Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-11-2024, 07:58 AM   #101
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browntrout View Post
I just don't see the fit for the flames, Mercer is another smallish winger, they need a Hughes or Nemec, a defenceman who can develop and be impactful when the team is ready to compete in 3-5 years from now. Mercer is also an RFA, what type of money does he want?

It would make sense if new jersey offered him ( not everyone is an untouchable) with a draft pick. Obviously the GM's are talking and can't agree on compensation, I don't think Calgary wants Mercer at this time
Mercer is a center trapped behind too much center depth in New Jersey. Easily a 2nd line center in Calgary and would likely end up being our first line center (although I don’t think Mercer is the prototypical 1st line center type).

No one is giving up a Nemec or Hughes, you need to draft those guys with top 10 picks.
Sofa GM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 08:02 AM   #102
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I just don't see the fit for the flames, Mercer is another smallish winger, they need a Hughes or Nemec, a defenceman who can develop and be impactful when the team is ready to compete in 3-5 years from now. Mercer is also an RFA, what type of money does he want?

It would make sense if new jersey offered him ( not everyone is an untouchable) with a draft pick. Obviously the GM's are talking and can't agree on compensation, I don't think Calgary wants Mercer at this time
Maybe someone will recall this better than I do but I believe Conroy stated that the flames were ready to select a player they were really hoping would fall to them at 19 in the 2020 draft and they just missed out on him. That’s when the Flames shifted their focus to moving down and adding more picks in later rounds as they saw a number of players in the same tier and knew they would end up with one of them.

A lot of people here think that player they missed out on was Mercer. If do, I suspect Conroy, Button, Pascal, and many of the execs/scouts who were part of the organization then, probably still hold Mercer in high regard.

Last edited by TOfan; 02-11-2024 at 08:06 AM.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 08:03 AM   #103
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mercer took over 600 faceoffs his rookie year but with only a 35 percent winning percentage. The following year he didn’t quite take 200 faceoffs in large part to the reason mentioned by Sofa but he got his winning percentage into the low 40s. Finally this year he hasn’t quite reached 250 taken and is up over 48 percent winning percentage. He reminds me of Lindholm a little bit and would like take on center duties quicker than Lindy did if we managed to trade for him. 22 yo righty with center potential checks a ton of boxes for Calgary so I understand the rumoured interest for sure.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 08:12 AM   #104
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You must be thinking of Holtz
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 08:20 AM   #105
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who do we push out of the 12 forwards to make room for Mercer and/or Holtz? We don’t even have a spot for Coronado right now.

We need defence right now.Mercer is not better than any of our top three centres at the moment. If you play him as a winger I don’t see an obvious place to put him.

If Marky goes to NJD there has to be a top four defender coming back.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2024, 08:22 AM   #106
t0rrent98
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hope they don't trade him just yet, they are so close to making the playoffs with the way that he and the team are playing. He's probably the reason why the Flames are where they are at now.

CPHL Dallas Stars
t0rrent98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 08:29 AM   #107
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
Who do we push out of the 12 forwards to make room for Mercer and/or Holtz? We don’t even have a spot for Coronado right now.

We need defence right now.Mercer is not better than any of our top three centres at the moment. If you play him as a winger I don’t see an obvious place to put him.

There is still Hanifin and Tanev to move, we can look at shoring up the D with those moves. I want Mercer+

Is Sharangovich a long term C solution?
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2024, 08:31 AM   #108
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Coleman for two firsts! #conman
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 08:41 AM   #109
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Mercer and a mid 1st would be a massive haul. Even at 50% retention I'm doubtful Jersey makes that move but I'd love to be wrong. I'd be happy with one of those two assets and a sweetener.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2024, 08:42 AM   #110
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Zary-Kadri-Mercer
Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman
Huberdeau-Sharangovich-Kuzmenko
Pelletier-Pospisil-Duehr

Last edited by Flames1217; 02-11-2024 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Had Eat bread x2
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 08:42 AM   #111
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

It’s not about right now. Our top 2 centers are 33 and 34. This move is about the future, which Mercer would be a huge part of.

The Flames lack any top quality C in their system. Be it through picks or young players, this has got to be THE focus in trade returns.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to howard_the_duck For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2024, 08:45 AM   #112
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0rrent98 View Post
I hope they don't trade him just yet, they are so close to making the playoffs with the way that he and the team are playing. He's probably the reason why the Flames are where they are at now.
That's exactly it. The Flames areonly as good as they are because of goaltending, and the only thing holding the devils back is goaltending. Sell them on what they could be with him, and cash in!
Old 02-11-2024, 08:45 AM   #113
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post
Zary-Kadri-Mercer
Mangiapane-Backlund-Coleman
Huberdeau-Sharangovich-Kuzmenko
Pelletier-Pospisil-Mangiapane
Double shifting 88? Not a good plan

I would go

Coleman backs Mercer
Huby sharky kuzy
Zary kadri Popisil
Mangi Rooney Pelletier

Until you deal 88 for whatever you can
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 08:49 AM   #114
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calgary would kill to land Mercer.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2024, 08:50 AM   #115
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
This is the ultimate question.

We might make the playoffs. I sincerely doubt we do any damage.

The same ultimate question in 2004. Remember what happened? Lots of playoff damage!
Old 02-11-2024, 08:51 AM   #116
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Of course its going to be salary retention being the hanging point. The Flames have retained on a single player in a trade, and that was a few hundred thousand dollars. You're talking about multiple millions for a player that is plying his trade elsewhere. Not Edward's style. That is going to take some major convincing and I'm not sure Conroy will be able to convince Edwards to accept those terms. Amount retained on the UFAs he's traded so far? Zero.
And I get that for 2.5 years.

If they use their retention slots on rentals it's one thing. Understandable to balk at multiple seasons in my mind.

If they balk on rest of year rentals the owner doesn't understand leverage (which would be doubtful)
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2024, 08:52 AM   #117
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lot can change in 30 days but as of right now,even if devils meet flames price, I’m not convinced he would waive at this moment.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 08:54 AM   #118
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I can see a Markstrom trade happening this summer, but I don't think it'll happen mid season.
Challenging but before the trade deadline is when we might get an offer that's too good to turn down. Sounds like Conroy is sticking by a high cost to get it done as he should.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 09:04 AM   #119
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
And I get that for 2.5 years.

If they use their retention slots on rentals it's one thing. Understandable to balk at multiple seasons in my mind.

If they balk on rest of year rentals the owner doesn't understand leverage (which would be doubtful)
I think they will retain on expiring contracts, especially if it leads to larger returns or gets the player they want. I think that door is open, it just needs to be justified. Retention on multi-year contracts? That's a bridge too far for this ownership group IMO. Until they do it, I will say it remains a hard no.

If you think Edwards doesn't understand leverage you've never dealt with the man. He uses every bit of possible leverage and does everything he can to save pennies on the dollar. He didn't become a billionaire by not knowing how to squeeze blood from every stone. He's not giving money away without getting value back. I suspect Conroy knows exactly what that value mark is and will only retain if that value proposition is achieved. Otherwise he just sets himself up to get on the wrong side of the primary owner, which he clearly doesn't want to do.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 09:10 AM   #120
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
I think they will retain on expiring contracts, especially if it leads to larger returns or gets the player they want. I think that door is open, it just needs to be justified. Retention on multi-year contracts? That's a bridge too far for this ownership group IMO. Until they do it, I will say it remains a hard no.

If you think Edwards doesn't understand leverage you've never dealt with the man. He uses every bit of possible leverage and does everything he can to save pennies on the dollar. He didn't become a billionaire by not knowing how to squeeze blood from every stone. He's not giving money away without getting value back. I suspect Conroy knows exactly what that value mark is and will only retain if that value proposition is achieved. Otherwise he just sets himself up to get on the wrong side of the primary owner, which he clearly doesn't want to do.
I think it was pretty clear in my last post that I was suggesting Edwards does understand leverage.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote