Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-04-2020, 02:00 PM   #301
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Leafs recently wanted Jankowski.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 02:18 PM   #302
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
The Leafs recently wanted Jankowski.
Don’t confuse wanted with being offered.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:24 PM   #303
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

semantics. He'd be a Leaf if Kadri had waived his NTC.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 02:37 PM   #304
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Don’t confuse wanted with being offered.
No way to prove want, but I think that deal was done, so they certainly "took" Jankowski over just offered.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 02:54 PM   #305
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

People seem to forget that Jankowski took the college route to the NHL, and (I believe) finished his degree. In terms of development, you can take his age and minus 2 years because of the path he chose.

Saying that, he might just be an (age adjusted) 23 year old plugger.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:03 AM   #306
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sad to see Frolik go as he was a great soldier for the team and endured being bounced around the lineup. Unfortunately when your game is based around your IQ with marginal skating, the moment you lose just a step everything falls apart and that seems to be what happened to Frolik. That lost step compounded into him being in situations he had never been in before and couldn't process. All those unforced stick fouls - and there were so freaking many - were plays of desperate recovery after he got to spot a half-step slower than his brain was used to and he panicked.

The odd thing is Frolik is known as an absolute unit physically. I know his workouts were almost exclusively off-ice in the summers, but I wonder if there wasn't quite enough focus on fast-twitch movements or if he's just genetically predisposed to lose them rapidly. Regardless, his fall was tough to watch as he never cheated on effort or for offense.

Hopefully he can refresh his career and grind out a couple more seasons in the league, but the Flames certainly moved on at the right time.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 11:36 PM   #307
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

12 games, 1 goal, 1 assist, minus 3 for Buffalo. Turns 32 next week, seems unlikely to get faster regardless of training. Probably not long for the NHL at that rate, regardless of intangibles.

Seems likely we’ll look back at it as a pretty good trade.

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flashpoint For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 11:40 PM   #308
FlamesFanInEdmonton
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Thanks for bumping this and making me think at first glance we had a trade...a new one that is.

Last edited by FlamesFanInEdmonton; 02-07-2020 at 11:43 PM.
FlamesFanInEdmonton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to FlamesFanInEdmonton For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2020, 12:19 AM   #309
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint View Post
12 games, 1 goal, 1 assist, minus 3 for Buffalo. Turns 32 next week, seems unlikely to get faster regardless of training. Probably not long for the NHL at that rate, regardless of intangibles.

Seems likely we’ll look back at it as a pretty good trade.

Well, in fairness, how is Buffalo doing on the whole?

Seriously, the guy is .5 ppg for how many years, and you are claiming victory after 11 games on one of the few teams that’s actually more of a mess than the Flames?

(There are many teams below the Flames but the Flames are a bubble team with a Western conf winning roster)
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:58 AM   #310
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Frolik was a good soldier and one of Tre's best UFA signings. I wish him all the best, and if he's not ripping it up with the Sabres it doesn't change much. Just a good solid player getting older. I think his buddy that wears #11 probably misses him a bit right now.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:12 AM   #311
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
People seem to forget that Jankowski took the college route to the NHL, and (I believe) finished his degree. In terms of development, you can take his age and minus 2 years because of the path he chose.

Saying that, he might just be an (age adjusted) 23 year old plugger.
I legit do not think Jankowski is an NHL player anymore. No team is trading for him. If he was waived, he goes through. In fact if he gets waived and picked up, that’s a salary cap win right there. Buddy Robinson came up and showed more heart speed and guts than about 95% of Jankowski’s season thus far. He is terrible, our worst player, and I estimate that there are quite a few players in the AHL that- if given the chance- would outperform him. I don’t think he has the offensive or defensive awareness, speed, heart, definitely doesn’t have any tenacity... like. He brings zero. Absolutely zero. Every time he is on the ice I am confused as to why.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2020, 07:16 AM   #312
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
Frolik was a good soldier and one of Tre's best UFA signings. I wish him all the best, and if he's not ripping it up with the Sabres it doesn't change much. Just a good solid player getting older. I think his buddy that wears #11 probably misses him a bit right now.
I would be happy to see them reunited in Buffalo.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2020, 10:03 AM   #313
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

When Tre said that he was going to use the cap flexibility that this trade gave him, I'm starting to hope that he uses the cap space to keep half of the salaries of each UFA that he trades at the deadline.

Hamonic might fetch a second.
Hamonic with 50% retained could fetch a first.
Ect.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:12 AM   #314
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Well, in fairness, how is Buffalo doing on the whole?

Seriously, the guy is .5 ppg for how many years, and you are claiming victory after 11 games on one of the few teams that’s actually more of a mess than the Flames?

(There are many teams below the Flames but the Flames are a bubble team with a Western conf winning roster)
It ends fast for some players and he started declining rapidly at 30. It's not much of a victory getting a 4th round pick but it's a good example of getting draft picks for a declining asset. If Treliving truly wants to turn this franchise into a contender he would do the same for Hamonic and Brodie at the deadline as they could bring back assets that could really help this organization in the future.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2020, 10:19 AM   #315
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
When Tre said that he was going to use the cap flexibility that this trade gave him, I'm starting to hope that he uses the cap space to keep half of the salaries of each UFA that he trades at the deadline.

Ect.
I do like this idea but don't know how much it will be worth. By the deadline, Hamonic's remaining cap hit will be about $800K, so 50% worth $400K.

That might make a difference to some teams that haven't been accruing much space, but it could be a small group.

You really want to have an impact? Take on a bad contract beyond this year. Look at how Carolina scored with taking on Marleau for a year but no way I see Flames willing to do that. We have enough dead weight as it is.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:25 AM   #316
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post

You really want to have an impact? Take on a bad contract beyond this year. Look at how Carolina scored with taking on Marleau for a year but no way I see Flames willing to do that. We have enough dead weight as it is.
More annoying close but no cigar stories for Treliving but he tried that early in his start here. Mike Ribeiro spring to mind, Cam Ward might've been another. Those deals are so rare regardless.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:32 AM   #317
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
More annoying close but no cigar stories for Treliving but he tried that early in his start here. Mike Ribeiro spring to mind, Cam Ward might've been another. Those deals are so rare regardless.
Instead we took on dead weight of our own volition with guys like Brouwer, Stone and Neal. Getting nothing in return.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:02 PM   #318
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Instead we took on dead weight of our own volition with guys like Brouwer, Stone and Neal. Getting nothing in return.
Lol, yeah
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:26 PM   #319
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I do like this idea but don't know how much it will be worth. By the deadline, Hamonic's remaining cap hit will be about $800K, so 50% worth $400K.

That might make a difference to some teams that haven't been accruing much space, but it could be a small group.

It's really hard to tell just from looking at capfriendly where teams stand....everything is relative by the deadline. Looking back to the start of the year, it seemed more teams were close to the cap than ever before. I'm sure many/most teams could make trades work w/o retention, but it is certainly a nice option that might help get a deal over the finish line.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:15 PM   #320
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:

Ect.
Hamonic is much more likely too be extended than dealt.

They are apparently in talks and have been for some time.

Brodie would have been the guy dealt, but that is off the table at this point with the injuries.