Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-19-2023, 07:24 PM   #801
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
There recent MCU movies just seen too bland for me to see in the theatres. It also seems like the movies aren't comic book-ey enough for me. They seem to much like generic action movies now.

That being said, I'm paying for Disney Plus, and might not do that if they stopped making these movies. Disney walks away with more money, with me paying for the subscription vs seeing 3-4 Disney movies in theaters a year.

The public overall does have an appetite for some superhero movies. Batman and Spiderverse. That helped those movies succeed wasn't just that they were good but also that they seemed to have a more directed audience. Batman is a darker adult oriented film. Spiderverse was more child friendly. The MCU is going too generic and too wide in their intended appeal. I'm not taking about the marvels specifically. For example, Ant-Man was just too safe to be any good.
I liked the first one, the second one? Okay...thats a stretch. The third one sucked out loud I couldnt imagine seeing that in Theaters.

I think my least favourite Marvel film is still Black Panther 2. Thats right. That movie sucked more than Eternals!

I cant even remember how long it took me to slog through that cinematic tragedy.

I said it about 'Black Panther' that it felt like it was made by someone who wanted to honour African culture who had never been to Africa, never met an African and knew nothing about African culture.

Black Panther 2? That same guy met some other clown who has never been to Mexico but was enthralled by it and they decided to make a movie together about things they dont actually know anything about.

I hadnt been that enamored with the concept of improvised suicide since Aquaman.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2023, 07:25 PM   #802
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda;8893650[B
]Last MCU movie we went to the theater for was Spider-Man 3[/B], every one since then has gotten progressively worse and not worth paying theater prices for (save GOTG3, that was surprisingly good). Maybe Kevin Feige has just run his course, everything post Endgame is just so bland and way too safe. Marvel is terrified of taking risks anymore
Oh they took some risks for Spider-Man 3...that they did.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 12-03-2023, 03:23 PM   #803
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hadn't been paying much attention to The Marvels box office after opening weekend. I guess it didn't get any better for the movie...

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/marvels-en...193907766.html

Quote:
After four weeks on the big screen, the comic book tentpole is running out of steam with $80 million in North America and $197 million globally. There would typically be optimism that attendance could rebound over the busy holiday season, but Disney apparently doesn’t expect that to be the case. The studio wrote on Sunday in a note to press, “With ‘The Marvels’ box office now winding down, we will stop weekend reporting of international/global grosses on this title.”
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 09:41 AM   #804
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who had The Flash beating The Marvels at the box office this year? What a terrible year for superhero movies at the box office.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 09:48 AM   #805
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Who had The Flash beating The Marvels at the box office this year? What a terrible year for superhero movies at the box office.
I'm sure somebody did, but not on the back of both movies being bombs, lol.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 10:10 AM   #806
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's pretty jarring to look at Disney's performance overall in 2019 vs 2023.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/year/2...n=totalGrosses

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/year/2...n=totalGrosses

All through the 2010s, Disney dominated the top end of the box office, and now they're just another studio.

They used to be geniuses in not over-exposing their IP, and making their releases a big event. Now, they've over saturated all their IP including Marvel, Star Wars, Pixar, Disney classics, etc to the point of absurdity almost. It's hard to see how they can dig out of this hole, especially with their cable TV channels in freefall.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 10:13 AM   #807
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Disney+ is a huge factor in the decline of Disneys box office dominance. They are releases their movies too quickly to Disney+ that families figure they could save money and just wait to see it at home. Before you had to see it in theaters or wait months to watch at home, now it's like 4 weeks between when a film leaves theaters and when it's streaming.
Old 12-04-2023, 02:40 PM   #808
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's all James Gunn's fault. Taking 3rd rate heroes and villains into Guardians and the Galaxay and being profitable.

Just get rid of all these deadbeat characters. As soon as Disney bought Fox they should have just cancelled all these crappy movies and characters and brought X-Men and the Fantastic Four into Secret Wars movie ASAP.

Like who cares about Captain Marvel, Ms Marvel, Captain Marvel. Or that they made Kang into one of the major villains! lol Kang is lame-o

If Sony was smart they should rent Spiderman to Discovery and do a team up there! Black costume Spider-man swinging around Gotham would be great!
Old 12-04-2023, 09:44 PM   #809
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I think Disney+ is a huge factor in the decline of Disneys box office dominance. They are releases their movies too quickly to Disney+ that families figure they could save money and just wait to see it at home. Before you had to see it in theaters or wait months to watch at home, now it's like 4 weeks between when a film leaves theaters and when it's streaming.
Maybe this is what Disney tells themselves but the only reason is their moves are trash.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 04:15 PM   #810
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Trolls 3 passed The Marvels this weekend and is still making money. That's got to be pretty embarrassing for Disney.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 04:26 PM   #811
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

every genre eventually fades, I suspect the public is just bored with endless superhero films and they will disappear for a decade or so
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2023, 03:00 PM   #812
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Trolls 3 passed The Marvels this weekend and is still making money. That's got to be pretty embarrassing for Disney.

It should break $200 million this week? It has not chance to beat "the Flash". It's probably looking at a loss of $200 million plus whatever they spent on marketing.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2023, 03:54 PM   #813
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I also think their low-quality Disney + series hurt the brand. There is too much content out there for people to care.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 10:39 AM   #814
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

No wonder WB is going bankrupt

https://twitter.com/user/status/1738601186570195316
Old 12-23-2023, 02:53 PM   #815
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wow...I wonder who could have seen that coming that doesnt include 'practically everyone.'

The really sad part in my strange brain is that I wouldnt be averse to a studio like WB going bankrupt. Now...I dont think they will, they're essentially 'too big to fail.'

But it would be interesting if that would leave a vacuum for numerous smaller studios to enter and really change the landscape.

But realistically some other giant studio or conglomerate would purchase their properties and IP and slide right into the void and nothing interesting would happen and nothing would change.

Old 03-01-2024, 09:30 AM   #816
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dune 2 with a fantastic start at the box office

https://twitter.com/user/status/1763597259726340342
Old 03-01-2024, 09:35 AM   #817
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Already have tickets to see it today after work, very well might hit it again on Sun.
Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2024, 09:36 AM   #818
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Dune 2 with a fantastic start at the box office

https://twitter.com/user/status/1763597259726340342
Its like...you kind of feel that they should have been more patient, like Top Gun 2 and not done the theatrical and streaming simultaneous release of Dune.

Just think of the money left on the table...

That movie is so, so good.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2024, 11:03 AM   #819
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dune 2 continues to crush it at the box office, should have no issues getting Dune 3 greenlit

https://twitter.com/user/status/1766868019173535849
Old 03-11-2024, 01:31 PM   #820
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Dune 2 continues to crush it at the box office, should have no issues getting Dune 3 greenlit

https://twitter.com/user/status/1766868019173535849
It'll have great legs too, because the run time is so long. At almost 3 hours, they can only accommodate so many screenings per day.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote