Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2008, 11:31 AM   #21
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I actually bought a 120Hz Toshiba TV a month and a half ago as I was putting my 720p Sony Bravia in a rental unit I was furnishing, and I returned it after a week and a half, I didn't think there was much of a benefit (I don't have a 24p source on that TV).

I ended up getting another Bravia.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:35 AM   #22
MaxPower
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton 3 View Post
Edit: Photon beat me to it!

A bit OT but I just finished a prolonged shopping experience for a new LCD TV and I really didn't think that 120 Hz is all its cracked up to be, at this stage anyhow.

Slightly smoother when it works, weird artifacts on the screen when it doesn't. Maybe the technology isn't quite mature yet...?
No, you're missing the point. It's not picture quality.... Bigger numbers (120 instead of 60 must twice as good!!) means manufacturers can charge more money.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:08 PM   #23
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
No, you're missing the point. It's not picture quality.... Bigger numbers (120 instead of 60 must twice as good!!) means manufacturers can charge more money.
So true that it's not even funny.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 01:14 PM   #24
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

The concept behind 120 Hz is good, but the average user wouldn't notice the difference, at least not enough to justify any sort of a premium. Same with the differences between 1080p and 1080i/720p; they are different, but the premium charged for something 95% of people won't notice unless they were told beforehand isn't worth it.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:07 PM   #25
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPower View Post
Haha, yep you're right.
automaton 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:38 PM   #26
Mayer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quick question regarding cable, not HDMI but speaker. I'm ordering a bunch off of Monoprice to set up my surround sound, but I've run into a problem. I heard a few comments on monoprice that when you order 100' of cable, it actually works out to 50' since there are two cables in speaker wire. Is this the case? I need to order it tonight but I'm not sure now how much I need to get. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am beginning to question the moral character of those who cheer for Vancouver.
Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:42 PM   #27
photon

Exp:

When I ordered 50' of cable it was 50' of cable both wires included; they were molded together with the casing. That was the one I ordered anyway, which was 12 gauge in wall stuff.
Old 09-03-2008, 07:23 PM   #28
Mayer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
When I ordered 50' of cable it was 50' of cable both wires included; they were molded together with the casing. That was the one I ordered anyway, which was 12 gauge in wall stuff.
Was that from Monoprice.com ?

I am beginning to question the moral character of those who cheer for Vancouver.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:06 PM   #29
Mayer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also, seeing as how I've changed topics once, let's try again...

Here's a picture of the back and front of my receiver.
http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/8448/dscn1495bp3.jpg

http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/5308/dscn1499ik4.jpg

Will this handle true surround sound? It says Dolby surround, but I've been told that the audio inputs for each component need to be coaxle (??) or something like that, and that this one doesn't have it. I have new speakers coming and I want to make sure I'm surround sound capable, and if this one doesn't do it, then I'll go out and get another one.

Can anyone help?

Old 09-03-2008, 08:33 PM   #30
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayer View Post
Was that from Monoprice.com ?
Yes.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:41 PM   #31
photon

Exp:

Quote:
Also, seeing as how I've changed topics once, let's try again...

Here's a picture of the back and front of my receiver.
http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/8448/dscn1495bp3.jpg

http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/5308/dscn1499ik4.jpg

Will this handle true surround sound? It says Dolby surround, but I've been told that the audio inputs for each component need to be coaxle (??) or something like that, and that this one doesn't have it. I have new speakers coming and I want to make sure I'm surround sound capable, and if this one doesn't do it, then I'll go out and get another one.

Can anyone help?
A little bigger would help

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pi...structions.pdf

Most modern receivers have digital inputs for surround sound (either optical or coaxial), makes wiring it up easy.

This one doesn't have that, but it DOES have analog 5.1 inputs (see page 10 in the manual). The big question will be does your DVD player have 5.1 outputs, as not all of them do. If it doesn't then you're either going to be looking for a new DVD player or a new receiver.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:18 PM   #32
Mayer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
A little bigger would help

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pi...structions.pdf

Most modern receivers have digital inputs for surround sound (either optical or coaxial), makes wiring it up easy.

This one doesn't have that, but it DOES have analog 5.1 inputs (see page 10 in the manual). The big question will be does your DVD player have 5.1 outputs, as not all of them do. If it doesn't then you're either going to be looking for a new DVD player or a new receiver.
What about something like this? Does this give me everything I need for true surround sound? I have absolutely no idea what I'm looking for here.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...gon=&langid=EN

Old 09-03-2008, 10:07 PM   #33
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What about something like this? Does this give me everything I need for true surround sound? I have absolutely no idea what I'm looking for here.

Are you looking for just a 5.1 or do you want more speakers or the ability to add more in the future??

Also you looking to go HD and have HDMI inputs with the receiver to make things easier?

Really depends on what you want.

Also, how important is quality to you?
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:17 PM   #34
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Just looking at the back of the reciever you linked...

It appears to have 3 or 4 HDMI inputs along the top, and 2 optical inputs running vertical along the left side. There is also the coaxial digital input right below them. Anything that uses those inputs will be capable of producing a Dolby Digital or DTS audio signal, which will give you 5.1 at least. (2 front speakers, 2 rear speakers, a centre channel, and the sub). The thing producing the signal (ie. DVD player, Bluray, HD sat. etc.) will have to be set to the correct mode, and the content being watched must have the 5.1 sound in it. (All dvd's/bluray have it built in...TV is hit and miss). I usually just go with Dolby Digital, but most of the time it is automatically selected anyway.

Your 4 surround speakers (2 front, 2 rear) will plug into those 4 square outputs with the red and black. Your centre channel will go into the ones beside it. The 4 round ones are usually for your "Music speakers". When you have 2 larger speakers made for music only, not theatre sound. I imagine you will ignore those.

ANYWAY, make a long story short...yes, that receiver will do surround sound perfectly, and you are actually nicely setup for the future. Yeah, it's Sony...but that's another thready.

Hope this helps some.

Last edited by psicodude; 09-03-2008 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:23 PM   #35
Mayer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
Are you looking for just a 5.1 or do you want more speakers or the ability to add more in the future??

Also you looking to go HD and have HDMI inputs with the receiver to make things easier?

Really depends on what you want.

Also, how important is quality to you?
For now I'll only have 5 speakers. But I would like to be able to add some in the future for sure. I do want HDMI inputs too. I'll have my xbox, blu ray and PVR/TV to plug in.

Quality is fairly important, but I also want to spend reasonably. Do you have a better suggestion for that general price range? I'm very open to suggestions.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:25 PM   #36
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Get an Onkyo!
Thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:26 PM   #37
Mayer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
Just looking at the back of the reciever you linked...

It appears to have 3 or 4 HDMI inputs along the top, and 2 optical inputs running vertical along the left side. There is also the coaxial digital input right below them. Anything that uses those inputs will be capable of producing a Dolby Digital or DTS audio signal, which will give you 5.1 at least. (2 front speakers, 2 rear speakers, a centre channel, and the sub). The thing producing the signal (ie. DVD player, Bluray, HD sat. etc.) will have to be set to the correct mode, and the content being watched must have the 5.1 sound in it. (All dvd's/bluray have it built in...TV is hit and miss). I usually just go with Dolby Digital, but most of the time it is automatically selected anyway.

Your 4 surround speakers (2 front, 2 rear) will plug into those 4 square outputs with the red and black. Your centre channel will go into the ones beside it. The 4 round ones are usually for your "Music speakers". When you have 2 larger speakers made for music only, not theatre sound. I imagine you will ignore those.

ANYWAY, make a long story short...yes, that receiver will do surround sound perfectly, and you are actually nicely setup for the future. Yeah, it's Sony...but that's another thready.

Hope this helps some.
Very helpful. Thank you. Do you have any suggestions for receivers in this general price range? I just picked this one out as it had the price range I liked as well as seemed to have all the necessary hook ups.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:27 PM   #38
Mayer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Get an Onkyo!
I'm guessing your being sarcastic? I was wondering about those. Never even heard the name.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:28 PM   #39
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just to add...

HDMI has both video and audio in 1 cable. So, if your dvd player has and HDMI output, plug it into one of the available ports and configure the receiver to use that port as DVD. (I assume Sony has some sort of on screen menu to do this.) Then, when you want to watch a DVD, select "DVD mode" on your receiver and you are done.

The optical input is audio only. So, you will need to run video cables (probably component..Red, Blue, Green) to one of the 4 comp. inputs you have, and also run an optical cable to one of the optical inputs you have. Then, setup the receiver so that "DVD mode" uses the correct input for both audio and video.

Man, I hope I am not making things worse here.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:32 PM   #40
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Very helpful. Thank you. Do you have any suggestions for receivers in this general price range? I just picked this one out as it had the price range I liked as well as seemed to have all the necessary hook ups.
Actually, that model looks pretty nice. It just seems like everyone I know that has purchased Sony has had it die within a couple of years. But honestly, that is just personal opinion. I am sure it will be fine.

I have a Harmon/Kardon myself that I love, but they are pricey.