Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2019, 09:03 AM   #101
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
All of the Peters=Babcock talk worries me. If you look around the team at the players who are having no fun out there, it's Johnny, Frolik and now maybe Gio. I really hope that mind games arn't being played.

There was always this underlying suggestion that there was a fallout between players leading to a lack of chemistry. Maybe it's something else.

I don't want to start a conspiracy theory, but... well, there's one.

If Peters is the cause of the Flames woes and ends up getting turfed, then Treliving has to go too. The guy is one of the worst UFA signers I've ever seen and he sucks at picking coaches, which are some pretty crucial elements that a GM needs to be good at
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2019, 09:09 AM   #102
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

If Treliving were to get to fire / hire another coach about all I can see saving his job is that ownership must love him. He got the extension, even after all of these FA signings, buyouts etc. They must like how he runs the team, especially his strongest suit which is RFA contracts.

I like him, and can't see him getting fired at this point regardless of any coaching changes. But it would be weird.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:37 AM   #103
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe asshat is particularly a fit with hockey culture? It is also generally about results NOW and perhaps that is the personality type where you see the most short-term gain. And also why you have to fire them every 3 years. I am not sure. In general, where you have to herd 20-50 disparate individuals, perhaps you have to be an asshat to get everybody in line?

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:39 AM   #104
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

NHL coaches, usually making far less than the players they coach, may also feel that they need to establish as much dominance as they can get away with to control the room, and thus the team? Doesn't make it right but just a theory.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 09:53 AM   #105
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
What is about most coaches (particularly NHL/hockey generally) that the default position of their personality is ###hole?

Were they insecure as kids, bullied, unsuccessful? For the most part these guys strike me as inarticulate, certainly not very bright.

What is with the constant f-bomb dropping bully type (see for eg. the HBO series Road to the Winter Classic where Bruce Boudreau could not string a sentence together unless it was full of expletives)?

Does being a ####head motivate players to excel? Because if I had a boss like that I would be out of here before the end of the day.
By all accounts this was not Gulutzan’s personality and that guy was run out of town by Flames fans.

But I hear you. It’s hard to be impressed by many of these guys and I suspect we will see the prototypical coach and GM evolve over time. I feel like it’s happening in other sports.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:04 PM   #106
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Gulutzan was fired for his lack of results, it wasn't because the fans ran him out of town.

His strategy flat-out didn't work. The flames out-shot opponents almost nightly but the quality of the chances were poor.
I never saw any indication of the players quitting on him, the effort did seem to be there.
Red_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote