Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2019, 09:37 AM   #21
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
passing.

They can barely make/take an nhl caliber pass lately.

Last season it was fast/effective tape-to-tape passes, this season it's in the skates/behind a guy/hopping over sticks, etc...
Seriously. It has to stem from confidence levels. Thinking way too much, gripping the stick instead of a natural flow. Everything seems so forced for everybody. That extra second of trying to kick the puck up to your stick to get a handle on it or reaching back for it is simply murdering the teams transition.

I understand that the forwards are getting shifted around and everyone is playing with different line mates but jeez. A couple of clean passes would make such a difference right now. I feel like most guys are playing in a frenzied panic mode when they have the puck. Almost feels like they as a collective group need to slow the game down a bit and focus using a little more control.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:38 AM   #22
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Urgency.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:40 AM   #23
Elkyiv
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The team looks too tense out there. They need to take a soak.
Elkyiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:44 AM   #24
CaptainCrunch77
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Colorado provided the book in the playoffs on how to beat the Flames. Other teams have watched the video and adjusted accordingly. Until the coaching staff figures out a way to adapt this team is screwed.
CaptainCrunch77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch77 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 09:47 AM   #25
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

They look like the team from 17-18

I think they are all worrying so much about D and positioning they have lost all offensive instinct and fun.

This team can never be a system team. Let them create, blow the zone, etc.

Sure it 'might' not be a successful strategy in the playoffs, but you have to maximize the skillset of your roster.

Everytime I hear Peter's preach about defense I cringe. This team has average at best goaltending and small forwards and D

Run and gun and accept you will blow some leads and have breakdowns.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 09:52 AM   #26
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch77 View Post
Colorado provided the book in the playoffs on how to beat the Flames. Other teams have watched the video and adjusted accordingly. Until the coaching staff figures out a way to adapt this team is screwed.
While I think other teams have certainly adjusted to the Flames (the Flames have no answer to teams that enter the zone with speed - the defence gives them way too much space and players like MacKinnon and McDavid eat them alive), the doesn't explain why the offence has dried up.

The xGF of the top line is dismal. Yes, everyone's shooting percentage is down, but that alone doesn't explain the top line's decline.

I can't even say that it's a coaching adjustment because it's not like Peters is telling them pass the puck to their feet or take low quality chances.

I'd say it's confidence. It's almost as if they beating the Avs laid on them in the spring has killed their belief that this team can ever win anything. And I'm not too sure I'd disagree with that sentiment.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:53 AM   #27
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Between the ears issues.
Why are they playing like pussies. Taking weak penalties and only showing up for 10 minutes if that per night.

Can Matthew Tkachuk do the Vulcan mind meld and get these guys to buy in on his own? This kid has it all but no supporting cast.
I'll be pissed if he alone has to be the one to motivate his teammates as he used to draw everyone in an have them fully engaged.
Is his schtick getting old too? Because it's all the coaches f ing fault right? Right?

What a bunch of horses hirt. .....maybe we need Darryl back as some sort of mental motivator.?

I dunno....I think Neal rubbed off in a bad way in that locker room ...like leaving a burning bag o poo on the doorstep and ringing the doorbell and running away.
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:54 AM   #28
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
passing.

They can barely make/take an nhl caliber pass lately.

Last season it was fast/effective tape-to-tape passes, this season it's in the skates/behind a guy/hopping over sticks, etc...
I don't know if this is the issue or just the symptom but this has been GLARING all season, save for a couple of games where passing was crisp and confident. I seem to recall winning those games.

The amount of times I've heard "couldn't collect the pass, pass was into his feet, just couldn't reach that pass, pass was just behind him" along with numerous turnovers is unreal.

Team just seems wildly out of sync.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:03 AM   #29
CaptainCrunch77
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
While I think other teams have certainly adjusted to the Flames (the Flames have no answer to teams that enter the zone with speed - the defence gives them way too much space and players like MacKinnon and McDavid eat them alive), the doesn't explain why the offence has dried up.

The xGF of the top line is dismal. Yes, everyone's shooting percentage is down, but that alone doesn't explain the top line's decline.

I can't even say that it's a coaching adjustment because it's not like Peters is telling them pass the puck to their feet or take low quality chances.

I'd say it's confidence. It's almost as if they beating the Avs laid on them in the spring has killed their belief that this team can ever win anything. And I'm not too sure I'd disagree with that sentiment.
I think it does to some extent. Teams have figured out that to beat the Flames they have to play physical with Gaudreau. Take away his time and space, get him frustrated, you can see the results.

If Gaudreau is eliminated Monahan generally is as well. Lindholm was able to take advantage of teams keying on his line mates for a while but you can't expect one player to handle that much of the load for long.

Beyond that, some of this is a confidence issue. The team seems to have lost confidence in their ability to adapt to what they're seeing. They may have also lost some confidence in their coaching staff to guide them through this. If they can start to get a few bounces and regain some of that lost confidence that will help but it still won't solve the issue of other teams having figured out how to beat them.

If they can somehow come up with a solid second line that can take some of the pressure off of Gaudreau that will make a big difference. Something like

Gaudreau - Monahan - Mangiapane
Tkachuk - Lindholm - Dube

They've obviously been trying this for some time now but nothing has really clicked so far. It may be that too much of the season will be lost before they finally do get this solved. Time will tell.
CaptainCrunch77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:05 AM   #30
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Were there any Taylor Swift banners put up in the Dome?
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:13 AM   #31
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trying to live up to expectations of being better than they are. Last year they were playing better than they were and this year they're trying to be as good as they were instead of as good as they really are. I think there is too much pressure on them and they're folding like a tent.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:17 AM   #32
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Confidence is the biggest thing.

Besides that Gaudreau is playing scared and careless. When he tries too much he gives away the puck far too easily. It doesn’t look like he has the determination to fight through nhl checking. He gets annoyed by hooking, holding, slashing and non-calls and then it frustrates him and his game goes even more downhill.

I’ve lost faith that this will ever change. I think Gaudreau will have confident periods in the future again. But due to how the playoffs become tighter checking and because Gaudreau can’t fight through the checking and gets super frustrated I’m becoming convinced that he’s probably not the guy to build around.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:25 AM   #33
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Last season was an anomaly, I fail to see how we cant realize this.
We had 6 players having career years for 2/3 of the season, then that fell to 5.

Lindholm, Tkachuk, Johnny, Monahan and Gio all had their best seasons ever.
You cant for a second think this would continue to happen again this year, especially considering that shortly after the allstar break the Flames fell back down to reality and we all know how the playoffs went.

For whatever reason we stuck with our core, made negative moves (failed a few trades) and are now stuck playing terrible hockey with seemingly no end in sight.

We need a blockbuster to get this team back on track.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 10:26 AM   #34
Mattman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lot's of untimely injuries to start the year.

It's not an excuse, but I believe it plays a strong factor in a team trying to find its feet.

Valimaki
Czarnik
Brodie
Hamonic
Bennett
Old 11-21-2019, 10:28 AM   #35
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Last year's playoffs showed this team just how far away from contending that they really are. They know that they are not built for the playoffs.

There needs to be changes, not tinkering.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brick For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 10:31 AM   #36
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Urgency.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:34 AM   #37
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember last year when they started turning things around there was an interview with Hanifin and he talked about how the team had a lengthy meeting after the 9-1 loss to the Pens and he talked about how they committed to each other and were playing for each other. This year they don’t seem to be as cohesive and are wildly inconsistent.

Ward nailed it when he said everyone needs to hate to lose and with that they need to hold each other accountable.

In addition similar to the drop off we all called after the 2017 Oilers had a season of a ton of career highs many said the same thing about the Flames this year. Monahan went from a perennial 60ish point player to better than ppg last year. Lindholm nearly doubled his previous highs, Tkachuk took another massive leap, Gio shattered his previous highs at 35 and Johnny also had his biggest year. Jankowski, Hamonic, Hanifin, Hathaway all had career years as well.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 10:46 AM   #38
calgaryfox
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Enjoyment.
None of the players look to be having fun. Even when Johnny has scored this year, he just looks like he's had to eat a plateful of veggies. Last year they were jumping all over each other when the top line scored. Enthusiasm was infectious. This year it's a poison that's spread throughout the team. Time for them to man up and stop feeling sorry for themselves.

Paid millions of dollars per year for playing a game for a living and they look totally miserable? I would find it hard to look anywhere near that level of miserable on a fraction of their salaries.
calgaryfox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to calgaryfox For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2019, 11:11 AM   #39
playmaker
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Garnet Hathaway
playmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 11:26 AM   #40
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elkyiv View Post
The team looks too tense out there. They need to take a soak.
Very solid reference. I laughed pretty good at that one.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote