Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2022, 12:11 PM   #1001
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Shut up and let daddy dream his dreams.
It is unwise to have dreams of Star Trek while residing in what we affectionally refer to as 'The Kurtz-Verse.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 01:29 PM   #1002
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I thought it would have been funnier if she had no idea what she was doing rather than being instantly awesome at it.

The callback was great, but its been almost 40 years and that guy is still riding the Bus? Why did he move from San Francisco to LA? What have his employment prospects been like?

He's in his 60s now, maybe he's found love but lost it because he just couldnt shake his insane habit of carrying around a boombox when it is literally the most preposterous medium for consuming music pretty much anywhere, let alone on a bus.

Does he have mental health issues? Is he a Q? The unanswered questions abound! Inquiring minds demand answers!!

Overall though, that episode was ok. Just ok. A bit of a slide from prior episodes, but nowhere near the tire-fire of that other show.
If Guinan doesn't recognize Picard because Time's Arrow never happened because in the corrupted future, the Federation doesn't exist, then Star Trek IV also did not happen and therefore that punk on the bus would not have had a flashback to Spock pinching him.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2022, 01:31 PM   #1003
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Uh-oh, wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey things...
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 01:45 PM   #1004
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
If Guinan doesn't recognize Picard because Time's Arrow never happened because in the corrupted future, the Federation doesn't exist, then Star Trek IV also did not happen and therefore that punk on the bus would not have had a flashback to Spock pinching him.

I actually really want to see what Kirk was doing in the Confederation. I would think its pretty clear that Spock probably would have been not Spock.

In Shatner's really good mirror universe books, Kirk rose to become Emperor, and because of his paranoia had his crew executed, then Spock over threw him and reformed the Empire which lead to an uprising of the slave races like the Klingon's Cardassians and Bajorians who then basically laid earth to waste and enslaved humanity in revenge.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 03:50 PM   #1005
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Other than Kirk rising to emperor, that's the gist of the mirror universe stories on DS9: Mirror-Spock's less authoritarian, more pacifist policies (inspired by his meeting our 'prime' universe Kirk/McCoy/Scott/Uhura in the TOS episode "Mirror, Mirror") weakened the empire such that the Klingons and Cardassians—with the help of other peoples previously enslaved by humanity such as the Bajorans—overthrew the empire and in turn subjugated the human race (and, presumably, Vulcans too).
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 03:59 PM   #1006
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Goddammit....I hate time travel.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 03-29-2022, 04:34 PM   #1007
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Other than Kirk rising to emperor, that's the gist of the mirror universe stories on DS9: Mirror-Spock's less authoritarian, more pacifist policies (inspired by his meeting our 'prime' universe Kirk/McCoy/Scott/Uhura in the TOS episode "Mirror, Mirror") weakened the empire such that the Klingons and Cardassians—with the help of other peoples previously enslaved by humanity such as the Bajorans—overthrew the empire and in turn subjugated the human race (and, presumably, Vulcans too).

In the mirror books Tiberius (kirk) was considered to be the most brutal of Emperor's. Eventually Spocks faction over threw him and he vanished and Spock took over and weakened the Empire after he first invaded and conquered Bajor.

At the end of the uprising, a Klingon Cardassian fleet fought its way to earth and as a reprisal for generations of brutality evaporated all of the oceans of earth and burned off all the vegetation leaving Earth a cinder. The the Alliance became far more brutal then the Terran Empire ever was.

Old 03-31-2022, 04:40 PM   #1008
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright, alright, alright.....Star Trek: Picard....S2E5...

I have an entire seat, but will I only need the edge?

Old 03-31-2022, 05:39 PM   #1009
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The entire seat was necessary.

Old 03-31-2022, 07:34 PM   #1010
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

So similar to Guinan and “Time’s Arrow”, is this supposed to mean that “Deja Q” didn’t happen?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 09:14 PM   #1011
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Meh. Not bad. Didn’t progress the story much.
Old 03-31-2022, 09:25 PM   #1012
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

There were certain angles where Borg Queen looked eerily similar to Benedict Cumberbatch.
Old 03-31-2022, 09:35 PM   #1013
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
There were certain angles where Borg Queen looked eerily similar to Benedict Cumberbatch.
Maybe she becomes Kahn in the Abramsverse.
Old 03-31-2022, 09:40 PM   #1014
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I sure would like a Star Trek where they explore strange new worlds.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 10:51 PM   #1015
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn’t get the Soong thing. Was that in the future between 2024 and Picard’s time? The shields/curtains he was flying around with drones seemed a little too futuristic for 2024.
Old 03-31-2022, 10:53 PM   #1016
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I didn’t get the Soong thing. Was that in the future between 2024 and Picard’s time? The shields/curtains he was flying around with drones seemed a little too futuristic for 2024.
What? I have those in my backyard.

Really helps keep the Geese and transients away.

Old 04-01-2022, 06:26 AM   #1017
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, I was pleasantly surprised to see we will be going to Europa in 2 years. That's gonna be an awesome mission!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 08:07 AM   #1018
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

BTW I thought the Center Seat return episode last night was really good. It focused on the cast members, and also the guest start actors and their experience.

The Jeri Ryan interview was like the worst. She sadly said she couldn't view her time on Voyager with a lot of positives, because basically Kate Mulgew made her life a living hell for 4 years and sucked the joy out of being on a Star Trek show.

It was also nice to see interviews with Nimoy.

The interview parts with Andrew Robinson was really good, I was actually surprised to see Beltran appear and in the end talk positively about his time with Voyager. But he also hinted that when he was younger he liked to go the conventions because he got laid alot.

Old 04-01-2022, 09:02 AM   #1019
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
BTW I thought the Center Seat return episode last night was really good. It focused on the cast members, and also the guest start actors and their experience.

The Jeri Ryan interview was like the worst. She sadly said she couldn't view her time on Voyager with a lot of positives, because basically Kate Mulgew made her life a living hell for 4 years and sucked the joy out of being on a Star Trek show.

It was also nice to see interviews with Nimoy.

The interview parts with Andrew Robinson was really good, I was actually surprised to see Beltran appear and in the end talk positively about his time with Voyager. But he also hinted that when he was younger he liked to go the conventions because he got laid alot.
Beltran was one of the interviews I really liked, as you said, aside from the 'Conventions bit' *awkward collar tug* because I liked that he approached it from a perspective that most general people can relate to.

It was a good-paying, stable, relatively fun job that influenced his life for the better.

A steady, stable and enjoyable job in show business is hard to come by and it seems that he used that platform to become personally and financially stable and set himself up for a pretty good life.

So overall, it had a positive effect on his life and he embraced that.

It gets a little tiring hearing from Star Trek cast members who constantly crap on the show because its a pokey Sci-Fi show that doesnt carry a lot of prestige in Hollywood.

Like I care what Hollywood thinks.

Shatner did it and eventually came around when he realized that he wasnt going to be Hollywood royalty. Same with Nimoy who kept on trying to leave but constantly kept coming back for 'artistic reasons' although the steady paycheque and lack of other work probably played a significant factor as well.

Same with Crosby and on and on and on you can go. Constantly people bitching about the Golden Goose that butters their bread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2022, 09:16 AM   #1020
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The most interesting discussion to me was the Actor's doing guest spots and worrying about playing aliens, and then getting the makeup on and instantly knowing how to play the role because the makeup was so good.

I loved the Christopher Lloyd interviews, one of the Cast members called him a chameleon who did little prep but just got the role once he was in his Klingon makeup.

The story of the one guest star who walked off of the set pulling off the makeup because he couldn't deal with it, and then finding ears and face pieces all over the place.

Kirstie Alley looked completely stoned out of her mind in the interview. But it was good to finally get the story of her not returning from her.

It was too bad, Brookes didn't do an interview nor did Kate, but maybe she knew she would be portrayed negatively, nor George Takei.

I still have a mad crush on Chase, and she seems so grateful.