Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2018, 02:48 PM   #21
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Kylington is waiver eligible next year again
Exempt*

Quote:
Brilliant management of the asset to slide his contract twice ...
kind of sucks for the player though.
Don't know about either of those to be honest. The contract would've slid if Kyington had been dispatched to juniors (or stayed in Sweden) for his teenage years, so hardly brilliant. It's crazy to think he's been in the AHL for his 4th season and he's only 21 but either of the three routes have developed good blue liners.
LWcrowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:50 PM   #22
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by awildermode View Post
Would you say the Kylington is...Kylling it?
No, but he is Shilling it!
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2018, 02:54 PM   #23
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Call him up, trade a D+ for Nylander. "Let's go"
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 02:58 PM   #24
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

McLean raves about him.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 03:03 PM   #25
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is going to boil down to asset management. And I think the likely player in the asset management scenario is Brodie vs. Kylington starting this off season.
TJ has one year left at 4.65m after this year. Kylington can step in and cost you 730k next season. In a year where cap navigation is going to be a challenge. And, is an RFA at the end of it unlike Brodie who will be UFA.

Honestly, I think this is what happens and this is where the Flames make their move for a goalie to run with Rittich. Because at bare minimum right now, I think we can all say Rittich is an NHL goalie. Ceiling is TBD.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2018, 03:13 PM   #26
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Encouraging to see that he's starting to putting it all together. Some of that comes with maturity. He and Andersson were considered project players with high upside. Good scouting job making up for the loss of a first rounder that draft.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 03:54 PM   #27
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Agreed, time to upload some assets...
Brodie during the off-season for draft picks/goalie

Next year move either Anderson or Valimaki up with Gio and reduce their minutes slightly, put Kylington on the bottom pair
Funkhouser is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Funkhouser For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2018, 04:00 PM   #28
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post
Sorry he is or isn’t waiver eligible next year?
They can send him down next year no problem
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:02 PM   #29
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
This is going to boil down to asset management. And I think the likely player in the asset management scenario is Brodie vs. Kylington starting this off season.
TJ has one year left at 4.65m after this year. Kylington can step in and cost you 730k next season. In a year where cap navigation is going to be a challenge. And, is an RFA at the end of it unlike Brodie who will be UFA.

Honestly, I think this is what happens and this is where the Flames make their move for a goalie to run with Rittich. Because at bare minimum right now, I think we can all say Rittich is an NHL goalie. Ceiling is TBD.
That’s a solid option, I just wonder how the expansion draft might play into their thought processes as well.

Ideally if Brodie continues to stabilize his play with Gio then you’ve redeemed a devalued asset. As much as some people bemoaned the Hamilton trade, you were trading from a position of strength not a position weakness.

Maybe they can do this again.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 04:03 PM   #30
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
They can send him down next year no problem
Interesting, but not Anderson correct?
Old 11-18-2018, 04:26 PM   #31
LWcrowfoot
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobles_point View Post
Interesting, but not Anderson correct?
Anderson is waiver exempt for 27 more games, or just the remainder of the season.

Kylington gets another year because despite being drafted together Rasmus has a late birthday and is effectively a year older.
LWcrowfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to LWcrowfoot For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2018, 06:17 PM   #32
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Just loved that draft.

A guy that was supposed to go top five a year earlier slides and slides and slides and then the Flames move up and take him with the last pick of the second round.

Getting Andersson in the same draft was nuts.

It is better than that.

Before their draft seasons started, Kylington was ranked in the top 10, and on some lists, Andersson was in the top 10. That's astounding that the Flames selected both.

At any rate, the modern NHL defencemen is one that can skate well and move the puck well. Gap control and defensive acumen don't seem to be an issue with Kylington. He just needs a bit more man-strength, and he is NHL ready. His skating is probably better than Brodie's, and Brodie is elite. Kylington also has a really hard shot from the point, which surprised me. He will be an NHL'er. Question is where, or at who's expense.
Calgary4LIfe is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 12:46 PM   #33
Samuelsson
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
It is better than that.

Before their draft seasons started, Kylington was ranked in the top 10, and on some lists, Andersson was in the top 10. That's astounding that the Flames selected both.

At any rate, the modern NHL defencemen is one that can skate well and move the puck well. Gap control and defensive acumen don't seem to be an issue with Kylington. He just needs a bit more man-strength, and he is NHL ready. His skating is probably better than Brodie's, and Brodie is elite. Kylington also has a really hard shot from the point, which surprised me. He will be an NHL'er. Question is where, or at who's expense.
Hopefully on the Flames! Can't see us 'risking' picking him despite all the negative press, for him to turn out to be a solid NHLer only for us to trade him. That and his age, I think (and hope) he stays here.
Old 11-19-2018, 03:58 PM   #34
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

This kid is one of my favorite prospects..

A lot of fans write him off due to his alleged defensive shortcomings but I think he has come a long way in that department.

He's our top prospect not in the NHL IMO and I think he has the most offensive upside out of anyone else on D.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:07 PM   #35
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
It is better than that.

When I've watched Andersson I've been really impressed with his motor. His skating isn't elite by any stretch put he knows when to pinch and join the rush and is always battle ready in the corners and on the wall.

I think the main this is that when he approaches the play with whatever speed he has he knows what to do with the puck and executes.

I think Ryan Huska has been great for him and Kylington.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2018, 06:42 PM   #36
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kylington's the undisputed first call-up if any injury bug happens to the current trio of LDs, and should be more than able to handle his own.

I've been high on Oliver since his draft year and was seeing the occasional mock draft online with us picking him at 15th overall leading up to the Dougie trade. Getting him with a late 2nd was icing on the cake.