Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Event Forums > COVID-19 Forum

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-13-2021, 10:27 AM   #3281
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player
 
TheIronMaiden's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: ATCO Field, Section 201
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Well this is interesting. OH&S just came through our shop, and told us covid is treated no differently than any other workplace hazard. He also said that vaccinations can be a condition of employment.

As an employer this opens up a whole new range of concerns. If you contract covid at work, are you entitled to workers comp? If you die from it, does it now fall on the employer and open them up to liabilities? If I force employees to be vaccinated, am I now bullying them? If someone lives in a multi family household, are they now a hazard to the workplace? The list goes on and on and on......

The answer to all this is to mandate vaccinations IMO. As a private company, I can see us requiring a vaccination as a condition of employment, as well as a condition to even enter our property.

I can imagine it will be a condition to enter a work camp before too long. this will go over like a led balloon.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:34 AM   #3282
Ashartus
Powerplay Quarterback
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Well this is interesting. OH&S just came through our shop, and told us covid is treated no differently than any other workplace hazard. He also said that vaccinations can be a condition of employment.

As an employer this opens up a whole new range of concerns. If you contract covid at work, are you entitled to workers comp? If you die from it, does it now fall on the employer and open them up to liabilities? If I force employees to be vaccinated, am I now bullying them? If someone lives in a multi family household, are they now a hazard to the workplace? The list goes on and on and on......

The answer to all this is to mandate vaccinations IMO. As a private company, I can see us requiring a vaccination as a condition of employment, as well as a condition to even enter our property.

I've heard similar things from employment lawyers. Companies need to do due diligence to protect their staff (and protect others from their staff). That could lead to mandatory vaccinations for staff that have regular contact with others as part of their job.


I don't think that would be an issue at my workplace, it seems every meeting starts with everyone talking about when they got or are booked for their vaccination.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:45 AM   #3283
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop
 
Cecil Terwilliger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Springfield Penitentiary
Exp:
Default

Yeah I find the whole post-vaccine rules very interesting in how they'll shake out.

Can my employer force me to return to work if we discover long COVID is a real risk even for vaccinated people? What if variants occur that present a risk? What about me carrying the virus home from work due to an unvaccinated/infected coworker and infecting a family member who couldn't get vaccinated, such as a child?

Can my employer guarantee that everyone in my office will be vaccinated?

Granted, I'm obviously pretty ignorant on the long term protections from the vaccine (can we be infected? Can we carry the virus?) and on if/when children will be vaccinated and the dangers of COVID going forward (variants, turning into a seasonal flu, booster shots etc).

I know they can't ensure 100% safety in every imaginable scenario if we start thinking broader than just COVID, but I feel like if you can do your job from home, your employer is duty bound to let you work at home indefinitely until the risk of coming back to work is equal to what it was pre-covid.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 05-13-2021 at 10:49 AM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:00 AM   #3284
ajr4013
Draft Pick
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickerjones View Post
I guess this is the version of the Orange Julius guy but.... Was read an email in which CS board of directors and staff are planning for a stampede in just under two months with no restrictions. They’ve requested 200-250 volunteers for just parade control.

Seems a bit presumptuous.
Did the email flat out say this was the plan or one the scenarios? I agree it would be very presumptuous to go ahead with no restrictions.
ajr4013 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:04 AM   #3285
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player
 
Bring_Back_Shantz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: In my office, at the Ministry of Awesome!
Exp:
Default

WRT the Stampede: they are selling tickets to the rodeo and chuckwagons already, and based on what is available, they most definitely are not assuming there will be no restrictions.
Looks to me like capacity for those events is 10-20%.

They would be dumb not to make plans for an event with lower restrictions, but as of now, they seem to be operating with the assumption of an event, but with some pretty heavy restrictions.
__________________
THE SHANTZ WILL RISE AGAIN.
<-----Check the Badge bitches. You want some Awesome, you come to me!

Last edited by Bring_Back_Shantz; 05-13-2021 at 11:15 AM.
Bring_Back_Shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:09 AM   #3286
no_joke
Farm Team Player
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Exp:
Default

To add a data point of personal experience: Booked an appointment for a test yesterday morning, nose scraped late morning, and received negative test result in the wee hours of the next morning. This was about 15 hours from booking to results.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk
no_joke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to no_joke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2021, 11:25 AM   #3287
nickerjones
Franchise Player
 
nickerjones's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Oklahoma - Where they call a puck a ball...
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajr4013 View Post
Did the email flat out say this was the plan or one the scenarios? I agree it would be very presumptuous to go ahead with no restrictions.
Maybe presumptuous on my end too but the email did not say "we are planning an event with NO restrictions". But it is a similar ask on volunteers from previous stampede years.
nickerjones is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nickerjones For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2021, 11:25 AM   #3288
Jay's Beagle
Farm Team Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: The Dog House
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bring_Back_Shantz View Post
WRT the Stampede: they are selling tickets to the rodeo and chuckwagons already, and based on what is available, they most definitely are not assuming there will be no restrictions.
Looks to me like capacity for those events is 10-20%.

They would be dumb not to make plans for an event with lower restrictions, but as of now, they seem to be operating with the assumption of an event, but with some pretty heavy restrictions.
As being someone who has worked at the stampede, I am not shocked by this at all. Granted, and I think we can all agree, that they are bleeding money and need this stampede to be as normal as it can be.

Will you catch me down on the grounds, nope. I don't trust that the restrictions will be there or it will be safe enough for me to visit. I will definitely be there in 2022 but not this year.
Jay's Beagle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:50 AM   #3289
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player
 
Bring_Back_Shantz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: In my office, at the Ministry of Awesome!
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay's Beagle View Post
As being someone who has worked at the stampede, I am not shocked by this at all. Granted, and I think we can all agree, that they are bleeding money and need this stampede to be as normal as it can be.

Will you catch me down on the grounds, nope. I don't trust that the restrictions will be there or it will be safe enough for me to visit. I will definitely be there in 2022 but not this year.
Yeah, I don't think I'll be roaming around the grounds and hitting up the roundup centre, but if the rodeo is a go and spaced out I'll be there for sure (already have my tickets).
__________________
THE SHANTZ WILL RISE AGAIN.
<-----Check the Badge bitches. You want some Awesome, you come to me!
Bring_Back_Shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:51 AM   #3290
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sylvan Lake
Exp:
Default

Anyone that knows anything about Stampede knows it has been a breeding ground for communicable diseases .......
__________________
Captain James P. DeCOSTE, CD, 18 Sep 1993

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 12:11 PM   #3291
Julio
First Line Centre
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Olympic Saddledome
Exp:
Default

Stampede has been gearing up for months to have something going on this July. Plans are very fluid, and they are hopeful for as 'regular' a Stampede as possible, both as it is needed for the organization, and for the community.
As far as rodeo and chuckwagon tickets, they are being conservative, as they should be. Seating at spectator events is certainly an evolving scenario, as we see places in the states moving from no attendance, to pods/percentage of seats open, to vaccinated and non vaccinated sections, to just letting things open up. It will be interesting to see how this evolves here as percentages of people with at least one shot exceed that same metric in the US.
__________________
"The Oilers are like a buffet with one tray of off-brand mac-and-cheese and the rest of it is weird Jell-O."
Greg Wyshynski, ESPN
Julio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 12:21 PM   #3292
Jay's Beagle
Farm Team Player
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: The Dog House
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio View Post
Stampede has been gearing up for months to have something going on this July. Plans are very fluid, and they are hopeful for as 'regular' a Stampede as possible, both as it is needed for the organization, and for the community.
As far as rodeo and chuckwagon tickets, they are being conservative, as they should be. Seating at spectator events is certainly an evolving scenario, as we see places in the states moving from no attendance, to pods/percentage of seats open, to vaccinated and non vaccinated sections, to just letting things open up. It will be interesting to see how this evolves here as percentages of people with at least one shot exceed that same metric in the US.
Yeah I can second this information when I worked there they talked about this. They have been planning this since the had to cancel last year.
Jay's Beagle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 12:24 PM   #3293
sa226
First Line Centre
 
sa226's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Back in Calgary!!
Exp:
Default

I actually can't believe how close we are to the end of this. The shackles of supply constraints are slowly being removed, young healthy people are able to receive the vaccine. There are signs of optimism everywhere.

Yet there are STILL doubts to when the end is actually going to come because people won't get vaccinated. After the the complete devastation of this passed year, mankind has a free ticket back to normalcy and people are still not getting vaccinated. It bottles the mind.

I can sympathize with vaccine hesitant people. But those people need to understand the true weight of their decision and educate themselves. Then, go get vaccinated. Anti-vax (pro disease) people can GTFO.

What I wonder, is if there is a new subset of people that are against getting the covid vaccine. Born from poor messaging, and falling victim to misinformation on social media. Or if these groups always existed.

I just can't believe that we're actually here at the end. 1st down on the 10 yard line, and society is mulling over punting it.
sa226 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:33 PM.

Calgary Flames
2019-20




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021