Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Event Forums > COVID-19 Forum

Notices

Old 05-06-2021, 08:53 AM   #1241
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Er... just looking at some of the tables as I don't have time to read the full report, is there somewhere where the data accounts for the fact that there has been a far larger number of people in the "0-14" day period as compared to the 14 to 28 or 28+ periods? Raw infection numbers seem pretty useless. Obviously there have been far fewer total cases 28 days after infection - there are far fewer total people who have made it to 28+ days up until now, because most of the people who have been vaccinated have had their first shot in the past month. How is that accounted for?
It wasn't, I don't think. I'd have been much more interested in these things as percentages. (Ie someone 14-28 days during April had an xx% chance of getting covid compared to an unvaccinated person having a yy% chance) as that would actually speak to effectiveness of the vaccine.

Saying only 0.8% of cases were partially vaccinated people isn't useful info when for the vast majority of the study period the percentage of vaccinated people was very low.

Edited to add: not saying this is bad news, just that I'm not sure you can really draw any conclusions from it.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:08 AM   #1242
Lubicon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Yes, I'm just saying the comment of "one part of Canada will be largely back to normal in 20 days..." isn't rally accurate, because most of Canada has always been operating without that restriction.
Manitoba and all of Atlantic Canada, NWT, and possibly Nunavut all have quarantine for arrivals from outside the region. But I guess that's maybe 10% of our population living under those same restrictions.

That said, good to see Yukon moving ahead on this and recognizing vaccinations.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:15 AM   #1243
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, again regarding Yukon, they are citing the major reason behind eliminating quarantine as vaccination of their own local population, which single dose is at around 75%
So this is very sound scientific reasoning. Local population half vaccinated in combination with fully vaccinated visitors should pose virtually no risk whatsoever.

I suppose it's reasonable to assume high at home vaccination rates will be necessary to open the US border.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:45 AM   #1244
Calgary14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Canadians should be able to travel domestically this summer: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/summe...ions-1.6022536
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2021, 09:15 AM   #1245
Lubicon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Canadians should be able to travel domestically this summer: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/summe...ions-1.6022536
Hand in hand with this both the Feds and Provinces need to heavily promote that travel is acceptable again. We've managed to make ourselves terrified to travel and this has to stop as soon as possible. Domestic travel has exploded in the US and it needs to happen here too ASAP so our tourism and travel sectors have a chance at survival.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2021, 09:28 AM   #1246
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Hand in hand with this both the Feds and Provinces need to heavily promote that travel is acceptable again. We've managed to make ourselves terrified to travel and this has to stop as soon as possible. Domestic travel has exploded in the US and it needs to happen here too ASAP so our tourism and travel sectors have a chance at survival.
####

I guess I have to go to the family wedding in Winnipeg at the end of August.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2021, 09:56 AM   #1247
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I don’t think government needs to promote travel. Once restrictions are lifted we’re going to see the unleashing of massive pent-up demand. For every person anxious about travel there will be two looking to make up for lost time and spend money that has built up in savings. I expect 2022 and 2023 will set records for travel.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2021, 10:04 AM   #1248
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

The orgiastic behaviour will be glorious.
peter12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:10 AM   #1249
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
####

I guess I have to go to the family wedding in Winnipeg at the end of August.
just tell them you aren't vaccinated (that might get you doubly un-invited depending on the family)
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 03:41 PM   #1250
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I don’t think government needs to promote travel. Once restrictions are lifted we’re going to see the unleashing of massive pent-up demand. For every person anxious about travel there will be two looking to make up for lost time and spend money that has built up in savings. I expect 2022 and 2023 will set records for travel.
I suspect here are lots of travel type business that can't wait for summer 2022 to be good. The industry needs reasonable demand in 2021 or a lot of capacity is going to be destroyed.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 05:10 PM   #1251
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

If international/USA travel is not allowed by October of this year without restrictions, except for maybe masks in airports and planes, then something has gone terribly wrong.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2021, 12:16 AM   #1252
king_amonte
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

My fingers are crossed that I can go to the states in September for Labour Day weekend for a concert weekend and to see friends I haven’t seen in 2 years. The way the vaccines are going I’m optimistic for the first time in a long time.
Lets Retire #10....not Roberts.....Amonte
king_amonte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to king_amonte For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2021, 01:20 PM   #1253
darkmemoria
Draft Pick

Great news out from the CDC today:

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/13/cdc-...-settings.html

Fully vaccinated people no longer need to wear a face mask or stay 6 feet away from others in most settings, whether outdoors or indoors, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in updated public health guidance released Thursday.

There are a handful of instances where people will still need to wear masks — in a health-care setting or at a business that requires them — even if they’ve had their final vaccine dose two or more weeks ago, CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky told reporters at a press briefing. Fully vaccinated people will also still need to wear masks on airplanes, buses, trains and other public transportation, she said.

“Anyone who is fully vaccinated can participate in indoor and outdoor activities, large or small, without wearing a mask or physical distancing,” Walensky said. “If you are fully vaccinated, you can start doing the things that you had stopped doing because of the pandemic. We have all longed for this moment, when we can get back to some sense of normalcy.”
darkmemoria is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to darkmemoria For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2021, 06:08 PM   #1254
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Following CDC new guidelines

Illinois Governor Pritzker To Follow Science, Loosen Mask Mandate In Line With CDC
Quote:
"The Governor believes firmly in following the science and intends to revise his executive orders in line with the upcoming CDC guidelines lifting additional mitigations for vaccinated people," Pritzker's press secretary, Jordan Abudayyeh, told Patch in an email. "The scientists’ message is clear: if you are vaccinated, you can safely do much more."
Quote:
"If you are fully vaccinated, you can start doing the things that you had stopped doing because of the pandemic," CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said Thursday. "We have all longed for this moment, when we can get back to some sense of normalcy."

Of course, private businesses can still require patrons to wear masks, and local and state governments can set their own mandates, which the CDC still recommends complying with.

As of Thursday, 62 percent of adults across Illinois had received at least one dose of a vaccine, and about 37 percent had been fully vaccinated. More than 84 percent of those over age 65 have been fully vaccinated.

"This good news comes with a caveat," the governor said last week. "We all have seen throughout this pandemic that this virus and its variants have proven to be unpredictable. Metrics that look strong today are far from a guarantee of how things will look a week, two weeks, a month from now. We saw that last August and again last March. But what we do know we have tools in the arsenal that have proven extremely effective."
https://patch.com/illinois/chicago/p...ndate-line-cdc
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2021, 01:00 PM   #1255
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

World-first COVID-19 antiviral therapy developed in Brisbane and US targets virus in the body

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-05-...7eerDmzGtwLcTk

Quote:
Queensland researchers and a US team have developed an antiviral therapy that has killed off the COVID-19 viral load in infected mice by 99.9 per cent.

Lead researcher Professor Nigel McMillan, from Griffith University, called it a "seek and destroy mission" where the therapy genetically targeted the potentially deadly virus
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2021, 04:12 PM   #1256
Lubicon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Had our monthly corporate update meeting this week. Our US operations are returning to the office for all workers next week, no more WFH. Canadian operations are preparing for a mid June return if all goes well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2021, 04:53 PM   #1257
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Immunity to the coronavirus may persist for years:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/26/h...-vaccines.html
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2021, 06:11 PM   #1258
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
Immunity to the coronavirus may persist for years:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/26/h...-vaccines.html
This good news kind of follows the above:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1398306828526575620
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:27 PM   #1259
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I'm reading the reduction in hazard rate correctly, that would imply around 92-93% efficacy at preventing reinfection. Definitely great news and gives me hope that eventually the people who opt not to get vaccinated will just get immunity the hard way. Hopefully the collateral damage among vaccinated people (and people who can't get vaccinated) from that happening is minimal.
opendoor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 12:09 PM   #1260
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

My 70+ year old parents got their first shots 2 months ago, which was step 1 of getting themselves protected. I registered both of them online (I'm in BC) since they aren't adept with most things online other than WeChat and this morning, I received notifications for both to book their second shots. Such a great feeling to know that they'll be fully protected soon!

Once they're both fully vaccinated, I'll be able to finally see them in person for the first time since November (I'm still debating whether or not I should wait until I'm fully vaccinated, which is what I'm leaning towards since it would likely be around end of June).

Fricking fantastic news on a Saturday morning!!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post: