Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should CP allow ticket sales over face value?
Yes, allow over face value 260 46.35%
No, face value should be the max on CP 301 53.65%
Voters: 561. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-22-2019, 05:16 PM   #61
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKflames View Post
I feel the same way about this as I do about tickets for music concerts, plays, comedy shows and other sports events, the ticket has a face value and that is what it should be sold for, no one should be profiteering from sellling on a ticket. I don't care about market value, the ticket price is the price, you should not be profiteering from something you chose to pay for previously, if you can't attend then don't buy a ticket.
Sorry for the rant but I have missed out on attending too many events due to tickets selling out before they even go on sale to see them at an inflated price 10 minutes later.
Just for the record I am not in a position to buy playoff tickets, I live alittle too far.

Edit: sorry this came over all snappy but not my intention. The whole reselling of tickets is a personal hate but I don't mean to speak badly of anyone on CP.
All that the end result will be is the CPers who cannot go to a playoff game willing to sell their ticket will sell it on one of the scalping sites for max value instead of selling it here and giving guys like you a CP discount which though may be a bit more than face value will still be much better than the outrageous price asked on those sites. The tickets are high in demand come playoff time and the ticket holder payed a premium probably in the form of season tickets to get access to those. I think if you put the restriction as face value you are going to end up with a lot of CPers looking to go to the game either not being able to go because nobody is selling face value playoff tickets or they will spend four times as much on a scalper site.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 05:16 PM   #62
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Voted no. Anyone on the Power Ring has to offer a discount to CP members so why should someone selling tickets get over and above the face value when they are paying STH prices.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:23 PM   #63
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm a potential buyer, not a seller. I'd prefer the option that increases the number of willing CP sellers, so vote over-face. Better a CPer gets my money than a reselling website. Just find some appropriate ways to restrict the professionals.
Cube Inmate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Cube Inmate For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 05:24 PM   #64
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
All that the end result will be is the CPers who cannot go to a playoff game willing to sell their ticket will sell it on one of the scalping sites for max value instead of selling it here and giving guys like you a CP discount which though may be a bit more than face value will still be much better than the outrageous price asked on those sites. The tickets are high in demand come playoff time and the ticket holder payed a premium probably in the form of season tickets to get access to those. I think if you put the restriction as face value you are going to end up with a lot of CPers looking to go to the game either not being able to go because nobody is selling face value playoff tickets or they will spend four times as much on a scalper site.
This is exactly what has and will continue to happen. If the limit is set at face value, then there just wont be playoff tickets available on CP.
theslymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theslymonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 05:42 PM   #65
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
This is exactly what has and will continue to happen. If the limit is set at face value, then there just wont be playoff tickets available on CP.
Why not? STH holders still buy playoff tix for below face value, no? They make a profit at face value.

Plus, playoff tickets are not exactly cheap, especially as the rounds go by.

My personal opinion is to leave the scalping to other sites. Keep CP nice.

Also as a former STH holder, it’s a pain in the ass to ask a high price, check to see if it sells, adjust the price, etc. It’s a pain in the ass as a buyer when people change their minds. I like the degree of certainty in knowing what you are looking at here.

Last edited by DeluxeMoustache; 03-22-2019 at 05:45 PM.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 05:57 PM   #66
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, closest CP poll ever?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:05 PM   #67
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
By these comments I think it should be done again with the differences of regular season/playoff games
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:11 PM   #68
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Perfectly balanced as all things should be.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:12 PM   #69
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m pro scalping.

Even during good seasons no one lines up for the Coyotes on Tuesday night so getting season ticket holder cost was always difficult for those games. You also get low balled by people and once had someone bail on me at the last minute.

So while the buyers here are significantly better than Kijiji the community aspect that people expect of sellers is not always reflected in the buyers.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:13 PM   #70
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Why not? STH holders still buy playoff tix for below face value, no? They make a profit at face value.

Plus, playoff tickets are not exactly cheap, especially as the rounds go by.

My personal opinion is to leave the scalping to other sites. Keep CP nice.

Also as a former STH holder, it’s a pain in the ass to ask a high price, check to see if it sells, adjust the price, etc. It’s a pain in the ass as a buyer when people change their minds. I like the degree of certainty in knowing what you are looking at here.
Its just the way it is for value. This poll really should be wether buyers want the option to buy tickets at inflated values or not. Because the market dictates the price and it's not face value. Approximately 3000-5000 tickets available per game in a city of over 1 million people. Demand is crazy high.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2019, 06:14 PM   #71
Blankcanvas
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Interesting debate and I can see both sides. This is only my second year as a STH and have sold a few games on CP and on other sites (most recently FansFirst).

I'm OK with the current rules for the regular season but voted to allow over face value due to the playoffs. I will be selling some playoff games and if I can easily get more than face value on other sites then I will. I would prefer to sell on CP as I know it is a loyal and trustworthy fanbase.
Blankcanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blankcanvas For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 06:17 PM   #72
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

This is a forum for fans to encourage one another to support the team as best we can. Inflated ticket prices don't do that. I'm OK with allowing posters to sell for up to face value, but I don't want for-profit enterprises to start posting here just to use CP as a fee- and tax-free host for their operations, allowing them to undercut other sellers by avoiding the expenses associated with listing tickets with dedicated resale services. I can see that STHs may be more likely to not list tickets on CP if they can get more elsewhere, but I guess they have to decide whether the extra money they get selling elsewhere is worth the fees and taxes and having the knowledge that they may have sold tickets to someone who is going to wear a McDavid jersey just to troll the Flames' fans.

Just for full disclosure, I have purchased quite a number of tickets on CP, but am not a season ticket holder (I hold Stamps season tickets, however, but just can't attend enough Flames games to make season tickets work). Most of the tickets I have purchased have been at or slightly below STH price, although I did make a last-minute offer to one seller who was requesting offers for PL seats.

Last edited by Macindoc; 03-22-2019 at 06:30 PM.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:36 PM   #73
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crazy close poll, especially given how many have voted. I was vote 101 for above face and there were 100 for below face.

I'd be even more in favor of trying it as experiment for this playoffs. Try it and see how it goes.

As a STH who will likely need to sell round one for scheduling reasons, I'd love to sell them for market price on CP. Sell to an actual hardcore fan who saves big on ticket master fees/up charges feels win-win to me.

But I'm not going to take way less money than market to do so, so barring a change in the rules mine will be on TM.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:04 PM   #74
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

Voted No.

I have 6 season seats. I sell lots of them due to logistics and also affordability. I sell lots on CP for face or usually less. And, I also "scalp" lots on Kijiji and Ticketmaster.

I always thought I'd support "free market" selling on CP, but as I thought about it just now, I changed my mind. There are ticket reselling sites for ticket profiting. CP is a hockey community, it isnt a marketplace. Let's keep it a community.

That means that I will scalp the highest demand games elsewhere and list the "average" game here. Even then, its not hard to find an ad of mine on Kijiji or text me to ask for another game not listed.

To be honest, with the Flames inflating values this season, I only got over face value twice (Pitt, Edm), and sold many at a loss below my cost both on CP and TicketExchange.

If the Mods decide to allow over face value, I'd suggest that a lot of forum seniority is needed before posting. We dont want CP to become Scalper central.

Last edited by Draug; 03-22-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Draug For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 07:09 PM   #75
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Almost ever game has multiple unsold ticket below face .

The only games that will be effected are very high demand games. These are the games people already sell on other sites so they already are not available on CP

So as a buyer nothing will change for the games that tickets are already available to you. However , you may get a chance at higher demand games for cheaper then other sites

I don’t know why anyone would vote no. Unless you think all the current sellers are going to collude to raise prices for all the games that are already difficult to sell at extreme discounts
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 07:33 PM   #76
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Market sets price. I don't want a bidding war, but will pay a premium for premium.

I've only ever been a buyer
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:48 PM   #77
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
Its just the way it is for value. This poll really should be wether buyers want the option to buy tickets at inflated values or not. Because the market dictates the price and it's not face value. Approximately 3000-5000 tickets available per game in a city of over 1 million people. Demand is crazy high.

Sure, no doubt what the market dictates, but you could argue the poll is more what you would like CP to be. A community or a marketplace.

There’s lots of stuff you can do and see on the internet that you don’t see on CP.

There are many options available for scalping. If someone wants to work for it, I prefer that they do it elsewhere
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 07:48 PM   #78
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Regular season, enforce face value. Playoffs, let the market dictate.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 07:57 PM   #79
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Sure, no doubt what the market dictates, but you could argue the poll is more what you would like CP to be. A community or a marketplace.

There’s lots of stuff you can do and see on the internet that you don’t see on CP.

There are many options available for scalping. If someone wants to work for it, I prefer that they do it elsewhere
Don't get me wrong I'm not advocating to have it one way or the other. I'm just saying that that's what's going to happen. If you don't allow all about face value for playoffs there just won't be tickets available on CP. I'm fine either way.

The Following User Says Thank You to theslymonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2019, 08:08 PM   #80
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

CP adds value for everyone involved by allowing CP buyers and seller to avoid the ridiculous fees on stub hub or ticketmaster.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RM14 For This Useful Post: