Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-10-2019, 05:31 PM   #1
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Holy eff. I don't game as much as I used to, but this might force me to buy a PS4 finally, and fast.

I remember spending a week and half in my early teens, locked away finishing this without stopping, except for food/bathroom/minimal sleep.

manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 10:00 PM   #2
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

This will always be my favorite game no matter what comes out I spent so many hours in this game back in the day its ridiculous
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 05:10 AM   #3
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have very little faith in modern Square Enix to do this remake justice. Their internal development teams have been a mess for well over a decade and single player FF in particular has been a case of ridiculous development times to achieve flashy graphics and little else of note since FF12 (which was a development mess too, but at least turned out pretty good).

Of course the trailer looks good and we all love the original, and I’ll be checking this out as it’s one of those games that I’ll just need to play and have an opinion on. And I really hope it’s great and captures the magic of the original. But, yeah... Square has let me down too many times the last ten years to get the benefit of the doubt here.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2019, 09:09 AM   #4
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I hated the combat in FF XV. Final Fantasy should be turn-based. If this is real-time combat I won't be playing it. Basically I want the original's mechanics with better graphics.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:49 AM   #5
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Complaining about how a series that has always changed and modernized should go back to design decisions from a quarter century ago has always been silly to me. They aren't going to hold a AAA game back to ancient standards just because a handful of fans are stuck in the past.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 11:52 AM   #6
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I hated the combat in FF XV. Final Fantasy should be turn-based. If this is real-time combat I won't be playing it. Basically I want the original's mechanics with better graphics.
I couldn't agree more. FF should be a turn based game. They've ruined the series trying to be like every other AAA game out there.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 12:20 PM   #7
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Complaining about how a series that has always changed and modernized should go back to design decisions from a quarter century ago has always been silly to me. They aren't going to hold a AAA game back to ancient standards just because a handful of fans are stuck in the past.
I would agree with you but this isn't a new IP. A remake should improve on things that weren't possible when the original was made, like graphics, and keep basic things like characters, story, and genre-defining mechanics.

What's ancient about turn-based combat anyway? The best modern RPGs still are. They can make it an action game if they want but I won't play it. Have fun button mashers.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 12:24 PM   #8
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Menu-based isn't really an "ancient standard" though, it's an artistic choice. It's especially disappointing because for all its flaws, FFXIII had some of the most well-designed combat and boss battles of any game in the last decade. Of course the combat needs to evolve from the basic FFVII combat, but it still needs to utilize the parties in a way where AI isn't just playing the game for two thirds of your party, which is the problem in a lot of Action RPGs.

There are many ways to make immensely entertaining, unique, challenging, and creative turn based battle systems. It's not about being stuck in 1997... I don't really even consider the original FFVII playable anymore due to the random encounters and dated combat and weak dungeon design. But I do think turn based is a legitimate genre and games that have kept it alive in the last few console gens - FFXIII, Eternal Sonata, Baten Kaitos, Radiant Historia, Arc Rise Fantasia, Devil Survivor: Overclocked, clearly show that it's not only possible, but can be insanely fun in a way action RPGs can't quite emulate no matter how elaborate their gambit system is.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 12:35 PM   #9
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Other than Dragon Quest, menu defined turn based has been relegated to AA games and below. A number of those are fantastic, but the simple reality is, AAA games are nearly always going to be action based in some fashion these days. And there's nothing wrong with VIIR choosing to be modern.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2019, 01:39 PM   #10
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Persona is turn-based too. So that's 2/3 of the biggest JRPG series doing just fine as turn-based games. Square sees huge success from porting their old games too, and has seen surprising success when they do bother making new turn based games (stuff like Bravely Default and Octopath Traveler far outpaced their sales expectations).

It's not just a small bunch of fans -- Final Fantasy grew to be one of the most successful and popular game IPs with turn based combat, and it's struggled to maintain quality as they've moved farther away from that. When people talk about their favorite FF games it's always IV and VI and VII and IX and X... nobody puts XV as their favorite because it's "modern" game design actually kind of blows in comparison.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2019, 02:59 PM   #11
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn, that trailer looks good. I'm excited. Square doesn't want an exact copy of the original with better graphics, they want the remake to feel like it's own game so I'm not surprised about the change in combat.

Don't have a problem with it being action-based, as long as there's a strategy element to it and you can freely switch between characters, which looks to be the case. It also looks like you might be able to custom assign items and attacks to each button.

I liked FFXV and think it had some good things going for it, but parts of it felt incomplete. I wish the combat required the use of every character from the player. The story could've done a better job with developing the characters outside of the main cast and some of the maps were underwhelming. I wonder how much better it could have been had they stuck to it's original FF Versus concept.

The FF7 story is already great and it sounds like Square has so much content for this game (which is why they're splitting it into multiple parts) so I'm not worried about them getting the details and the maps right.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 03:11 PM   #12
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Number of times I have purchased this game: 4 (PS1, PC, PS3, Xbox One)
Number of times I will have purchased this game if a remake gets released: 5

I'm currently on the final chapter (disc) on the Xbox One version. Such a great game, don't even care that the graphics have aged poorly. I will buy the remake the moment it's available on the X1.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 04:29 PM   #13
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

As far as I know they've only confirmed it to be on PS4 so far? I expect that will change, but still kind of interesting.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:38 PM   #14
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

I kinda want them to remake crisis core.
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:11 AM   #15
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ugh I have no faith in this remake after reading up on it. I gave up on ff games after 13 i waited in line at a midnight release and the game was so linear it was boring af. Why call it ff7 remake if it's going to be a completely different game
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:09 AM   #16
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought Final Fantasy XIII after the last one I played with any consistency was VII, thinking I might enjoy getting back into the series, but you nailed it; linear as hell which really killed it for me.

Not to say that the only two 3D-era Final Fantasy games I've played are VII and XIII. On PS, I played VIII but couldn't get into the story for whatever reason, which I think is where VII was so strong. Not that VIII did poorly by any stretch, just that I didn't find it nearly as engaging and I think the fact that there is still huge interest 22 years later for a remake of VII and comparatively little mention of VIII says a lot about just how good VII was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
As far as I know they've only confirmed it to be on PS4 so far? I expect that will change, but still kind of interesting.
Eh, who knows. The original game has now graced several platforms, so it isn't a stretch that this might be a timed or marketing exclusive (see Destiny), if any exclusive at all.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2019, 09:28 AM   #17
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a friend who lives in NYC and plays in the New York Philharmonic. They recently did a concert of Final Fantasy music with Nobuo Uematsu himself in the audience. She mentioned to me that it had a lot of FF7 music on the program. I wonder if any of it makes it into the game?

If they remake FF8, I'll actually cave and buy a PS4.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:40 AM   #18
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

FF8 is never getting remade. They can't even bother to port over the original like they did with 7 and 9.
Old 05-12-2019, 10:28 AM   #19
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
FF8 is never getting remade. They can't even bother to port over the original like they did with 7 and 9.

That is a freaking tragedy. FF8 had the strongest music of any of the games. I understand it is kind of the odd-ball among the FF games, being a love story and all, but its a shame it has faded so far into obscurity. Highly under-rated game, and I still play the soundtrack a lot all these years later.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:04 AM   #20
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Only confirmed on PS4, but since the remake is still intended to be broken into parts and expanded, We can pretty much assume most or all of it will hit PS5. Whether or not it hits XBox is an unknown, but Square Enix is pretty well known for offering PC ports about a year after the console release. Great way to catch double dippers.