Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-16-2023, 02:19 PM   #1
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default HiFi Audio Setup Thread

Thought I would throw up an all encompassing thread on some of our HiFi setups. I am in the midst of upgrading and am currently running the following:

Amplifier:
Naim Nait 5si

Mains:
Kef LS50 Meta

Phono Pre-Amp:
Rega Fono Mini A2D MK2

Turntable:
Audio Technica AP-LT120X

Streamer:
None

So my next purchase will be a network streamer....which is where I am stuck. I think the Bluesound Node would be plenty for my somewhat entry level system. However, I have thought about the Cambridge Audio CXN 2....or I just say #### it and buy the Naim ND5 XS 2 to match my amp.

After that, I will be upgrading my turntable to a Rega P3.

Let's hear your thoughts and see what everyone has for a setup!
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2023, 03:47 PM   #2
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Technics SL-1200MK3
https://www.technics.com/global/home.../heritage.html

Ortofon 2M Blue
https://www.ortofon.com/ortofon-2m-blue-p-333

Pioneer CT-F1000
https://www.hifiengine.com/manual_li...ct-f1000.shtml

Accuphase C200 Pre-Amplifier & Accuphase P300 Power-Amplifier. Maybe I should recap this one day but you can't beat Japanese capacitors from the 70s. I've seen serviced examples of this pair selling for $10,000 in 2023.
https://www.accuphase.com/cat/pcten.pdf

This was a hobby I was into about a few summers ago and I have much more equipment that I collected in a hipstery phase for vintage tech but I haven't changed anything since then. I think I've pretty much maxed out in terms of high end if your goal is to listen to vintage records. I honestly find myself using my Airpods Pro most of the time. Technology does happen.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 10-16-2023 at 04:03 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2023, 04:07 PM   #3
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Thought I would throw up an all encompassing thread on some of our HiFi setups. I am in the midst of upgrading and am currently running the following:

Amplifier:
Naim Nait 5si

Mains:
Kef LS50 Meta

Phono Pre-Amp:
Rega Fono Mini A2D MK2

Turntable:
Audio Technica AP-LT120X

Streamer:
None

So my next purchase will be a network streamer....which is where I am stuck. I think the Bluesound Node would be plenty for my somewhat entry level system. However, I have thought about the Cambridge Audio CXN 2....or I just say #### it and buy the Naim ND5 XS 2 to match my amp.

After that, I will be upgrading my turntable to a Rega P3.

Let's hear your thoughts and see what everyone has for a setup!
I started with the Audio Technica AP-LT120 back in the day. I discovered the anti-skating was fake and didn't work. I haven't followed AT since and don't know if the LT120X has improved this. Biggest symptom was tonearm drift when tracking a smooth record and jumping inward toward the first track and hugging the inner walls instead of being centered in the groove. Rega P3 should be a nice upgrade but the biggest upgrade you can make is in the cartridge. Platter material and all these other things are mostly myths just like tone wood in guitars.

Modern turntables are works of art but I've seen some vintage ones with full electro-mechanical auto-return or repeat functions and it's a fantastic convenience if you want to leave a record on while you are doing chores, etc.

For network streamer, make the investment if you have high-quality digital audio but digital is digital. A cheap Bluetooth 5.0+ device will be exactly the same as a very expensive appliance with marketing fluff. Most of my digital content is compressed Spotify Free or Youtube streams so I can't tell a difference.

Your modern speakers are a lot better than most vintage ones but that might be because of age in dried up cones and foam. My general theory on hifi audio is that vintage is a great bang for your buck for features and performance if you are listening to line-level 2.0 audio. Modern stuff is better if there is some kind of audio modelling or AI enhancement technology in place but you can get most of this from software. The rest is just a lot of marketing just as has always existed in the audiophile arena.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 10-16-2023 at 04:37 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2023, 04:14 PM   #4
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

My gaming computer uses Mirage 90s era home theatre speakers I got from my grandpa with a 1980 JVC A-X4 which sound seriously awesome for being a $20 pickup. Most of this vintage stuff is from pawn/thrift shops/e-recycling when I was into a hipster thrifting phase. You don't realize how much a giant volume knob, physical equalization sliders, and balance control help with modern media and gaming consumption on the computer. Most of this equipment is 40-50 years old. The only maintenance I've found to be necessary is deoxit spray on knobs and sliders to deal with crackling from oxidization.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 10-16-2023 at 04:17 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2023, 04:47 PM   #5
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I started with the Audio Technica AP-LT120 back in the day. I discovered the anti-skating was fake and didn't work. I haven't followed AT since and don't know if the LT120X has improved this. Biggest symptom was tonearm drift when tracking a smooth record and jumping inward toward the first track and hugging the inner walls instead of being centered in the groove. Rega P3 should be a nice upgrade but the biggest upgrade you can make is in the cartridge. Platter material and all these other things are mostly myths just like tone wood in guitars.

Modern turntables are works of art but I've seen some vintage ones with full electro-mechanical auto-return or repeat functions and it's a fantastic convenience if you want to leave a record on while you are doing chores, etc.

For network streamer, make the investment if you have high-quality digital audio but digital is digital. A cheap Bluetooth 5.0+ device will be exactly the same as a very expensive appliance with marketing fluff. Most of my digital content is compressed Spotify Free or Youtube streams so I can't tell a difference.

Your modern speakers are a lot better than most vintage ones but that might be because of age in dried up cones and foam. My general theory on hifi audio is that vintage is a great bang for your buck for features and performance if you are listening to line-level 2.0 audio. Modern stuff is better if there is some kind of audio modelling or AI enhancement technology in place but you can get most of this from software. The rest is just a lot of marketing just as has always existed in the audiophile arena.
Thanks for sharing and the feedback!

Very nice setup, I have always been intrigued by the vintage market for HiFi audio. I'm just really getting into it now this year one I had some extra money to spend so it's been a fun journey.

Really looking forward to hearing the difference when I pick up the P3. I'll look into a cartridge upgrade for it as well, thanks for all info and suggestions!
Old 10-16-2023, 04:52 PM   #6
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Turntable: Music Hall MMF 5.1
Preamp: Cambridge Audio Azur 540p
Amp: NAD C268
Speakers: Focal Aria 906
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2023, 04:55 PM   #7
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice, always like to see some sweet audio setups.

Myself, I kind of have two setups...an analog setup in one room, and a digital setup in the family room. The digital stuff is definitely a lot more convenient to use for everyone...but when the mood is right, it's hard to beat the analog. There's nothing quite like listening to that perfect record on a cold and rainy night, and seeing the glow of those warm vintage dials.

Vintage setup:
Receiver: Sansui 8080db
Turntable: Luxman PD 277
Speakers: Spendor SP 2/3
Preamp: Audio Hungary APR 204

Modern setup:
All in one: Naim Uniti Atom, streaming Tidal.
Speakers: Dynaudio Evoke 20s and Dynaudio Ceiling speakers
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2023, 12:50 AM   #8
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mine is a POS in comparison.

$50 Vishorn tower speakers
$60 TPA3116 2x 100W power amp from Aliexpress
$200 Allo boss raspberry pi network DAC

I stream Spotify on this set up or stream music from a USB at work. It's also nice that I can control this from a browser with a device on the same wifi.

It works very well for playing music while working. IMO it holds its own easily against set ups 2-3x more expensive.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 06:36 AM   #9
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only thing of note is my awesome Technics SL-Q6 direct drive programmable linear track turntable. I rarely use the program part, but the automatic nature of it sure is nice. I took it from my parents when they no longer listened to records.

I don't have an old school amp to hook it up to, but my Yamaha has a "pure direct" mode that turns off as much digital crap as possible, and it really does make an improvement. Good enoguh for me, anyway.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 07:59 AM   #10
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

My hi-fi setup is a little.. um.. unconventional.

Source - Laptop usually
Receiver/Processor - Pioneer VSX-LX505

Now the Pioneer front pre-outs feed a miniDSP 2x4. I plan to upgrade this to either a MiniDSP Flex or a Hypex FA123. I'm still researching the best active crossover in terms of ADC and SINAD. Right now though, my old miniDSP 2x4 is pretty decent, and can handle a whole bunch of biquad filters I am throwing at it. It's a pretty aggressive sixth-order linkwitz-reilly crossover that no sane person would design.

Now the MiniDSP has two inputs, and four outputs. Someday, once I get the miniDSP upgraded, I would love to get four Purifi amplifers, or even just Hypex NCore. Right now though, the miniDSP feeds four analog surround inputs on a Harman Kardon AVR 225 I picked up off kijiji for $90. Now this thing is plenty powerful at about 50W per channel when four channels driven, but the main issue I initially had with it was one of some weird digital noise that I think caused the person to sell it. I diagnosed the issue and found the source of the noise was the video input card on the receiver. Since I didn't actually intend to use this as a receiver, I simply disconnected the video inputs and now the HK receiver is a functional four channel amp. It's not the weakest link in terms of SINAD despite being a surround receiver - the miniDSP is. I might be the only person with a $2000 receiver who uses it to driver another twenty year old receiver. I bet even the word receiver makes some audiophiles cringe.

Anywayysss, my speakers are something I built myself. The midwoofer is an Acoustic Elegance TD15M with Apollo upgrade, in a mass-loaded transmission line cabinet that allows it to dig prety deep with a shallow rolloff. It's crossed over to a Denovo BA750 titanium compression driver in an autotech SEOS-18 waveguide. As mentioned earlier, this is a 6th order LR filter :

centered at 850hz. So really, the compressive driver handles the vast majority of the midrange and treble frequencies.

Due to the tweeter's native response, this filtering is practically impossible with passive components. I've also got the drivers time-aligned, another thing that is very difficult to do passively, but a sinch actively.

Anyways, I know what you're thinking. A titanium tweeter diaphragm... probably has some ringing at high frequencies... you're not wrong. This tweeter has a significant breakup mode centered around 15khz. However - I, like most males over the age of twenty-five - am deaf above ~16khz, and my hearing is barely sensitive at 15khz... so I don't actually hear any of the consequences. Below the breakup frequency, this tweeter/waveguide combo sounds amazing.

Cost-no-object, I would love to replace the diaphragm with a beryllium one someday though. That would push the breakups all the way up above 22khz

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 10-18-2023 at 05:33 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2023, 09:14 AM   #11
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have very little idea what any of that meant... but as long as it makes you happy, sounds good to me.

I have a feeling you've spent a lot of time on www.audiosciencereview.com?
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 11:03 AM   #12
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Despite having moved into a high-rise, I now have... two... hi-fi setups.

Dining Area Hi-Fi
Mains: Totem Acoustic Sttaf floorstanding speakers in Mahogany (spec)
Amp: Yamaha Natural Sound Stereo Receiver (R-S202BL)
Sources: Phone or Amazon Echo Show 8 via Bluetooth connectivity

This setup is my pure stereo setup and I've been very happy with the sound quality from it. Yamaha isn't exactly a staple in audiophile circles, but for my purposes it has been fantastic.

Living Room Hi-Fi
Mains: Totem Acoustic Dreamcatcher bookshelf speakers in Mahogany (spec)
Zone 2 Mains (outdoor): Theater Solutions 8” Outdoor Stereo Rock Speakers 2R8G (spec)
Amp: Denon AVR-X2200W receiver
Sources: 85" QN85 TV and Xbox Series X via HDMI ARC, NVIDIA Shield TV Pro via HDMI direct

This is my home theatre / console gaming setup that also happens to provide audio to my outdoor patio area when desired.

I don't run a subwoofer on either setup; for the space I'm working with, the speakers simply don't need any assistance in the low-end.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2023, 11:05 AM   #13
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yamaha amps have great sound quality. I think they are kinda underestimated.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2023, 11:47 AM   #14
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Yamaha amps have great sound quality. I think they are kinda underestimated.
Absolutely, there is nothing wrong with Yamaha. The new R-N2000A has some great reviews.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2023, 11:48 AM   #15
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not really hifi but I have a few things kicking around.

SMSL A300 amp fed by IFI Zen Blue (I connect an old LG phone to it using LDAC)
Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 speakers + sub

I also have a denon amp for home theatre and an old Marantz 2216 amp that needs a good cleaning. I use a switcher to switch amps.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2023, 12:45 PM   #16
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calumniate View Post
Not really hifi but I have a few things kicking around.

SMSL A300 amp fed by IFI Zen Blue (I connect an old LG phone to it using LDAC)
Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 speakers + sub

I also have a denon amp for home theatre and an old Marantz 2216 amp that needs a good cleaning. I use a switcher to switch amps.
I have an iFi Zen Dac V2 with input coming from my computer. I have it hooked to my Kanto YU6 Speakers and way too many pairs of headphones to mention.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 02:27 PM   #17
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I still have the hifi gear I bought when I was in high school. Some kids bought cars, I bought music and gear.

Integrated Amp - NAD 3240 PE
Speakers - B&W DM 560

My old Thorens turntable is long gone so I have a Pro-Ject Debut III.

It still sounds decent for being almost 40 years old but I do have spousal buy in to upgrade, so I am half heartedly shopping. Will check out some of the gear mentioned in this thread.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 02:28 PM   #18
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I have an iFi Zen Dac V2 with input coming from my computer. I have it hooked to my Kanto YU6 Speakers and way too many pairs of headphones to mention.
Awwe man I keep seeing Hifiman Ananda's on sale for $399 american on the hifiman site. They've come down quite a bit but I really don't need more headphones
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 04:28 PM   #19
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I used players more than I did HiFi set ups. I had a Cowon S9, Cowon J3, Fiio X3 DAC and Clip zip at one point and a couple of nicer headphones.

I started a period 4-5 years ago where I was tinkering with the raspberry pi set ups in preparation of restoring some vintage Sansui amp that had a blue glow plus build my own tower speaker... but for reasons I still don't understand, I just suddenly decided I needed to sell off a bunch of the stuff and focus on different hobbies.

I still don't fully get it. When it comes to complex HiFi stuff, I just suddenly feel this weird ennui and nervousness around it.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2023, 11:21 PM   #20
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Absolutely, there is nothing wrong with Yamaha. The new R-N2000A has some great reviews.
That thing has an MSRP of ~$3,995 USD. For that kind of money, it better deliver sound so amazing that it makes you cry.

I paid $220 for my Yamaha stereo receiver.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote