Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2020, 04:55 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default The Athletic: LeBrun: Flames in a tough spot

https://theathletic.com/1617602/2020...lchuks-market/

Sense is the Flames did not go hard after Toffoli

He thinks Kase is a fit but the Ducks aren't really keen on moving him

Quote:
I think what would make the most sense for the Flames is to pick up depth on the blue line, not a huge move, but someone who can help, and then focus on a hockey deal up front.

While I do think a rental like Jean-Gabriel Pageau remains on Calgary’s radar, the preference would be to acquire a forward with term. After all, the Flames aren’t a lock to make the playoffs.
Quote:
I also believe Wayne Simmonds would be of interest to the Flames in the right deal. They’ve inquired on him in the past. I believe Calgary is on Simmonds’ eight-team no-trade list but I also think he would waive it for a chance at playoff hockey with the Flames. I don’t think that would be an issue.

Last edited by sureLoss; 02-18-2020 at 04:59 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 04:55 PM   #2
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
LeBrun: Flames in a tough spot
Me too, Pierre, me too

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 04:57 PM   #3
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would be happy with Kase.
JurassicTunga12 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JurassicTunga12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 05:04 PM   #4
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought Simmonds doesn't have an NTC with his current contract. That NTC was last year's contract.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:09 PM   #5
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If we just need a depth defensemen, why not sign Phaneuf? He would cost zero assets and may actually give a fudge about trying to get back in the league and curb some of his personality.

Otherwise, not much point in trading for a depth guy unless we find a way to dump salary at the same time.
Red_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:09 PM   #6
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I don't think Simmonds is a good addition for this team. His skills have diminished greatly and Lucic and guys like Rinaldo can handle the intimidation stuff. Hard pass for me.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 05:09 PM   #7
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I thought Simmonds doesn't have an NTC with his current contract. That NTC was last year's contract.
Per capfriendly Simmonds had a 12-team no-trade list last year and has no trade protection this year but it's entirely possible Lebrun knows something we don't I suppose

Either way I think Simmonds would be very redundant on this roster. I'd rather have someone like Namestnikov who is fast, young, kills penalties, and can play centre

Old 02-18-2020, 05:10 PM   #8
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

It really feels like the Flames have been in a tough spot since the spending spree that was the summer of 2018. Treliving spent large on Lindholm, Hanifin, Ryan and Neal. 3 of those players have been key additions and the other was a toxic contract that was moved for an even more toxic co tract but a player that fits better (still grossly overpaid for what he brings).

Thanks to the Lazar, Smith, Hamonic trades that cost the team a total of 5 picks they have a weakened prospect pool which makes it harder to trade picks and prospects.

It sounds like they were runners up on Stone last year and Hall this year. They had completed trades for Kadri and Zucker that were either blocked or fell through. Treliving has had a very hard time making moves and based on the current prices it doesn’t seem like the Flames are destined to make any changes before Monday.

I predict this team is largely the same when the deadline passes and huge changes occur this summer with a massive shakeup
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 05:10 PM   #9
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Regardless I don't want him here.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 05:10 PM   #10
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

what are some other 'hockey deals' up front out there?

I can't help but think the Flames really, really, really want Josh Anderson or even Anthony Mantha. Pretty perfect fits, but obviously those would be tough to pull off.
JurassicTunga12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:11 PM   #11
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicTunga12 View Post

I can't help but think the Flames really, really, really want Josh Anderson or even Anthony Mantha. Pretty perfect fits, but obviously those would be tough to pull off.
I would love Anderson depending on the asking price.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:12 PM   #12
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicTunga12 View Post

Those players make a ton of sense for Calgary. Andersen for Bennett is a deal I could see happening.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:16 PM   #13
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Those players make a ton of sense for Calgary. Andersen for Bennett is a deal I could see happening.
I don't like that idea. I still really believe Bennett has another level yet and he is a beast. Many won't agree but I would trade Mangiapane before Bennett. Even better would be if we can do it for a 2nd plus another non roster piece. I don't want to see Bennett or our 1st traded unless it is part of a deal for a legit top 6 player with term .
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 05:20 PM   #14
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Wayne Simmonds could be the next Troy Brouwer

Philly got his good years. Do not want a physical guy trending down on the wrong side of 30
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:22 PM   #15
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I don't like that idea. I still really believe Bennett has another level yet and he is a beast. Many won't agree but I would trade Mangiapane before Bennett. Even better would be if we can do it for a 2nd plus another non roster piece. I don't want to see Bennett or our 1st traded unless it is part of a deal for a legit top 6 player with term .
I have been on team Bennett for a long time but I am ready to deal him if the right trade comes along. I do think he breaks out wherever he goes as well in a similar fashion as Lindholm did when we acquired him from Carolina.

If a team sees something in Bennett and the Flames can land a long term legit top 6 forward I am ready to move on.
Old 02-18-2020, 05:24 PM   #16
GS Skier
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Flames in a tough spot? I was looking at cap friendly and popped down to Stocktons roster. I don't believe I've ever seen a roster with 3 defensemen and 4 goalies before! More goalies than defenders at the moment!!!
GS Skier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:28 PM   #17
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Skier View Post
Flames in a tough spot? I was looking at cap friendly and popped down to Stocktons roster. I don't believe I've ever seen a roster with 3 defensemen and 4 goalies before! More goalies than defenders at the moment!!!
That's because Stockton has a lot of guys on AHL deals (Hamilton, Leslie, Schunenman)

Also two of those goalies are with the Mavericks

Old 02-18-2020, 05:39 PM   #18
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Wayne Simmonds could be the next Troy Brouwer

Philly got his good years. Do not want a physical guy trending down on the wrong side of 30
Don’t want him either but he’s a UFA.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 05:44 PM   #19
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
It really feels like the Flames have been in a tough spot since the spending spree that was the summer of 2018. Treliving spent large on Lindholm, Hanifin, Ryan and Neal. 3 of those players have been key additions and the other was a toxic contract that was moved for an even more toxic co tract but a player that fits better (still grossly overpaid for what he brings).

Thanks to the Lazar, Smith, Hamonic trades that cost the team a total of 5 picks they have a weakened prospect pool which makes it harder to trade picks and prospects.

It sounds like they were runners up on Stone last year and Hall this year. They had completed trades for Kadri and Zucker that were either blocked or fell through. Treliving has had a very hard time making moves and based on the current prices it doesn’t seem like the Flames are destined to make any changes before Monday.

I predict this team is largely the same when the deadline passes and huge changes occur this summer with a massive shakeup
Agree, notwithstanding a playoff run. I think that would negate the shakeup.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:00 PM   #20
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Baron View Post
If we just need a depth defensemen, why not sign Phaneuf? He would cost zero assets and may actually give a fudge about trying to get back in the league and curb some of his personality.

Otherwise, not much point in trading for a depth guy unless we find a way to dump salary at the same time.
I don't think his problem was not caring or trying. He was never the same player after his hip injury. It just deteriorated from there.