Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2019, 01:05 PM   #21
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Those unhappy players have a point. It is their career in the end. Play me or ship me out if you don't like my game. Benching a guy is not going to make him a star next game. Sometimes what you see is what you get. That's reasonable.
This is exact what Commodore talked about when Babs kept benching him. These players don't sign for that. Commodore was also a player that Sutter traded away just so he could play. There was no room for him here. Sutter had no problems bringing guys to Calgary like Treliving.

At some point the organization will build a bad reputation. Stockpiling players is nice in theory, but you can't overlook the human factor.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Red For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2019, 01:06 PM   #22
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Jankowski I think needs a new home more than Bennett for the following reasons:

1) With Lindholm moved to centre we're actually quite deep there. Lindholm-Monahan-Backlund-Ryan means we have four top 3 line centres so Jankowski is never going to get a sniff above line 4 or a scratch
2) He has size, skill and skating and plays the most important position. I'd imagine there are teams out there who think he can still be a 2nd or 3rd line centre with a greater opportunity

The problem is we can't sell too low on him. But he's a guy that makes a lot of sense to me before next season.

I'd imagine both Bennett and Janko are available. But Treliving isn't looking to give them away unlike some posters around here.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:09 PM   #23
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
Yep, and that's a huge indictment on Bennett and Janko because Rieder kinda sucks at NHL hockey and Rinaldo definitely sucks at NHL hockey, yet somehow they've been better this year than Bennett and Janko.
I think Rinaldo and Rieder have been pretty good this year - regardless of who they pushed down the depth chart - I don't think they 'suck at NHL hockey'.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:09 PM   #24
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
At some point the organization will build a bad reputation. Stockpiling players is nice in theory, but you can't overlook the human factor.
This paranoia about the reputation of the organization makes no sense.

Good teams scratch good players
Good players want to sign with good teams

I don't think us scratching good players makes players not want to sign with us or think less of the organization. Players will sign with us to compete.

I mean I guess some players would rather play for more money, with a bigger opportunity on a worse team because then they pad their stats. Do we really want those types of players signing for us anyway? I want the players that are desperate to compete.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2019, 01:14 PM   #25
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
I think Rinaldo and Rieder have been pretty good this year - regardless of who they pushed down the depth chart - I don't think they 'suck at NHL hockey'.
They do suck at NHL hockey.

It's not only about this year, it's about their overall body of work. Yes, they've been good this year more than not no question about that, but I'm talking about their entire NHL careers. And they've been really bad more often than not in their overall NHL career.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:16 PM   #26
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's not only about this year, it's about their overall body of work. Yes, they've been good this year more than not no question about that, but I'm talking about their entire NHL careers. And they've been really bad more often than not in their overall NHL career.
Rieder has had a pretty solid career short of one season with the losers
Old 12-31-2019, 01:18 PM   #27
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:

Just because players are role players doesn't mean they suck at hockey. In fact they are pretty elite at hockey. They play in the best league on earth.

Your wording sucked Karl. Just admit it and move on.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2019, 01:18 PM   #28
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Rieder has had a pretty solid career short of one season with the losers
Yeah, I guess he's had a solid career for someone with fairly limited skill.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:19 PM   #29
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Just because players are role players doesn't mean they suck at hockey. In fact they are pretty elite at hockey. They play in the best league on earth.

Your wording sucked Karl. Just admit it and move on.
I said NHL hockey. Didn't say they suck at hockey at ALL levels or period, just NHL hockey. It's relative, so compared to the average NHL skilled player they do, especially Rinaldo.

Last edited by Karl; 12-31-2019 at 01:23 PM.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:23 PM   #30
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
I said NHL hockey. Didn't say they suck at hockey period, just NHL hockey. It's relative.
You don’t sign multiple multi-year deals in the NHL, if you suck at NHL hockey. It’s a silly argument.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:25 PM   #31
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I don't think Rieder has limited skill at all. It takes plenty of skill to be a good skater and Rieder is one of the best skaters on the team. He's good on the boards and makes good passes. He's scored plenty of goals in the NHL.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:25 PM   #32
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett drawing back in tonight is a good thing, but it’s in the wrong spot.

Stop playing Backlund on the RW.

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Mangiapane
Gaudreau - Monahan - Bennett
Lucic - Ryan - Dube
Rieder - Backlund - Frolik

That seems like such an obvious alteration. Why put Gaudreau back with Lucic and Ryan and keep Backlund in a spot where he continues to not produce.

The interest in Jankowski to me means he’s likely gone in the next 60 days - he just has no spot on the roster and can’t find ways to help.

Bennett on the other hand - with Ward saying players need some consistency, I think this is the time you really do try and deploy him as the new Ferland. Clearly the weakest link on the line, but Monahan and Gaudreau could help elevate it. Don’t kick him off the line after 30 seconds or after one mistake. Let them play it out for a dozen games.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2019, 01:26 PM   #33
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
You don’t sign multiple multi-year deals in the NHL, if you suck at NHL hockey. It’s a silly argument.
You might if you're a good face puncher like Rinaldo because it's been realtively recent where the enforcer, goon, or great face puncher has been disappearing from the game.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:27 PM   #34
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Bennett drawing back in tonight is a good thing, but it’s in the wrong spot.

Stop playing Backlund on the RW.

Tkachuk - Lindholm - Mangiapane
Gaudreau - Monahan - Bennett
Lucic - Ryan - Dube
Rieder - Backlund - Frolik

That seems like such an obvious alteration. Why put Gaudreau back with Lucic and Ryan and keep Backlund in a spot where he continues to not produce.
He isn’t there to produce. He’s there to lighten the defensive responsibility for Monahan to produce. And Bennett basically gets a shot with 0 defensive responsibility.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2019, 01:29 PM   #35
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rinaldo is useful in certain situations and has been decent in most games he played this year.

At any rate, I doubt he is one of the ones that is unhappy about rotating in and out of the line-up. He is probably just happy that he can contribute to the team. He seems like the kind of guy that will practice just as hard as he plays, which is great to have. It keeps the other players on the feet as well. You need veterans than can push younger players but not fuss if they don't get the call every game. I would be surprised if Rinaldo doesn't accept and take pride in that role at this point of his career.

Reider might be frustrated having gone through waivers. He has had his moments this year, but has been pretty 'meh' for the most part. He probably knows that this might be his last NHL contract.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:29 PM   #36
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
You might if you're a good face puncher like Rinaldo because it's been realtively recent where the enforcer, goon, or great face puncher has been disappearing from the game.
‘Disappearing from the game’, as in: currently and historically a part of NHL hockey?

If you want to say his role is becoming obsolete you’d have a lot of people agree with you. However his recent play is showing he still has something to bring in a grinder role.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:34 PM   #37
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Even tho his tact and articulation are lacking, I think Karl is saying Rieder and Rinaldo are replaceable at the NHL level because they lack high end offensive skills.

The have carved out careers because they have other NHL level skills and have used them to become utility depth players.

In general he is not wrong.

They don’t suck at NHL hockey but they are replaceable 4th liners.

This is coming from a guy who has really come to like both players.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:53 PM   #38
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would think Treliving would prefer picks over swapping salaries. Lighten the cap load for future use.
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 01:58 PM   #39
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is Frolik's agent spewing crap again?
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 02:10 PM   #40
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m waiting for Friedman or someone like him to start throwing out something about Gaudreau. On pace for 60 points, and the trendline is heading down right now.

You know there is talk within the organization about what may be going wrong with him. For get about trade talk. Trade him or keep him, we need a lot more out do him than this.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post: