Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Seeking CP's assistance – injured friend

Hey CP

Last Thursday an old high school friend of mine was assaulted and badly beaten around 12:45am at the corner of 9th Avenue and 5th Street SW. He's currently in hospital where he remains in a coma, and while his injuries are non-life threatening, doctors are concerned that he may have suffered serve brain damage. Police are seeking public assistance in determining who is responsible for his injuries, please read more here.

Just to speak to my friend briefly, he's not in anyway a guy who picks or looks for fights. He's a fun somewhat shy introverted guy, who is extremely intelligent (he's currently taking a masters in engineering) and would likely fit right in with the CP crowd.

If anyone has information or advice in assisting and identifying the cowards who would do something like this please PM. Thanks.
J pold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #2
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Yikes, that's horrible. Best of luck in your friends recovery. I'll take a look at the link and pass it around. I wasn't in that area last night, but I do know some people who were out Stampeding.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, that's terrible. Really sorry to hear J pold. I wish a speedy recovery for your friend and hope for the best concerning his injuries. I don't have anything to offer in the way of identifying the people who did this, but I hope they are caught soon and have to answer for their crimes.
worth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's pretty scary.. 9th and 5th is a pretty high traffic area. Hopefully somebody comes forward.
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm very sorry for your friend's injury and hope he has a speedy recovery with no complications. If and when they catch the culprits who did this, they should throw the book at them.

My son comes home from work downtown at night, and I'm always fearful of something like this happening to him. He thinks there is half the number of police downtown at night as there is in the daytime. Although, with the darkness, the police presence may be less obvious.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #6
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guys I would really appreciate if this thread wasn't derailed to personal insults and petty arguing. I want to keep this thread on topic, so please take it to PM or whatever.
The Following User Says Thank You to J pold For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #7
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Stop it.

I hope your friend recovers fully. The brain is a remarkable organ.

Last edited by To Be Quite Honest; 07-14-2012 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Adding to thread
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #8
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Yeah sorry J pold didn't mean to derail too badly there but I couldn't not address that.

I really hope your friend is going to recover ok and these pieces of trash are caught.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2012, 12:39 PM   #9
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yes, there needs to be more information.

1. Does anyone (family or friends) know where he may have been i.e. at a bar, etc.

2. Where was he coming from, and where was he going.

3. Who may have seen him last...when and where.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #10
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes I agree the lack of information is frustrating. At this point the only source of information I have is from his family via facebook and they have only disseminated what is stated in the police request.

Thanks for all the replies/feedback, I will keep this thread updated as things progress.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #11
saskflames69
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wow. Hope they catch the freaks that did this. I wish your friend a speedy and safe recovery.
Connor Zary will win the Hart Trophy in 2027.
saskflames69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #12
STeeLy
Franchise Player

Exp:

J Pold, I'm guessing it's the same as this: http://newsroom.calgary.ca/pr/calgar...ed-236479.aspx

A co-worker of mine has this link up on her facebook.
STeeLy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:07 PM   #13
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

If the police are smart this incident should be available throuh video surveillance from cameras on the parkade exterior and that very corner.....I used to walk that area to and from work years ago.......it's a very transient area used by the homeless to get to the bottle depot on 10th and 6th. I recall seeing allot of incidents involving other pedestrians over the years being engaged by peddlers/beggars/homeless. here's hoping some light can be shed on this situation and leads to arrests.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 10:28 AM   #14
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just bumping this thread with an article regarding the event written in the Sun yesterday. It provides more information, although not much, please find it here.

I have also been contacted via PM from a poster who would rather remain anonymous saying that both his cell phone and wallet were found on him ruling out robbery and suggesting a random beating. There also seems to be a strange gap between when he was last seen (10:45pm) and found (12:45am) even though both locations are only a block away.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:43 PM   #15
vektor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I suggest you give more details, as a police report would show. Specific location, specific time, severity/specifics of injury in this thread. Hopefully they catch the people who did it, any chance it was a car or bus sideview mirror? My aunt got hit by a bus mirror while standing on the sidewalk and it knocked her out and gave her bruises on her face mirroring a beating, people thought she was beaten until a security camera showed the bus driver driving up on the curb by accident.

Downside is the legal system is way too lenient in things like this, my friend got beaten and curb-stomped by 3 idiot cowboys and they got a month in prison and 100 hours of community service for permanently damaging his face and nearly killing him.

Last edited by vektor; 07-16-2012 at 05:45 PM.
vektor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #16
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

A bit more info in the news today...

http://www.calgarysun.com/2012/07/16...g-of-young-man

Someone must have seen something... hope these guys get caught soon.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to taco.vidal For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2012, 08:48 AM   #17
J pold
Franchise Player

Exp:

More news/updates today. Please view and share.

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/man-left-i...treet-1.882904

http://supportbrendan.wordpress.com/
Old 07-18-2012, 09:30 AM   #18
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always hate hearing about stuff like this.

Hopefully the brain damage is limited and he can recover quickly.

It actually doesn't take a lot sometimes to cause a bad head injury. I think some of the bully types don't realize that real life isn't like the movies where you can beat someone up without the potential of this happening.

It sounds like they are certain it was an attack. Is there any chance it was a hit and run?