Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2021, 05:45 PM   #61
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

I want Phillips.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:05 PM   #62
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah the first question about expectations of winning the last four games was not very good. Not sure exactly what the expected answer was there as no coach is going to say winning isn't the goal. It is weird how he's downplaying the skill of the team vs other teams in the division as IMO it kind of lets the players off the hook for having a poor season.
To me it sounded like he gave Trev the vote of no confidence.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2021, 06:26 PM   #63
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

In a way it’s unfair that Daryl “the new guy” had to be the first to face the music after being officially eliminated. Might have been smarter for the team to throw Treliving or Conroy in front of the media to address the results of the season, then have Daryl do his usual practice day presser.

I agree Daryl’s comments were an indictment of the state of the team. The front office can’t be happy with the coach admitting they met expectations this year.
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:30 PM   #64
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
I want Phillips.
With Mangiapane, Gaudreau and Dube in the lineup, the team is already too easy to play against
Old 05-12-2021, 06:32 PM   #65
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieuwy-89 View Post
In a way it’s unfair that Daryl “the new guy” had to be the first to face the music after being officially eliminated. Might have been smarter for the team to throw Treliving or Conroy in front of the media to address the results of the season, then have Daryl do his usual practice day presser.

I agree Daryl’s comments were an indictment of the state of the team. The front office can’t be happy with the coach admitting they met expectations this year.
Thinking Treliving is a dead man walking as that is what it seems. We haven't heard from him in weeks? The sooner they rip the bandaid off the better.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2021, 06:37 PM   #66
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna Sniper View Post
With Mangiapane, Gaudreau and Dube in the lineup, the team is already too easy to play against
Playoffs are a lost cause bud; give the youth movement a look. Ruzicka and Phillips earned those looks big time this year.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:38 PM   #67
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I don’t agree this was supposed to be a team fighting for 4th they should be fighting for 1st or 2nd. Only the Leafs looked better on paper and while the Flames don’t have the high end forwards the Oilers or even Jets have they had a superior blueline and supposedly had depth that would be enough to have them compete with the top heavy teams.

This team failed because they could not score goals and we saw their top players take a step back or side step instead of step forward. Markstrom was far too inconsistent in year 1 of his deal but the goal scoring is still the biggest issue
Maybe Sutter is trying to create higher expectations. The roster was not built well enough offensively or defensively to compete against teams with elite players, and too many players couldn't or wouldn't keep up. Lots of inconsistency from key players.

We get by on a clunker with a few good pieces and some spare parts. while other teams are driving around in newer model cars!
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2021, 06:46 PM   #68
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
I dunno. I thought he was just tired of answering questions and felt like pushing back at one. Telling Leslie “Well, you’re the expert, so what do you say”.

I think his only larger point is that predictions are dumb. They are a team that was fighting for 4th because the actual evidence says they were. I don’t disagree.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2021, 06:47 PM   #69
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyuss275 View Post
^^This. That's why he is basically saying this team is not very good...

If they asked him which players were good, I bet he would be hard pressed to name more than a handful.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 06:51 PM   #70
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
If I'm in the media, the first chance I get to ask Treliving a question, I'm pointing out to him where this team was when he took over, where it is now, what's been accomplished in between and then asking for his plan moving forward.

Hi Brad, you took over this team with a five year plan that you've alluded to many times. Well, it's been five years and here's where we were, here's what we've done, here's where we are. What now? Each of your offseasons have failed to produce positive playoff results. What are you going to do differently this offseason to rectify that?

The fans are the stakeholders of this team. We should have access to real answers to real questions about the present and future of this team. Just like any other enterprise in this country is required to do for its stakeholders, so should the Calgary Flames.
The question can be asked but do you expect or would you want the GM to reveal his plans for the off-season in any level of detail?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:02 PM   #71
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Playoffs are a lost cause bud; give the youth movement a look. Ruzicka and Phillips earned those looks big time this year.
bud (smh)

How many small players can you dress in one forward lineup on a team that struggles with playing heavy as it is? You can even, say two of those smaller players are on the top end of those that play heavy but it doesn't mean they are

Ruzicka has nothing to do with what I said, you can play Phillips with what I said as well... just not with the other 3 in the lineup

Sit Johnny and Dube and problem solved
Old 05-12-2021, 07:06 PM   #72
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
bud (smh)

How many small players can you dress in one forward lineup on a team that struggles with playing heavy as it is?
At least one per line.

But really, you shouldn't be making roster decisions on height or weight, or perceived "heavy play", but rather on effectiveness.

"Heavy play" was supposed to be ehat Brouwer, Neal, jankowski, Colborne, brought to the table.

It's just a load of BS. The cup champs were the smallest forward group i can imagine. Yanni Gourde gets off the ice and Tyler Johnson gets on, and then Brayden Point or Nikita Kucherov.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2021, 07:07 PM   #73
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

That comment was meant more tongue in cheek and definitely not as a shot or jab at you..?? Sorry I guess? Haha man it’s getting tougher to even just talk or joke casually without someone taking it wrong and apparently shaking their head??? Again sorry if that irked you but definitely wasn’t intended that way and honestly this feels laughable that I’m even having to explain that.

At this point please don’t sit Johnny at least until after Thursday... I need him for my hockey pool lol
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:11 PM   #74
Mindtravellee
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Why can't Dube be benched like Valimaki has been?
Mindtravellee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 07:22 PM   #75
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really doubt these games are going to be rough - both teams are playing out the string. If you are really afraid of the Canucks taking liberties, you can dress Lucic, Ritchie, Robinson, Tkachuk, Gio and Stone. You could start that lineup and go retro.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:30 PM   #76
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Nobody thinks they are true cup contenders (maybe the GM and owners do?) but they are better that what they showed this season.
Maybe the issue is that the players think (thought) they were contenders, and Daryl is working to disabuse them of this notion?
blender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blender For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2021, 08:37 PM   #77
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Maybe the issue is that the players think (thought) they were contenders, and Daryl is working to disabuse them of this notion?
I wouldn't doubt it considering how many times they only showed up to play one period this season.
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:40 PM   #78
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So? There's 4 games left that don't matter. Might as well see what we've got on the farm. I bet the kids would give a better effort than the vets who have already checked out on the season.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote