Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2021, 10:59 PM   #121
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Can... can we do that?
you have a lot of competition on CP tonight
Old 05-08-2021, 10:59 PM   #122
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Can... can we do that?
You can do lots of things without having to marry the guy. But buy him dinner first.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2021, 11:11 PM   #123
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

does anyone else hate everything
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 11:25 PM   #124
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd marry McDavid, that divorce settlement would be lucrative.

But seriously, can the Harnarayan Singh on HNIC thing end already? He's really bad, and at times seriously embarrassing... he'd be okay as the Oilers' regional broadcast guy (low bar to clear there), but that's about it. He actually referred to Draisaitl as "German Gretzky" (#### right off) before immediately then referring to McDavid as Gretzky with his "torch has been passed from one great one to the next" bulls#it... Gretzky did it in 34 games one year and 35 another. Lemieux in 36 and 38 two other times.

Obviously McDavid is one of the all time greats, or will be by the end of his career, but this kind of over-the-top fawning makes the broadcast completely unwatchable. Have some sense of dignity to your broadcast, FFS.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2021, 11:40 PM   #125
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You expect anything associated with the CBC to have any dignity or class? HAHA. HAHA.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 11:55 PM   #126
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
McDavid is an unreal player. Incredible season. 100 in 53 is absurd.
Very impressive.
As Flames fans we don't have to love it, but I find it absurd how pissy some people get about it.
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2021, 12:20 AM   #127
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sid was skating around with the cup, McDavid is about the make the playoffs for that 2nd time in his career looking for that elusive 2nd career playoff round win

Sorry for not being on the best player eva bandwagon
Old 05-09-2021, 06:56 AM   #128
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I have a feeling the Hurricanes are absolutely going to murder the Predators in round 1. Possibly sweep them. They are so good and so underrated and never talked about. #1 in the NHL.
That's what many people said about what the Lightning were going to do to the BJs in 2019. The opposite ended up happening and it could be the Hurricanes getting devastated.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:07 AM   #129
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I'd marry McDavid, that divorce settlement would be lucrative.

But seriously, can the Harnarayan Singh on HNIC thing end already? He's really bad, and at times seriously embarrassing... he'd be okay as the Oilers' regional broadcast guy (low bar to clear there), but that's about it. He actually referred to Draisaitl as "German Gretzky" (#### right off) before immediately then referring to McDavid as Gretzky with his "torch has been passed from one great one to the next" bulls#it... Gretzky did it in 34 games one year and 35 another. Lemieux in 36 and 38 two other times.

Obviously McDavid is one of the all time greats, or will be by the end of his career, but this kind of over-the-top fawning makes the broadcast completely unwatchable. Have some sense of dignity to your broadcast, FFS.

Not yet he ain't, he's one of the all time points getters, that's where it ends. and getting the points he got this year needs an asterisk considering this is a weak sauce division.

Orr, Gertzky, Mario, Crosby, Howe Richard, Beliveau, Hull, Messier (Gag), Plante, Roy. I'd take them all over McPoints.

If McDavid actually wins something, call me. McDaivd has awesome skills for scoring, but nothing else, his ability to modify his game or improve his weaknesses (The Yzerman effect) are all questionable.

I mean his offensive skills, his diving skills, all without question, but that doesn't make you an all time great. We're all too willing to throw out terms like Generational, all time great, goat, boat etc.

Is McDavid elite, sure, franchise, sure, hall of fame worthy sure (But they'll let anyone in nowdays) He's not generational to me yet, and he's certainly not an all time great, he's not the goat or the boat. He lives in an ugly house, he dives like a louse, I do not like him here or there, I do not like him anywhere, I do not like Mcholydiver, I do not like him Sam I am.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2021, 09:18 AM   #130
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Call me sour grapes, but both Mathews and McLottery’s accomplishments are far less impressive given the unique divisional alignment this year.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 09:52 AM   #131
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apparently this went up right away:

ETA: couldn’t paste it - it’s a Leafs North Division Champions ad.

Last edited by GioforPM; 05-09-2021 at 09:59 AM.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 12:12 PM   #132
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Call me sour grapes, but both Mathews and McLottery’s accomplishments are far less impressive given the unique divisional alignment this year.
Lots of people will say sour grapes...they are free to prove us wrong by scoring 70 goals and 155 points in a normal schedule next season.

Same with the Leafs great division title that is on the front page of TSN

"first division title in 20 years blah blah blah"

Has nothing to do with the #### division though
Old 05-10-2021, 12:25 PM   #133
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Lots of people will say sour grapes...they are free to prove us wrong by scoring 70 goals and 155 points in a normal schedule next season.
Agreed. If this happens next year playing against every team for both Mathews and McDavid I'll eat crow, but my money is on it ain't happening. Neither player has ever come close to that pace, nor has anybody in a very long time for that matter. Some other interesting stats;

McDavids ppg is at a ridiculous 1.89 this year. The last 2 seasons solely against the pacific division its been at 1.47 which equates to 78 pts in 53 games (still impressive. Also the Oilers goals per game (3.81) over the 37 games (quite a large sample) vs the 4 teams I mentioned previously, equates to 312 goals in a season, something they haven't done since 1989-1990.

You want to give McDavid credit for the 100 pts in 53 games, fine, it is impressive, but to say he hasn't benefitted from this current format is asinine.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 05:22 AM   #134
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Final scores
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/scores/2021-05-08
http://sportsstats.cbc.ca/news/NHL-R...ate=05-08-2021