC job, he's likely going to try and get some of the familiar people to go with him as assistant coaches. Perhaps, some retired Russian NHL'ers.
Old 04-04-2020, 10:52 PM   #42
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

He made a big mistake. Maybe many. Years ago ! I’m happy for him if true. He deserves another chance maybe.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:12 AM   #43
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Have you ever listened to rap music? the "N" word is usually repeated 30 times a song, why is it ok to play that crap in a dressing room full of white hockey players? Peters ranting the "N" word was totally wrong but Akim shouldn't have played it either.

The double standard on the "N" word is tiresome
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:44 AM   #44
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passe La Puck View Post
What the hell nonsense is this? Just because there aren't many targets for racism doesn't mean people aren't racist!
It actually does. Racism is a racial prejudice or discrimination. It is kinda hard to prejudice or discriminate black people when there are almost no black people at the first place. Average Russians basically don't give a damn about a race that lives across the globe, rather than actively hate them. Historically, russians and black people had almost no connections, we had no slavery, no black communities, there are no black homeless people on the streets, etc. There are no historical or economical reasons to hate black race. Russians are a tad xenophobic for sure and being half - jewish I have experienced some of that, but that xenophobia is targeted to other ethnic groups, who are actually present and involved on Russian lives. Being racist in Russia is kinda pointless, it's like if Canadians would hate Australian indigenous people.

Last edited by Pointman; 04-05-2020 at 06:47 AM.
Pointman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 06:59 AM   #45
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I do find it funny that you've equated a lack of races to a lack of racism.

You mean to tell me that all we had to do to conquer racism was eliminate the existence of all those pesky other races. Ethnic cleansing?

Why has nobody thought of this before?
Racism in daily life of ordinary people is being fueled by constant interactions with members of the other race. When those interactions are frequent and sometimes go wrong, it adds up to racism. Incidents such as denying a job for a candidate of another race, being robbed by a member of another race, having problems with neighbour or landlord of another race, all fuel racism. Without such, people have no reason to be actively racist and, aside from teenagers who make up large parts of sports fans in Russia, people here are not racist and have no real need or reason to become such.
Old 04-05-2020, 08:09 AM   #46
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointman View Post
It actually does. Racism is a racial prejudice or discrimination. It is kinda hard to prejudice or discriminate black people when there are almost no black people at the first place. Average Russians basically don't give a damn about a race that lives across the globe, rather than actively hate them. Historically, russians and black people had almost no connections, we had no slavery, no black communities, there are no black homeless people on the streets, etc. There are no historical or economical reasons to hate black race. Russians are a tad xenophobic for sure and being half - jewish I have experienced some of that, but that xenophobia is targeted to other ethnic groups, who are actually present and involved on Russian lives. Being racist in Russia is kinda pointless, it's like if Canadians would hate Australian indigenous people.
You know there are more than two races in the world, right? Prejudice and hostility against Central Asians is racism too.

And it’s typically insular, homogenous regions that are most racist. Rural Saskatchewan is more racist towards Asians than Toronto is because Asians are less common in the former. There are more incidents of racism towards black footballers in Poland and Russia than in the Netherlands and France for the same reason.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 04-05-2020 at 08:14 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 10:55 AM   #47
Pointman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
You know there are more than two races in the world, right? Prejudice and hostility against Central Asians is racism too.

And it’s typically insular, homogenous regions that are most racist. Rural Saskatchewan is more racist towards Asians than Toronto is because Asians are less common in the former. There are more incidents of racism towards black footballers in Poland and Russia than in the Netherlands and France for the same reason.
There are more than two races in the world, but in the context of the topic it was about hating black people. That being said, russians are fairly xenophobic. I have never denied it.

By the way, when I visited Toronto, it looked like the most diverse city I have ever been to. Houston, which is claimed to be the most diverse city in USA, is nowhere near as diverse, as Toronto. Saskatoon was like 90% white. I have never been to rural Saskatchewan but I assume it is almost entirely white.
Old 04-05-2020, 11:14 AM   #48
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There are more than two races in the world, but in the context of the topic it was about hating black people. That being said, russians are fairly xenophobic. I have never denied it.

By the way, when I visited Toronto, it looked like the most diverse city I have ever been to. Houston, which is claimed to be the most diverse city in USA, is nowhere near as diverse, as Toronto. Saskatoon was like 90% white. I have never been to rural Saskatchewan but I assume it is almost entirely white.
How much have you seen of Houston? It is incredibly diverse and I’m having a hard time figuring out your point in ranking Toronto, Houston and Saskatoon for diversity.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:26 PM   #49
Passe La Puck
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure if you're being intentionally contrarian or if you're just unbelievably naive to think that because Russians are almost all white that it means they aren't racist. There have been countless sporting examples of racial discrimination in Russia. Racism is a plague which afflicts the entire planet, no country is exempt.
Passe La Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:33 PM   #50
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Everyone deserves another chance, including Peters. This is a step towards an inevitable return to the NHL.
Peters chance was to issue a real apology. I lost all respect after that.

Good riddance.
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sempuki For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 01:38 PM   #51
sempuki
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Have you ever listened to rap music? the "N" word is usually repeated 30 times a song, why is it ok to play that crap in a dressing room full of white hockey players? Peters ranting the "N" word was totally wrong but Akim shouldn't have played it either.

The double standard on the "N" word is tiresome
You're telling me that if you've ever said "that was stupid" to yourself, it's a double standard to be offended if other people say the same to you?

You've thought through this precisely zero. And spoken like an entitled boy who's never had to deal with racism. "Oh won't someone think of the poor white guy who can't say the N word!"
sempuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:56 PM   #52
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogerz View Post
Keenan won the Gagarin Cup

Hartley took an underdog team to the Gagarin Cup finals last year

I don't think Peters is as good of a coach as either of those two, but the KHL doesn't sound like a bad gig for any coaches with some gas left in tank
I think the unceremonious ending of Peters's NHL coaching career has badly coloured impressions of his professional abilities. From a tactical standpoint Peters was probably the best coach employed by the Flames since D. Sutter. His downfall seems to have been more relational than professional: an abrasive style punctuated by toxic, insufferable bullying that wore players down over time. Peters certainly deserves credit for the tremendous 2018-19 Flames campaign, and with how poorly the roster responded in October and November it appears that there was a breakdown in the relationship between the players and the coach. I think they like playing for Ward a lot more than they did Peters, but by the same token I don't see that the team looks nearly as good nor as structured and confident with Ward in charge as they ever did last year.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 03:33 PM   #53
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The brilliant tactician didn’t look to have many answers for the Avalanche. Nor did he have many answers for the Hurricanes in four seasons. Or in his shirt second season here. The guy’s a pig which no doubt colors my view but his one stellar NHL regular season shouldn’t be considered in isolation.

Was he a better tactician than Playfair, B. Sutter, Hartley and Gulutzan? Well they all do have one thing in common so maybe.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 04-05-2020, 03:45 PM   #54
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I think the unceremonious ending of Peters's NHL coaching career has badly coloured impressions of his professional abilities. From a tactical standpoint Peters was probably the best coach employed by the Flames since D. Sutter. His downfall seems to have been more relational than professional: an abrasive style punctuated by toxic, insufferable bullying that wore players down over time. Peters certainly deserves credit for the tremendous 2018-19 Flames campaign, and with how poorly the roster responded in October and November it appears that there was a breakdown in the relationship between the players and the coach. I think they like playing for Ward a lot more than they did Peters, but by the same token I don't see that the team looks nearly as good nor as structured and confident with Ward in charge as they ever did last year.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Peters had one system that worked well the first 3/4's of the first season while the team executed and performed hard for a new coach. Once the other teams figured our system out and adapted, Bill Peters had no ability to adapt or change anything.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 01:54 AM   #55
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempuki View Post
You're telling me that if you've ever said "that was stupid" to yourself, it's a double standard to be offended if other people say the same to you?

You've thought through this precisely zero. And spoken like an entitled boy who's never had to deal with racism. "Oh won't someone think of the poor white guy who can't say the N word!"
LOL, I'm half Vietnamese numb-nuts, I've dealt with racism my whole life. I don't want white people to be able to say the "N" word ever, I would like it taken out of language period.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 02:41 AM   #56
Flamesforever99
Draft Pick

**** him, closest he'll get to ever coaching again in the nhl.
Flamesforever99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 07:52 AM   #57
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Color me crazy,
Ok, done.

The fact that you think he said what 99% of people would think suggests that you have a less than firm grasp on the way most people think.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 07:55 AM   #58
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Excited to be in yet another classic CP racism/N-bomb thread!
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2020, 11:02 AM   #59
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
LOL, I'm half Vietnamese numb-nuts, I've dealt with racism my whole life. I don't want white people to be able to say the "N" word ever, I would like it taken out of language period.
But which half has dealt with racism?

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 06:27 AM   #60
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempuki View Post
Peters chance was to issue a real apology. I lost all respect after that.

Good riddance.
Given his contract situation I can't fault a person for following the advice of their lawyer. An apology would be nice and all but in the big picture he knew that was his last big payday and for the sake of his family he had to ensure he didn't say anything incriminating that would give the Flames an opportunity to void money left owing. He made a mistake and he's paid dearly for it and I'm not one of those types of people that believe people should burn at the stake for bad decision making. Hopefully he's had time to look in the mirror, change his ways, and how he treats people. That's all I have to say about the man as he's part of the past now.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote