Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2013, 04:24 PM   #181
mac_82
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wow Nana is back in the fold.
mac_82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #182
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

For the masochists in the group: The two upcoming friendlies will be televised on Sportsnet One:

Friday, November 15th, 0900 MT, vs. Czech Republic
Tuesday, November 19th, 1000 MT, vs. Solvenia

So set your PVRs! I'll watch, of course, and hopefully there will be a slight glimmer of hope that can be taken from these matches. They'll be in tough against the Czechs, for sure, and even the Slovenes should be considered the favourite by a fair margin.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #183
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Question? Has canada ever produced a top talent that was capped by the Canadian MNT? Im talking ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
They'll be in tough against the Czechs, for sure, and even the Slovenes should be considered the favourite by a fair margin.
This depresses me...
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:14 PM   #184
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Question? Has canada ever produced a top talent that was capped by the Canadian MNT? Im talking ever.

This depresses me...
Depends on your definition of top talent. Would you consider Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey or Tim Howard top talent? If not then the United States hasn't either.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #185
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is the starting lineup for this morning's game against the Czechs. They will field a more experienced lineup for this game, and experiment with the Slovenia game on Tuesday.

Both games are on Sportsnet One, if anyone feels like watching.

Canada Soccer@CanadaSoccerEN13m
#canMNT starting XI: Hirschfeld (GK), Ledgerwood, Hainault, Henry, De Jong, Straith, Ricketts, Osorio, Pacheco, Jackson, De Rosario (C).

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 09:06 AM   #186
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler!
Old 11-15-2013, 09:44 AM   #187
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not putting spoilers on cause I'm not sure how many folks care. Penalty kick for Canada. De Rosario has it saved. The goalless drought continues.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:51 AM   #188
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fair enough! I would imagine that if someone is PVR'ing it, they'd probably have the common sense to stay out of this thread.

Canada had a bit of a resurgence after a horrid start, but they'll need a lot more than that. Cech is great keeper, but I feel that the penalty could have been taken better. Clear penalty though. De Ro had his legs swept out. In fairness to the Czech defender, the pitch does seem a bit slippery today with a few guys wiping out.

Dobson just said that Canada's goalless drought is now up to 799 minutes. That's quite pathetic.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:24 AM   #189
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

We miss Will Johnson. He controls the midfield and he is the penalty taker

Old 11-15-2013, 11:48 AM   #190
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

We also miss Atiba Hutchinson, his distribution is miles ahead of others in the MF.

2-0 loss, not much different than I expected.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:47 PM   #191
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Depends on your definition of top talent. Would you consider Landon Donovan, Clint Dempsey or Tim Howard top talent? If not then the United States hasn't either.
I dodnt mean it as an insult. I was just curious.

Id say top talent means an upper eachelon player in one of the 4 big leagues.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #192
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I didn't think you were insulting. Just thinking that outside europe and south america there are very few upper echelon players.

africa has a few just on physical strength but I think they are overrated. The team play of african teams is awful.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:06 PM   #193
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
I dodnt mean it as an insult. I was just curious.

Id say top talent means an upper eachelon player in one of the 4 big leagues.
Well in that case like the Americans no.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 12:54 PM   #194
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Closest to top 4 league would've been Forrest. Premier league for 8 years between Ipswich and West Ham and on loan to Chelsea for a year.

Tomas Radzinski had 36 goals in 6 years the Premier League and 5 Champions League goals for Anderlecht before that.

Everyday starters, but not upper echelon.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 10:15 AM   #195
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I just finished watching this game last night. Even though they Czechs obviously weren't going full out, I thought we played a bit better, but still really struggled to create anything. We had 2 chances and that was it. No one moves off the ball. Very few players on this team can beat anyone 1v1 to open things up. I just get a little depressed watching these things lately. All the hope I had that we were moving forward as a national program is lost at the moment.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #196
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm half-assedly watching/listening to the match while away for work, but it sounds like Canada is doing alright early on this morning. De Ro had one heck of a strike that was saved superbly. Really should have been 1-0.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:28 AM   #197
scottish_flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
The US have produced top talent it's not even compatible to Canada.
scottish_flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #198
Addick
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
africa has a few just on physical strength but I think they are overrated. The team play of african teams is awful.
While I think the chances of African teams doing well are overstated, or the teams underperform, they have had some top, top players. Eto'o and Toure aren't half bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottish_flame View Post
The US have produced top talent it's not even compatible to Canada.
While they have produce players that are better than what Canada has, I wouldn't say they are top, top players or even top players. Although he didn't play for Canada, Hargreaves was a product, or an anomaly, of our system and I don't think any American-born players have enjoyed his success.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”

- Roberta Brandes Gratz
Addick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:45 AM   #199
scottish_flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addick View Post
While I think the chances of African teams doing well are overstated, or the teams underperform, they have had some top, top players. Eto'o and Toure aren't half bad.

While they have produce players that are better than what Canada has, I wouldn't say they are top, top players or even top players. Although he didn't play for Canada, Hargreaves was a product, or an anomaly, of our system and I don't think any American-born players have enjoyed his success.
Claudio Reyna, Tim Howard, Brad Friedel and it looks like Michael Bradley could have a Serie A medal this year. All class players. Hargreaves is English and I wouldn't rate him as being better than any of the players I've mentioned. He was lucky to be part of squads that were successful
scottish_flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 10:52 AM   #200
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Psshh well if we're turning this into a pissing match betwen the minnows then Poland beats both in top talent