Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-02-2020, 09:12 AM   #21
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's been mentioned before, but there is an assumption that the team alone decides if the player has their number retired. You need the player to buy into that as well, which some of us believe is why Chopper is part of the lame Forever a Flame program and not a full retirement. I suspect Kipper also doesn't want a big lavish ceremony. Different cat.

As for Fleury - won't get into that except to say I don't support retiring his number at all.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2020, 09:18 AM   #22
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

The best fan experience I had was at a game in Frankfurt. How can we import that kind of atmosphere to the NHL? Encourage "ultra" fan clubs? Flags, songs, rallies. The players were more engaged too - thanking each section of fans after the game.

Last edited by troutman; 04-02-2020 at 09:24 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2020, 09:23 AM   #23
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Well first of all I'd see if Kansas city still wants an NHL franchise and is willing to pay me a bunch of cash and build me a new stadium. Once I had that I'd

Release or trade every decent player I have
Scour every beer league and sign players at rock bottom prices
I'd find a the best amateur coach who is working at a tire shop and convince him to come and manage the Flames for a year
I'd sign the best player in the Canadian penal system
I'd sign a retread goaltender who is playing in the Mexican league
I'd replace the state of the art workout equipment and rehabilitation equipment with piles of bricks and buckets
No more team air charters, these players have it too good, I'd hire a team bus for all road trips driving by a stoner named Rusty.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2020, 09:27 AM   #24
BigT112
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

1) Retro uniforms full time. 2004 Home jersey as a full time alternate with the pedestal or Blasty coming out for retro nights/special events.
2) Fully retire 2 & 25. Retire #14 and #34 over the course of two seasons. #14 during my first season of ownership and #34 in my second. No more jersey retirements after those until the Flames make a cup final again (we aren’t Vancouver but I’ll consider a special circumstance for #5). Maybe institute a Ring of Honour type thing for people who made significant contributions to the Flames over the years, not limited top players (Regehr, King, Maher etc.)
3) Allow the players to pick their own goal songs. Similar to Walk-Up songs in baseball.
4) Upgrade the amateur scouting program. Going to invest a lot of money in this.
5) I know you said no roster meddling, but the Flames would be crazy not to try to sign one of the top tier coaches available right now. Ward can no back to be an associate. Money is no object.
6) Bring in new marketing team, with a fresh voice and new ideas to keep up with latest trends. Up the social media presence of the Flames. Provide new and unique content, encouraging the players to give good answers and not the canned garbage we constantly hear from players now.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:32 AM   #25
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post

As for Fleury - won't get into that except to say I don't support retiring his number at all.
I was going to say, if you bought the Flames, you'd probably get the full story as to why Fleury's number isn't retired. Then, you'd likely agree with that decision. FTR, I have no information on the "full" story, but strongly suspect there is one.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:51 PM   #26
Pellanor
Backup Goalie

Exp:

1. Talk to their analytics guys. Find out what they know that we don't.
2. Get the inside scoop on why Bennett never gets sustained top 6 time.
3. I want the Flames to be a leader when it comes to providing a good experience for cable cutters. Talk to Twitch and see if there's some sort of deal we can make with them. I could see Amazon being interested in experimenting since Seattle's getting a team. At the very least handle the preseason games better than the current gong show.
4. Look for more ways to get fan engagement with the players. Need to make sure it's balanced so the players' performance isn't affected. I'd love to get more trash talk and rivalries going.
Pellanor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 01:53 PM   #27
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
I was going to say, if you bought the Flames, you'd probably get the full story as to why Fleury's number isn't retired. Then, you'd likely agree with that decision. FTR, I have no information on the "full" story, but strongly suspect there is one.
That our ownership are a bunch of dicks. There is your story.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2020, 01:55 PM   #28
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaskal View Post
Be available by phone on important days like the TDL, the draft, or the 1st day of free agency.
Solid belly laugh
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 02:03 PM   #29
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
The best fan experience I had was at a game in Frankfurt. How can we import that kind of atmosphere to the NHL? Encourage "ultra" fan clubs? Flags, songs, rallies. The players were more engaged too - thanking each section of fans after the game.

I went to a couple of Erste Bank Eishockey Liga (Austrian League) games before and the atmosphere was incredible. Everyone just so happy and polite.

I was talking to one lady who brings her kids all the time and she said that families go because it is relatively inexpensive compared to soccer and you also don't get the hooligans, fighting, and loud mouths.
Old 04-02-2020, 02:15 PM   #30
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
That our ownership are a bunch of dicks. There is your story.
Both sides probably need to share some of the blame on that one I think, Fleury is no angel himself even when you consider his past issues.

Personally if I buy the Flames I’d probably be the worst owner. No way in hell could I own a sports franchise and then not try and run it like I was playing NHL20 Be A GM mode.

I’d be owner GM and be making the decisions. I would trust my staff though and ensure we were leveraging any advantage we could whether it was hiring more staff or building a huge analytics department.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 04-02-2020 at 02:20 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 02:22 PM   #31
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'd leverage the community goodwill of the organization into a series of exceptionally profitable private ventures.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2020, 02:35 PM   #32
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
The intro music prior to the anthems is way too loud though. And then Beasley has to yell over it for the starting lineup. The combination literally makes my ears hurt.
That's the problem with announcers like Beasley who don't have that natural big broadcasting voice: they just yell instead to compensate for it. I've accepted him by now as he's been doing it long enough, but I've never been big on him because of that. You either have the natural chops or you don't.

Agreed about the jerseys too, full time retros (I'm sure this is already happening next year regardless), with a former Flames jersey as a third. I wouldn't do it all at once though, better to do each third every year to ensure each one gets lots of purchases. Blasty, the pedestal, and the 04 reds will all get their turn I'm sure.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 02:35 PM   #33
GomerPile
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I would dig into the books and publicly announce what the team earned year over year, off the backs of their fans.

I would implement that ownership can only profit 10% annually on costs, the rest to be reinvested back into the team and or savings in concessions, ticket prices, and community.

Transparency would get buy-in from the community, and I would sell 35% back to local stakeholders to earn the same 10% dividend.

I would then have so much public support, I would run for Mayor and win. Then I would convince the city to give me, its Mayor, 100% of the funding needed to build my 1 Billion Dollar Hockey Mecca. Thus attracting the best players on the planet, leading to cup after cup and millions of dollars of local investment back into the community.
GomerPile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GomerPile For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2020, 02:44 PM   #34
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would sell them and invest in something where people leave you alone and don't get mad and call you greedy for making a meager profit
Old 04-02-2020, 02:45 PM   #35
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Regarding marketing (and I don't follow the Flames closely so maybe this is already being done):

Get the players and team out into the community more. And not just in Calgary. Calgary (the city) is a small market and a lot of fans come from outside the city. Flames need to enhance their presence in places like High River, Lethbridge, Medicine Hat, Brooks, Banff etc. Oilers do a nice job of this. Hockey camps and/or promo visits by the players to small towns, rookie camp in Jasper etc. They promote themselves all across central and northern Alberta.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2020, 03:30 PM   #36
Knut

Exp:

I would base all my decisions on Game Thread posts.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2020, 04:17 PM   #37
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Well first of all I'd see if Kansas city still wants an NHL franchise and is willing to pay me a bunch of cash and build me a new stadium. Once I had that I'd

Release or trade every decent player I have
Scour every beer league and sign players at rock bottom prices
I'd find a the best amateur coach who is working at a tire shop and convince him to come and manage the Flames for a year
I'd sign the best player in the Canadian penal system
I'd sign a retread goaltender who is playing in the Mexican league
I'd replace the state of the art workout equipment and rehabilitation equipment with piles of bricks and buckets
No more team air charters, these players have it too good, I'd hire a team bus for all road trips driving by a stoner named Rusty.

Invite a dead guy to camp on a PTO
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 04:18 PM   #38
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Find new songs they play during game stoppage
Get rid of the organ for anthems
Retire 14, 2, 34
Old 04-02-2020, 04:40 PM   #39
DrDangles92
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nammer403 View Post
Find new songs they play during game stoppage

Get rid of the organ for anthems

Retire 14, 2, 34

We definitely need some new music in the Dome, but the organ is awesome. More organ!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
DrDangles92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 04:45 PM   #40
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

More Lasers