Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-17-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
Tolwyn
Farm Team Player

Exp:
Default Opinions for a VOIP setup...

While my family is pretty much all cellular/mobile (even the security system); we may have some elderly inlaws visiting for a few months who will need some form of telephone in the house. Both my wife and I work, so our cells would go with us during the day.

I've looked at a few online like MagicJack Plus, Skype, etc. -- does anyone have any good recommendations? I've seen all kinds of mixed reviews. I could install a full-on Telus landline but scheduling it, and the price overall just isn't too palatable at all. US and worldwide calling isn't important, unlimited Canada would be nice but not a big deal either. I just don't want a huge investment for an on/off again arrangement.

I currently use a Rogers Prepaid card on an older GSM Motorola phone connected to regular cordless phones via a BT box. An ok solution but not great so I'm looking for other ideas.

I have a very solid net connection at home which is about 5Mbps up/down give or take. I have a relatively new unused 5GHz 3x Panasonic handsets that I can use too.

Thanks in advance.
Tolwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have experience with Vonage and have been very happy with them. Once you sign up they will send you a free VOIP device that plugs into your router, the VOIP device then connects to a single phone or you can attach it your home phone distribution and get it everywhere you have a jack.

http://www.vonage.ca/calling-plans/r...ial/basic-500/
oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:37 PM   #3
Tolwyn
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Thanks, I'll look into it -- forgot about Vonage after all these years... hopefully they don't have any contracts either! Cheers.
Tolwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #4
Lego Man
Hero

Exp:

Has anyone had any experiences with www.wlink.ca? or Vonage?

I had a family member ask me today if he should drop his Telus phone service and just have Telus Internet, with either a wlink or vonage home phone set-up.

He's interested in plan 2:
https://www2.wlink.ca/web/digitalphone/voipPromo.asp

Long distance to Europe is a factor aswell for him.

What's the quality like? Is it reliable?
Lego Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I just use an old cell phone running Dell Voice as a home phone now. Just use the wifi. I have been pleasantly surprised by the sound quality. You can also set up the dell voice account on other phones as well. Works well enough for free.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
Lego Man
Hero

Exp:

Dell Voice looks really interesting.

However, the couple inquiring are older and are looking to keep using their traditional home phone set-ups lol

What a dying breed home phones are though!
Old 10-04-2012, 12:41 PM   #7
Lego Man
Hero

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
I just use an old cell phone running Dell Voice as a home phone now. Just use the wifi. I have been pleasantly surprised by the sound quality. You can also set up the dell voice account on other phones as well. Works well enough for free.
How does Dell Voice work? Does the app always have to be on and open in the background of the phone? Similar to Skype?
Old 10-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #8
TheGrimm
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Been using www.primus.ca for the past 5 years, no complaints on my end either, it's pretty cheap and I wired it into my house so that every landline is actually a VOIP phone.
TheGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #9
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaca View Post
How does Dell Voice work? Does the app always have to be on and open in the background of the phone? Similar to Skype?
Yes, the app on the phone needs to open for it to ring, bit of a downer but I leave the phone plugged in at home. It will still go to voicemail though but no indication of a missed call.

Just to update this a little. I left Dell voice running all afternoon and I didn't notice any real change in battery drain. I went down about 5% in a four hour span and that was with all syncs on. Very little use of the phone though.

Last edited by Galakanokis; 10-04-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:57 PM   #10
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I suppose if you could figure out what port Dell Voice uses, you could prioritize it on your router to make sure it always gets the bandwidth it needs. That would ensure even better phoning quality.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 09:16 AM   #11
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has anyone heard of or use Phone Power VOIP? It looks great for pricing and reviews seem to be solid. Anything I should look at before jumping at this?

http://www.gonevoip.ca/phone-power-residential-review
http://www.phonepower.com/greatdeal.aspx
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 10:59 AM   #12
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

hmmm...anyone have ideas?
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote