Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-29-2019, 02:37 PM   #301
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The weekend estimates are in and The Rise of Skywalker is projected for $72 million over the weekend, which is slightly ahead of what The Last Jedi did in its second weekend.

TROS has closed the gap on TLJ in the day-to-day comparison with $361.8 million after 10 days. TLJ was at $368.2 after 10 days. However, TROS has already had its Christmas Day bump, where TLJ didn't get its until day 11.

TROS passed both Joker and Aladdin for the year, which gives Disney 7 of the top 8 movies for 2019, with Spider-Man: Far From Home being the only one in the top 8 that Disney doesn't outright own.

TROS should crack the $400 million mark sometime this week, which will pull it ahead of Far From Home to give Disney complete control of the year's Top Six movies, and every one of the 6 films to gross over $400 million at the domestic box office in 2019 (Frozen II passed $400 million on Boxing Day).

Sometime this week, Frozen II should pass both Captain Marvel and Toy Story 4 to move into 3rd overall spot for the year. TROS shouldn't be far behind and could pass Captain Marvel, Toy Story 4, and Frozen II before next weekend.
Old 12-29-2019, 07:04 PM   #302
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Will it pass Lion King? I imagine it does but could be closer than we thought at the beginning of the year.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 07:20 PM   #303
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

So far, it is outpacing Rogue One and Rogue One finished $11 million behind The Lion King's total.

As long as it continues to outperform Rogue One and keeps pace with The Last Jedi's performance into the New Year, it should easily pass The Lion King.

TLJ passed The Lion King's total on its 20th day of release, which for TROS will be January 8.
Old 12-30-2019, 01:56 PM   #304
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

An excellent Star Wars movie would have become the highest grossing of all time. Franchise is still riding the coat tails of the OT.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 12-30-2019, 02:03 PM   #305
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
An excellent Star Wars movie would have become the highest grossing of all time. Franchise is still riding the coat tails of the OT.
The thing is....I really dont think they care.

Making money off of the movie is all well and good, but rather than making really good movies they appear to be more interested in selling a phenomenon.

With that obviously comes film revenues but also Hotels, Cruises, Themeparks, toys and innumerable other merchandise and memorabilia which likely supercedes any earnings a film could make.

I mean...I went to the movie just a few days ago and they were selling novelty R2-D2 popcorn buckets the size of a trash can....in the theatre! The stupid thing probably cost more than the tickets.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 02:08 PM   #306
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well from what I've read their toy sales suck, theme parks are not going great and of course the movies are making about as much as you'd expect from the average "blockbuster". Disney has succeeded in taking arguably the best movie IP and turning it into just another movie.

In my view it is largely incompetence.
Old 12-30-2019, 02:37 PM   #307
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Well from what I've read their toy sales suck, theme parks are not going great and of course the movies are making about as much as you'd expect from the average "blockbuster". Disney has succeeded in taking arguably the best movie IP and turning it into just another movie.

In my view it is largely incompetence.

To be fair to Disney a lot of the issues with the parks are related more to general economic conditions. The costs for Disney have gone through the roof, forcing them to increase ticket costs. Salaries for the middle class have not been going up.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 02:45 PM   #308
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hollywood and probably the human race in general has run out of new ideas. But it's still possible to take an established character and do something special with it look a Joker. When I first saw the film I thought, well yea that was incredibly well done with spectacular writing and acting. But was it really that good?

The more I think about it the better the movie gets will definitely buy it in 4K.
Old 12-30-2019, 03:14 PM   #309
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Hollywood and probably the human race in general has run out of new ideas. But it's still possible to take an established character and do something special with it look a Joker. When I first saw the film I thought, well yea that was incredibly well done with spectacular writing and acting. But was it really that good?

The more I think about it the better the movie gets will definitely buy it in 4K.
There was nothing really all that new about Star Wars when it came out. It was actually a rip off of Flash Gordon. George Lucas had actually tried to acquire the rights to Flash Gordon, and when he couldn't he just adapted his story for new characters. What made Star Wars great was the execution: good characters, amazing effects, great storytelling, etc...

Hollywood these days doesn't really try very hard. There are major problems from the casting to the over-reliance on CGI. All sci-fi and action movies are stuffed into this horrible CGI fest. Even the colour palates seem identical. Actors are chosen for looks, and seem to be as generically good looking as possible.

Remakes have always been part of storytelling, from before they started making movies. However, now the studios are just too concerned about mass appeal. Everything looks and feels the same as to appeal to as wide an audience as possible. This means very few risks are taken.

That being said, people do see things through rose coloured glasses. Up until about 10 years ago, there was some real B-movie grade crap passing as hollywood fare. For example, a movie like Catwoman wouldn't get made today. The previously overly relied on "vehicle" to cash in solely on star power really isn't acceptable without at least a half decent movie behind it.
Old 12-31-2019, 02:28 PM   #310
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
To be fair to Disney a lot of the issues with the parks are related more to general economic conditions. The costs for Disney have gone through the roof, forcing them to increase ticket costs. Salaries for the middle class have not been going up.
Everything I have read says the parks are doing well. Attendance and spending per guest are all up. The blemish on their performance has been increased spending on things like Galaxy’s Edge which aren’t translating as well as hoped.

I don’t see Disney complaining about economic conditions.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 03:58 PM   #311
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Everything I have read says the parks are doing well. Attendance and spending per guest are all up. The blemish on their performance has been increased spending on things like Galaxy’s Edge which aren’t translating as well as hoped.

I don’t see Disney complaining about economic conditions.
The parks have decreased traffic. Disney attempted to spin this in August stating that the decrease in traffic was due to them and guests managing their trips around the Galaxy's Edge opening. It's been 4 months since then, and the increased traffic Disney promised never materialized.

Disney is trying to put rose coloured glasses on everything for the purpose of holding their stock price. So they definitely aren't complaining about economic conditions.
Old 12-31-2019, 07:45 PM   #312
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The parks have decreased traffic. Disney attempted to spin this in August stating that the decrease in traffic was due to them and guests managing their trips around the Galaxy's Edge opening. It's been 4 months since then, and the increased traffic Disney promised never materialized.

Disney is trying to put rose coloured glasses on everything for the purpose of holding their stock price. So they definitely aren't complaining about economic conditions.
Well yeah that’s in their Q3 press release but that just emphasizes that Galaxy’s Edge not drawing new crowds. I personally don’t believe there’s much evidence of the shrinking middle class driving lower Disney attendance. Saw today that Magic Kingdom had to close because it was at capacity.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 10:35 AM   #313
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rise of the Skywalker box office legs have fallen out, it's now lagging almost $70 million behind where TLJ was after the same amount of time in box office. It should be able to leg it to $500M domestic / $1B worldwide but not much more.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 04:08 PM   #314
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Well yeah that’s in their Q3 press release but that just emphasizes that Galaxy’s Edge not drawing new crowds. I personally don’t believe there’s much evidence of the shrinking middle class driving lower Disney attendance. Saw today that Magic Kingdom had to close because it was at capacity.
Yeah I don't know who keeps saying this crap...starwars OT fanboys?

go to disneyland or world...its packed. I keep hearing its a ghost town, I franking wish
Old 01-07-2020, 01:01 PM   #315
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Yeah I don't know who keeps saying this crap...starwars OT fanboys?

go to disneyland or world...its packed. I keep hearing its a ghost town, I franking wish
I have yet to go and it be dead. I am forced to go almost once a year and we try to go at off peak times and it is still busy.

On that note frozen 2 has officially become highest grossing animated movie ever.

https://variety.com/2020/film/box-of...ce-1203456758/
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 02:19 PM   #316
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

What does everyone think the final numbers will be for Jumanji 3 and Frozen 2? Any chance Jumanji 3 gets to $300 mill and Frozen 2 to $500 mill?
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:08 PM   #317
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

With very little animated competition and awards season keeping it relevant, I think Frozen 2 could leg it to $500M.

Jumanji 2 has no shot at $300M at this point though. Too far away, and it’s got maybe one more good weekend in it this week before Dolittle takes its audience on the 17th.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 06:52 PM   #318
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
What does everyone think the final numbers will be for Jumanji 3 and Frozen 2? Any chance Jumanji 3 gets to $300 mill and Frozen 2 to $500 mill?
The box office is pretty wacky right now. All the major movies saw a huge drop off this monday. Well get a much better idea next weekend of where every movie stands.

Frozen 2 really doesn't have too far to go to reach that goal though. It could trickle past it with some decent legs over the next few weeks.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:07 PM   #319
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

So has anyone seen CATS yet?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 08:45 AM   #320
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
So has anyone seen CATS yet?
I'd say there's been at least a dozen people who've seen it.

Seriously though, at $95 million plus advertising, I was looking at whether this was the biggest flop of all time. Apparently Eddie Murphy's "The Adventures of Pluto Nash" is pretty tough to beat. $100 million budget and $7.1 million box office (international).