Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should CP allow ticket sales over face value?
Yes, allow over face value 260 46.35%
No, face value should be the max on CP 301 53.65%
Voters: 561. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-22-2019, 08:24 PM   #81
It's a great day 4 hockey
Backup Goalie

Exp:

My biggest concern is that by allowing free market that means everyone. I would have no problem with season ticket holders selling there seats for any price they want. Open it up to free enterprise and the next you know you'll have groups like the bronco's guy and his posse scrounging around.

I think of CP as a part of the Flame's community. A community that should help those individuals that support the team. It should not help those try to intimidate others from selling in their "area".

Tight restrictions as to who can sell for what amount is slippery slope. If can be done on the basis of season ticket holders that are contributing members to CP then yes I'm all for them setting any price they want. Otherwise I'm a strong no.
It's a great day 4 hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:33 PM   #82
ST20
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

There's a lot of talk about voting yes in regards to:
1. Hurting the community... How? Most of us come on this site to read the fire and ice forum for news (thanks sure loss), game talks, post game talks, and the ATL (thanks Gaskal) or many of the other forums. How is that hurt by more tickets available for purchase? I get the feeling that scalpers aren't here to contribute to the threads on this site we all love discussing.
2. It raises prices... Again how? The tickets you buy on this site aren't lower than other places aside from fees and taxes. Guess what if you got a really good deal under "face" on this site you could've gotten the same on TM or StubHub. All this does is limit the number of tickets on the site. I wish you were stupid enough to buy my tickets at a higher price than you could've gotten on TM or StubHub.
3. This will turn CP into Kijiji 2.0... what does this even mean? Is anything other than ticket exchange impacted? If it's about ticket exchange are you worried about people ripping you off?!? If you are just look at their posting history and age of account. You can tell who the season ticket holders are.

This honestly baffles me. If anyone can explain why more tickets for a hockey community is a bad thing I'm all ears. Also please logically explain how ticket prices will rise because of this. Multiple posters have already explained why they will not and I haven't seen one person explain why it will.

This is honestly confusing to me and would love to hear someone explain their reasons rather than just say I don't like scalpers, I don't think people should earn a profit (but apparently they should subsidize you), and this will ruin the spirit of CP without replying with any justification.

Sorry for the Grammer typing this on my phone and am too lazy to go back to properly edit.

Last edited by ST20; 03-22-2019 at 08:36 PM. Reason: I'm apparently terrible at writing.
ST20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:38 PM   #83
ST20
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by It's a great day 4 hockey View Post
My biggest concern is that by allowing free market that means everyone. I would have no problem with season ticket holders selling there seats for any price they want. Open it up to free enterprise and the next you know you'll have groups like the bronco's guy and his posse scrounging around.

I think of CP as a part of the Flame's community. A community that should help those individuals that support the team. It should not help those try to intimidate others from selling in their "area".

Tight restrictions as to who can sell for what amount is slippery slope. If can be done on the basis of season ticket holders that are contributing members to CP then yes I'm all for them setting any price they want. Otherwise I'm a strong no.
Is there a way CP can verify who's an actual season ticket holder?
ST20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:47 PM   #84
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

To those suggesting that selling over face is somehow amoral or unethical, how do you feel when tickets are sold below face? Is that okay? Someone pays, for example, $100 per game for their seats and for one game they have to sell them for $50. No one has a problem with that. But on another game, if they can get $150, that's somehow wrong? Hypocritical. Those events are simply mirrors of each other and we all have to accept both sides.

And again, tickets sold on CP would avoid the huge markup that exchanges slap on. Everybody wins.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 08:51 PM   #85
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

ST20 - not sure how to beat explain the sentiment I think people have, but will have a go.
Other ticket resale sites are more anonymous. Less personal interaction in the transaction, usually the site processes payment and the tix are downloaded.
Sure, if you let any pricing go on CP, you can mutually agree on a price in a transaction but it doesn’t mean that everyone is satisfied with the resultant price. You start to get in to the area where you could have uncapped gouging, amongst people who can be known to one another, who have to interact to arrange the logistics of payment and delivery and it is not anonymous.

To me, the fees with other sites provide some logistic handling, anonymity, guarantee, etc. That’s not what CP is to me, it’s more of a community than a marketplace.

Does that make sense?

Plenty of places on line to go make profit if you want it that badly. CP seems more like a place for a transaction involving a degree of gentlemen’s agreement
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:52 PM   #86
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Keep it the same as it is now, why change, there are lots of places that they could sell higher if they want to - this shouldnt be one of them.

not every STH sells every seat at a loss, so that argument is pointless to me - they knew what they were getting into when they bought ST.
The Following User Says Thank You to ricosuave For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 08:56 PM   #87
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
ST20 - not sure how to beat explain the sentiment I think people have, but will have a go.
Other ticket resale sites are more anonymous. Less personal interaction in the transaction, usually the site processes payment and the tix are downloaded.
Sure, if you let any pricing go on CP, you can mutually agree on a price in a transaction but it doesn’t mean that everyone is satisfied with the resultant price. You start to get in to the area where you could have uncapped gouging, amongst people who can be known to one another, who have to interact to arrange the logistics of payment and delivery and it is not anonymous.

To me, the fees with other sites provide some logistic handling, anonymity, guarantee, etc. That’s not what CP is to me, it’s more of a community than a marketplace.

Does that make sense?

Plenty of places on line to go make profit if you want it that badly. CP seems more like a place for a transaction involving a degree of gentlemen’s agreement
How would there be gouging? It takes two parties to agree on a price. And there are public markets out there like Ticketmaster and Stubhub to provide relevant context.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 08:59 PM   #88
Vansmack
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If you are going to regulate the high end of the sales, then you should regulate the low end..
So if and only if someone will pay exactly face value should the transaction be permitted.

Honestly, Imo this is an absurd poll and the votes will be disproportionate. You might as well scrap the buy/sell section if you intend to regulate sale price.

Full disclosure, I am no longer a STHer
Vansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:03 PM   #89
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
How would there be gouging? It takes two parties to agree on a price. And there are public markets out there like Ticketmaster and Stubhub to provide relevant context.
I already said people agree on a price. The market value may allow what I call gouging, you can call it private profiteering, I don’t care. The more above face value, the more of what I was calling gouging.

In the short term, you can agree to it. ‘ Maybe soon after, you regret it. Big boy pants, I know. Don’t really care.

Ticketmaster and Stubhub? Anonymous markets. Go sell over face value there.

Let me put it another way. Anybody like the Broncos guy?
Old 03-22-2019, 09:05 PM   #90
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vansmack View Post
If you are going to regulate the high end of the sales, then you should regulate the low end..
So if and only if someone will pay exactly face value should the transaction be permitted.

Honestly, Imo this is an absurd poll and the votes will be disproportionate. You might as well scrap the buy/sell section if you intend to regulate sale price.

Full disclosure, I am no longer a STHer
Force the STH who pays, what, 65 cents on the dollar to charge face value and make a profit? That’s even more absurd
Old 03-22-2019, 09:10 PM   #91
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

No. If you allow greater than face value it will just invite a flood of scalpers and Hail Mary fishing threads.

There are many places to buy and sell tickets above face value. There is no need turn this into one. This is a community first and I like being able to offload tickets to and buy tickets from its members without having to wade through a sea of crap.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 09:34 PM   #92
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST20 View Post
Is there a way CP can verify who's an actual season ticket holder?
I think that's asking a lot for a site run by volunteers that doesn't take fees. On the other hand, you don't have to be a top tier detective to figure it out.

I sell maybe a dozen games on CP a year. Always the same seats. Probably checks out...

You can see all of someone's ads by clicking on their user name, then "statistics" then "view all threads started by user".

You can also see if someone only posts in the ticket exchange or is a regular active user of the site. Probably nobody would invest 10+ years and thousands of posts to scam someone of a few hundred dollars...
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 09:38 PM   #93
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

If bronco coat guy sets up shop in the ticket forum I'm out.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 09:41 PM   #94
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Force the STH who pays, what, 65 cents on the dollar to charge face value and make a profit? That’s even more absurd
How about ban the aggressive lowballers who want $85 cost seats for $40.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:45 PM   #95
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
The Mod Team would like your opinion. As the playoffs are just around the corner, the issue of ticket sales and scalping comes up. For a few years now, scalping is "not illegal" in Alberta. However on CP we have still not been permitting it. That is the question we have for our members, what would you like to see? Should we allow ticket sales over face value? Or should we keep things the way they are?

Some people have said they like the connection they have with other CPers; and it makes them feel a little more secure about buying from here. They are concerned that allowing over face value sales will diminish that. On the flip side, many CPers will sell their premium games on other websites; as they know they can sell for above face value.

How do you feel?
I would ask a simple question to answer your question.

When the rule was established originally, what was the reasoning? Did something change that makes that reason irrelevant now?

Or is this all just a result of the best season the club has had in 30 years?

Answer those and you have your solution IMO.

I say that as someone who cares not either way and a hard proponent of something is worth what someone is willing to pay for it.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:48 PM   #96
RT14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don’t have an issue with people selling their tickets for above face value on other sites that allow it, but I don’t see why this site needs to go down that route (although I wouldn’t be opposed to a cap of 10% above face for the playoffs, or something similar).

The rule tends to promote a nice, manageable, and generally more trustworthy group of sellers and buyers as the majority would be transactions between people that care how their name, or username in this case, is viewed.

Nothing stopping those who want to profit largely from selling them elsewhere.
RT14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:10 PM   #97
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The benefit of track record is completely being ignored. Season ticket holders are going to sell on Kijiji and buyers need to figure out if they can trust the buyers. Or then they need to pay max fees for the security. Allowing free market on CP allows active members to check into sellers and buyers history to determine if they can trust them. If you're a buyer, I just don't know why you wouldn't want to have a public track record of the guy selling you tickets. Like I said earlier, I don't care either way but I think it's mutually beneficial to CP members whether they are buying or selling.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
theslymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:19 PM   #98
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Forgot to add, if I want to sell my autographed Brendan Morrison Flames jersey (yes I actually do have one) for $1000, I am well within my rights to do so. If someone wants to pay it because they want it that bad, then we are both happy. Where is the issue?

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
theslymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:19 PM   #99
Vansmack
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
It is not any more or any less absurd and that was kind of the point.
Vansmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:22 PM   #100
Bezer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I voted incorrectly. I wanted face value, max. I don't want dirt bags scalping tickets to real fans.
Bezer is offline   Reply With Quote