Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2019, 02:52 PM   #21
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
I can't help but notice only 1* Stanley Cup between the 3 teams you mentioned in the OP.

*It was in!!
And that was against a team from a place supposedly no one wants to go to. And was made up of guys they either drafted (Richards, Lecav.) or were traded to them (Modin, Stillman, Boyle, Khabibulin).

Andreychuk is the only guy who chose to go there as a UFA that had other offers that I can think of and it was a surprise that he did. MSL went there because they weren't that good at the time and could give him minutes.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:37 PM   #22
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does this theory only apply to hockey?

As I'm willing to bet most of the NFL and NBA and MLB teams down south are under MUCH larger spotlights and still win championships.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:42 PM   #23
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Logically, your argument necessitates that they wanted to be here last year. So you should now easily understand why the logic of this argument simply does not work.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:50 PM   #24
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't drink and post kiddos (cept in the GT)

Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 04:52 PM   #25
gt4flames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hard to take an argument seriously when there isn't one Capital letter in the whole gambit.
gt4flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:09 PM   #26
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Things that make me mental

Losing streak happens

Trade all of our bestest players its rebuilding time. We need to rebuild right meow.
Fire the coach, sure he's been here for a year and a half but fire him, because he's lost the room
Put the GM on notice, ride or die punk.

Then it slides

I heard through a friend of a friend who's like a subscriber to Reddit that Johnny hates Sean. Tkatchuk wants out, and Hanifan is so fast because he's like a major coke addict

Then

The players don't want to be here so as a group they got together and said, come on fella's lets play ourselves out of the city.

Look, its a losing streak, as Bingo I think pointed out on another thread, the players are having a start with uncharacteristic stats and low shooting percentages.

You can't keep firing coaches every 2 years or a year and a half

You don't make bad trades or panic trades during a losing streak unless a player ie like Neal needs to be traded to Mars.

I expect that we're going to lose tonight.

I think it was in 86 that the Flames lost like 11 in a row, can you imagine if we had the internet then?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 11-19-2019 at 05:12 PM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 05:16 PM   #27
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckbrain View Post
i'm beginning to see a trend in the NHL that teams from the "sun belt" (phoenix, tampa bay, florida) are doing well compared to hockey market teams...

i think some of players in calgary don't want to be here, looking at you gaudreau and monihan!!!!! thus they are playing like sh*t.....

the players in non hockey markets are playing so well compared to hockey markets..

there are no media pressure, not like in toronto....also places like tampa bay don't have higher tax brackets compared to montreal, where players have to pay higher taxes....

also free agents, in their NMC, don't want to play in certain hockey markets...just recently the mike stone trade, in his NTMC, had calgary as place not be traded to....signed vegas because the city is sexy and has no media pressure compared to cold, media pressure in calgary....

i know i might be bushed by creating this thread...i would like to see calgary do well as a hockey market however with the reality is that calgary is not a favorable market for players....free agent or non free agents....
lol those teams have done well??? those two teams have been basement dwellers for much of their history

Last edited by dino7c; 11-19-2019 at 05:20 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:34 PM   #28
RedHawk12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

As poor as the OP's arguments are, I guess there is *some* truth.

1. Not a lot of high profile free agents choose Calgary. They might not all choose the "sun belt" markets, but it still stands that we have never attracted a Panarin, Duchene, Richards, Sakic, Niedermayer, Doan in FA...although we were allegedly close on a few.

2. Calgary is one of the markets that appear often on NTCs and NMCs. Not as often as Winnipeg or Edmonton, but still more than the average US market.

However...we haven't really lost a big name to a trade demand recently either. And our players recently have been eager to sign extensions with this team. Tkachuk even said they were thinking long term all along. Unless we see a star player like Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk or Gio demand a trade, or walk in free agency despite our best efforts to convince them to re-sign...I'm going to say your argument is unsupported.
RedHawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 05:52 PM   #29
Travis Munroe
Realtor®

Exp:

Winning is fun no matter where you are.

There really isn't as much free time around town during the season as you may expect.

I am confident that we are going to finish the season a top team. This is an ugly slump but give me a slump early in the season over game 1 of the playoffs anyday. There is too much talent, a coach who coached them to the top spot in the west and improved goaltending from last year to not make the playoffs. It is very rare that a team with this talent doesn't make it when you look at the course of an 82 game season.

OFFICIAL CP REALTOR & PROPERTY MANAGER
Travis Munroe | Century 21 Elevate | 403.971.4300

Residential Buying & Selling
info@tmunroe.com
www.tmunroe.com

Property Management
travis@mpmCalgary.com
www.mpmCalgary.com
Travis Munroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:56 PM   #30
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

This thread was made for Soulchoice, he can give his "players all have Calgary on their no trade list and they're damn right to" speech!
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-19-2019, 07:02 PM   #31
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHawk12 View Post
As poor as the OP's arguments are, I guess there is *some* truth.

1. Not a lot of high profile free agents choose Calgary. They might not all choose the "sun belt" markets, but it still stands that we have never attracted a Panarin, Duchene, Richards, Sakic, Niedermayer, Doan in FA...although we were allegedly close on a few.
Bouwmeester was a day or two away from being a free agent technically, but he was about to be a hugely sought after free agent and one of the youngest ever.

Sakic signed with the Rangers, but really he never left the Avalanche and Selanne would technically qualify the same way then since he did sign with Calgary.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:30 PM   #32
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't want to be in Calgary this year either. The dome of hot air from the O&G companies dissipated over the last few years when most of them slowed the production of oil and stopped flaring the H2S gas. So, basically it's frickin cold and dreary most of the year now. Maybe next year will be better when the production of oil starts again!
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:15 AM   #33
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If you are in your 20s and making millions per year Calgary is like near the bottom of all nhl destinations not named Edmonton Winnipeg or Ottawa. Dormant vegetation and road gravel half the year. Usually windy. And convertible season is like 2 weeks.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 12:50 AM   #34
Stauner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I see this post has brought out the usual posters who offer nothing and pick apart spelling and grammar.

He may have used bad examples as his point. But in a way his point is correct who wants to come here?. ####test arena a team that fails every year and a fanbase that has accepted mediocre hockey.

This organization needs cleansed from top to bottom and need filled with winners with a win now mentality
Stauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:02 AM   #35
Zach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Calgary is definitely not an attractive destination for free agents but I doubt that has anything to do with the current situation.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 01:19 AM   #36
gamesaver
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't think the players are losing because they don't want to be here, however as someone said above me, winning is fun, losing is not. If you are not winning and happen to be in a freezing city full of diehard fans, freaking out about how badly you do, media tearing you apart after every loss, it's not so unlikely some players might want to get out quickly rather than trying to turn it around.

I would like to know how Johhny feels right now. He became a franchise player as an undersized 4th rounder, carried this team for years. Now some sort of adversity and fans are running him out of town already. He has no real number 1C to play with, Monahan's multiple wrist surgeries obviously took a toll at him, his finishing ability is gone. Count in the fact Flames got a lot of US players, the hype of a Canadian market is not such a big interest for those. Lets have a look at some UFA's. The best one was definitely Mike Smith, a mediocre starting goalie at the end of his career. Having to overpay just to get to see James Neal coasting in the C of Red for one season. Having to take one of the league's worst contracts just to get rid of him. And why do you think we got so many Ex-Oilers? And vice-versa? Because they had nowhere else to go. It's either Alberta or Siberia. That's why we are going to see Oilers and Flames constantly exchanging their bottom 6 and depth players like Rieder that would have no business to stay in the league otherwise.

It's definitely harder to win in Calgary, one cup in 30 years and no recent playoff success is not a coincidence in my opinion. And you can as well put this sh*t into unpopular opinion's thread. I am done with the venting now, thanks for attention.

Last edited by gamesaver; 11-20-2019 at 01:33 AM.
gamesaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 02:20 AM   #37
mister__big
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBR View Post
Username does not check out.
Or it totally makes sense... he took a puck to the brain and became this way
mister__big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 08:38 AM   #38
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Add the fact that the economy in this province is really hurting. Some experts say that our economic woes are just beginning. If people can’t afford to spend top dollar on a mediocre team, how long till we see the threat of the team relocating to a more economically viable location? Just like the late 90’s.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:09 AM   #39
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Nite View Post
Tampa this year, not doing that great, San Jose, LA, Dallas not doing all that great either. Montreal has been somewhat surprising.
Dallas can't lose these days?
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:25 AM   #40
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stauner View Post
I see this post has brought out the usual posters who offer nothing and pick apart spelling and grammar.

He may have used bad examples as his point. But in a way his point is correct who wants to come here?. ####test arena a team that fails every year and a fanbase that has accepted mediocre hockey.

This organization needs cleansed from top to bottom and need filled with winners with a win now mentality
You’re right. It’s totally the fans fault. We are lame and have let the city down.

Accepted mediocre hockey? Have you read a game thread, or any thread for that matter?

I don’t disagree with your other points but throwing the fans under the bus is a bit much.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote