Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-20-2019, 03:47 PM   #1301
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yup, its literally a brain drain.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2019, 11:05 PM   #1302
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yes but there are advantages. It’s a short term pain for long term gain. Once they are industry they should stick around longer and because they come in skilled they bring a lot of assets to the table, particularly aircrew who cost a fortune to train.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:00 AM   #1303
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Glad we spent that money on those Aussie fighters to address the whole "fighter gap"

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/contra...ians-1.4738235
Hey, Brass knows where to place their priorities considering the current government.

https://nationalpost.com/news/trudeaus-new-plane-to-replace-damaged-can-force-one-could-be-fast-tracked-for-replacement-dnd

Quote:
The PM’s plane is part of a fleet of five Airbus 310-300s and it is expected to cost from $1 billion to nearly $5 billion to replace all the aging planes

Last edited by Cliche; 12-22-2019 at 11:56 PM.
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:13 AM   #1304
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Bleh

Last edited by Cliche; 12-22-2019 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Double post.
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 01:51 PM   #1305
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Serious questions around the Frigate replacements concerning their main armaments and ability to defend themselves from air attacks.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/fri...navy-1.5405054

Quote:
The Department of National Defence has faced some tough, pointed questions about whether it has chosen the right radar, main gun and close air defence systems for the navy's new frigates, which will soon hit the drawing board.

An unsolicited defence industry slide deck presentation, obtained by CBC News, questions each of those key components in the planned $60 billion modernization of the fleet.

It was circulated earlier this year and put in front of the senior federal officials in charge of the program.

Quote:
The briefing raises concerns about DND's choice of a main gun for the frigates — a 127 millimetre MK 45 described by the briefing as 30-year-old technology that will soon be obsolete and cannot fire precision-guided shells.

The briefing also singles out as inadequate the Sea Ceptor close air defence system, which is meant to shoot down incoming, ship-killing missiles.

Given the Canadian government's past missteps with military procurement — buying used equipment or opting for developmental systems that take years to get into service — a defence expert said the caution being expressed by the industry now is legitimate, but in some respects it's coming years too late.

So typical, with the boondoggle over the F-35's and this and his stolen honor, and lying about buying the F-18 Australia, he's just a major teeth grinder for me. Most incompetent idiot in MND history.

Old 12-23-2019, 01:59 PM   #1306
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Serious questions around the Frigate replacements concerning their main armaments and ability to defend themselves from air attacks.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/fri...navy-1.5405054

So typical, with the boondoggle over the F-35's and this and his stolen honor, and lying about buying the F-18 Australia, he's just a major teeth grinder for me. Most incompetent idiot in MND history.
The CBC article is awful. The CBC should have put a disclaimer at the top of its article:
"This article is based on a presentation provided by the non-compliant bidder.”
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 04:20 PM   #1307
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Further to my previous post, we can approach procurement of these capital projects in a few ways:

Safe buy = proven design
Proven design = old

New design = unproven
Unproven = high risk

Some will say we shouldn't buy something that is old technology, even though we know it works. Others will say that we shouldn't buy new technology because it's unproven and, thus, high risk.

Should we take risks? Sure. But we can responsibly manage them. Since we get the first ship in 2036, the new stuff will be standard. Better off having the first 5 be 'Mark 1" or "Block 1" designs, give them the leftovers and cheap tech with the idea that when the Block 2s (next 5) come out that we'll already have built-in upgrades. This is a responsible risk-managed approach to leverage newer technology into the project.

With respect to the technology identified in the presentation the CBC obtained:

1. 127mm gun is obsolete? How? Literally every Western navy has moved in this direction. The 127mm does have guided munitions. See Raytheon Excalibur NS. The 127mm gun is a massive step-up for the RCN.

2. CAMM (Sea Ceptor). Why is it inadequate? It's probably the best close in air defence system right now.

3. SPY-7. Sure, it's not yet in service, but SPY is. So if I'm in procurement, I'd take that risk.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 10:32 PM   #1308
sharkov
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Canada's next Frigate should at least get CAMM-ER otherwise it is kind of a down grade from what they currently have in therms of range
Old 01-14-2020, 02:38 PM   #1309
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/air-...-fit-1.4767052

Quote:
OTTAWA -- The federal government is planning to invest hundreds of millions of dollars more to ensure Canada's aging CF-18s can still fight over the coming decade while the country waits for long-overdue replacement jets.
The extra money follows a warning from the federal auditor general in late 2018 that Canada's fighter jets were at risk of being outmatched by more advanced adversaries due to a lack of combat upgrades since 2008.
Royal Canadian Air Force commander Lt.-Gen. Al Meinzinger estimates the added cost will be around $800 million, which is on top of the $3 billion the government has already set aside to extend the lives of the CF-18s and purchase 18 secondhand fighter jets from Australia.

Old 01-14-2020, 02:42 PM   #1310
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good lord.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2020, 02:43 PM   #1311
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sigh.

Seriously. Gripen. F-35. Just pick one. Why the hell do they make this so damn hard on themselves
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:08 PM   #1312
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
Further to my previous post, we can approach procurement of these capital projects in a few ways:

Safe buy = proven design
Proven design = old

New design = unproven
Unproven = high risk

Some will say we shouldn't buy something that is old technology, even though we know it works. Others will say that we shouldn't buy new technology because it's unproven and, thus, high risk.

Should we take risks? Sure. But we can responsibly manage them. Since we get the first ship in 2036, the new stuff will be standard. Better off having the first 5 be 'Mark 1" or "Block 1" designs, give them the leftovers and cheap tech with the idea that when the Block 2s (next 5) come out that we'll already have built-in upgrades. This is a responsible risk-managed approach to leverage newer technology into the project.

With respect to the technology identified in the presentation the CBC obtained:

1. 127mm gun is obsolete? How? Literally every Western navy has moved in this direction. The 127mm does have guided munitions. See Raytheon Excalibur NS. The 127mm gun is a massive step-up for the RCN.

2. CAMM (Sea Ceptor). Why is it inadequate? It's probably the best close in air defence system right now.

3. SPY-7. Sure, it's not yet in service, but SPY is. So if I'm in procurement, I'd take that risk.
Other than scaring off Somalian fishing boats what the hell does the 'main gun' get used for anyway?
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:25 AM   #1313
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Other than scaring off Somalian fishing boats what the hell does the 'main gun' get used for anyway?
1. Shore bombardment supporting amphibious assaults;
2. Air defence; and
3. Engaging ships.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:05 PM   #1314
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
1. Shore bombardment supporting amphibious assaults;
2. Air defence; and
3. Engaging ships.
I get 1 and 3 as their traditional roles but it would seem unlikely that any Canadian Frigate would ever do either, engaging ships other than Somalian pirates would presumably be conducted by ship to ship missiles at ranges far beyond a 127mm gun.

I didn't know you could use them in an AA capacity
Old 01-15-2020, 07:49 PM   #1315
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I get 1 and 3 as their traditional roles but it would seem unlikely that any Canadian Frigate would ever do either, engaging ships other than Somalian pirates would presumably be conducted by ship to ship missiles at ranges far beyond a 127mm gun.

I didn't know you could use them in an AA capacity
Canadian frigates are routinely attached to joint task forces and it is certainly possible they would be called upon to provide support in (1).

For (3):

gun ammo is considerably cheaper than missiles and a ship can carry considerably more bullets.

Missiles are susceptible to EW and decoys. It's easier for CIWS to target incoming missile threats. IE, CIWS would waste all of its ammo engaging a volley of bullets. CIWS could take out a few 127mm bullets, but the rest get through.

Bullets are more efficient taking on fast patrol boats in littoral areas. For example, the Persian Gulf. It isn't cost effective to use an anti-ship missile on a low value target like a gun boat.

Guns are more effective at close range because anti-ship missiles require a minimum distance of 5-10 km. The modern 127mm guns have ranges from 30-120 km which means you can engage at a standoff range without using a very limited supply of cruise missiles.

You need a gun for warning shots.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2020, 11:24 PM   #1316
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Canadian frigates are routinely attached to joint task forces and it is certainly possible they would be called upon to provide support in (1).

For (3):

gun ammo is considerably cheaper than missiles and a ship can carry considerably more bullets.

Missiles are susceptible to EW and decoys. It's easier for CIWS to target incoming missile threats. IE, CIWS would waste all of its ammo engaging a volley of bullets. CIWS could take out a few 127mm bullets, but the rest get through.

Bullets are more efficient taking on fast patrol boats in littoral areas. For example, the Persian Gulf. It isn't cost effective to use an anti-ship missile on a low value target like a gun boat.

Guns are more effective at close range because anti-ship missiles require a minimum distance of 5-10 km. The modern 127mm guns have ranges from 30-120 km which means you can engage at a standoff range without using a very limited supply of cruise missiles.

good to know, I always assumed the main gun had tended to be more an archaic tradition these days
Old 01-16-2020, 09:49 AM   #1317
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

my mind went right to this:

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2020, 10:37 AM   #1318
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...tvia-operation

Local story, Calgary Highlanders heading to Latvia to provide Mortar capabilities, something which the Infantry oddly lost the arty for a while.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 09:34 AM   #1319
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/sub...navy-1.5458632

Quote:
All four of Canada's submarines were tied up last year for repairs and maintenance — news that has the opposition Conservatives questioning whether the Liberal government can keep the second-hand fleet afloat for another two decades.

In response to a written question before Parliament, the Department of National Defence said the boats "spent zero days at sea" in 2019, but three of the four would return to service at some point this year.

Over the year, HMCS Victoria, HMCS Windsor, HMCS Chicoutimi and HMCS Corner Brook were in various stages of repair and maintenance. They also went into drydock for long-term upgrades meant to ensure the submarines remain operational until the end of the next decade.

Old 02-11-2020, 09:52 AM   #1320
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can we just use those things for target practice and move one?

I can't imagine anyone feels the money spent on those subs was money well spent. Have they been even remotely useful?
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote