Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2024, 11:04 AM   #81
ReinhartonD
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
yes we do - the first round pick being as good as possible is better than a 4th becoming a 3rd
Or... we hope that Vegas passes the Kings and beats the Oilers in round 1...

Actually is the only way we get the bump of both the Vegas and Vancouver deals if Vegas crosses over to the Central as a wild card and does their winning there, allowing the Canucks to make the Western Conference final and bump that pick up as well?
ReinhartonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 11:28 AM   #82
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Huby was doing good after December, being PPG but he's disappearing again
He was a PPG for about 20 games at most. It was a small sample size, much like his one point in December (on the last night).

He's on a 50 point pace for the season, which is who he likely is at this stage, as long as he's getting 18-20 minutes a night and premium PP time.

Of course, if that's what your top players are getting with that ice time, your team is in big trouble.

That was Stajan's problem. He was a 50 point player getting that kind of ice time. When he was moved down the chain, his points decreased of course. The same for Huberdeau will happen if he gets removed from the PP. It might be the best thing for the Flames if they end up with better players playing the PP, even if it makes Hubberdeau look even worse.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 11:52 AM   #83
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

His point totals would be a bit better if we didn't have a 30th ranked PP at 14%.

Even if we make middle of the pack we are around 20%.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 11:57 AM   #84
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
His point totals would be a bit better if we didn't have a 30th ranked PP at 14%.

Even if we make middle of the pack we are around 20%.
But he is one of the reasons why our PP is ranked 30th. Hate the dweeb all you want but he would instantly make out PP better just by controlling the puck into the offensive zone.
Old 03-27-2024, 11:59 AM   #85
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
He was a PPG for about 20 games at most. It was a small sample size, much like his one point in December (on the last night).

He's on a 50 point pace for the season, which is who he likely is at this stage, as long as he's getting 18-20 minutes a night and premium PP time.

Of course, if that's what your top players are getting with that ice time, your team is in big trouble.

That was Stajan's problem. He was a 50 point player getting that kind of ice time. When he was moved down the chain, his points decreased of course. The same for Huberdeau will happen if he gets removed from the PP. It might be the best thing for the Flames if they end up with better players playing the PP, even if it makes Hubberdeau look even worse.
In an 82 games season, 20 games isn't really a small sample size. The real outlier sample size in this season was his wretched pointless December. January/February was fine. March has tailed off for him with 7 points. But then again, it has for almost all Flames. Kadri has 2 more points than Huberdeau in March, Coleman has 2 less. The only guy who's pushed through the post TDL stuff is Yegor, at PPG.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 12:03 PM   #86
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
But he is one of the reasons why our PP is ranked 30th. Hate the dweeb all you want but he would instantly make out PP better just by controlling the puck into the offensive zone.
That's not his role though.

It's not like we a had a top 10 PP with him anyways it was usually in the teens, and below.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 12:22 PM   #87
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Snek Snek!
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 12:33 PM   #88
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by traptor View Post
I'm okay with the loses while we reset.

I hate the fact that I may have to watch Huberdeau for 7 more years on this team
I hate the fact that we are going to have to read people saying this after every loss (and most wins) for the next 7 years.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 12:37 PM   #89
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReinhartonD View Post
Or... we hope that Vegas passes the Kings and beats the Oilers in round 1...

Actually is the only way we get the bump of both the Vegas and Vancouver deals if Vegas crosses over to the Central as a wild card and does their winning there, allowing the Canucks to make the Western Conference final and bump that pick up as well?
If the Nucks make the conference final, the 4th becomes a 3rd, but the 1st slots in at 29-32

I would rather the Nucks go to #### from here and the 1st be 25th, leaving the 4th a 4th (where we probably take the same player anyway)
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 12:47 PM   #90
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I hate the fact that we are going to have to read people saying this after every loss (and most wins) for the next 7 years.
He scored the only goal against the Sabres (albeit a bit of a fluke) and somehow he was still the reason for the loss.
Old 03-27-2024, 01:05 PM   #91
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
If you're sick of discussing it, I understand that, but it doesn't make it any less true. I can understand fans watching a game like this and being frustrated about it.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 01:08 PM   #92
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
He scored the only goal against the Sabres (albeit a bit of a fluke) and somehow he was still the reason for the loss.
I fully get what you are saying, and have stopped ranting about Huberdeau as it doesn't change anything, but man I wish I could count the number of times he has been the reason for a win on more than one hand.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 01:30 PM   #93
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In an 82 games season, 20 games isn't really a small sample size. The real outlier sample size in this season was his wretched pointless December. January/February was fine. March has tailed off for him with 7 points. But then again, it has for almost all Flames. Kadri has 2 more points than Huberdeau in March, Coleman has 2 less. The only guy who's pushed through the post TDL stuff is Yegor, at PPG.
So, the January 20 game stretch is not a small sample size, but the December 20 game stretch is?

In any event, the larger sample size of the entire season is likely the better view to look at, as it consolidates the ups and downs of the season. Better to ignore the smaller sample sizes and concentrate on the larger one.

That's about a 50 point pace. And that's for close to 2 seasons.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 01:36 PM   #94
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If the Nucks make the conference final, the 4th becomes a 3rd, but the 1st slots in at 29-32

I would rather the Nucks go to #### from here and the 1st be 25th, leaving the 4th a 4th (where we probably take the same player anyway)
Agree, but then we wouldn't want the Oilers winning the division, because that would be annoying.

So ideally, Nucks and Oilers both go #### from here.

In fact, that's a universal constant that should always apply at any time.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 01:39 PM   #95
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
So, the January 20 game stretch is not a small sample size, but the December 20 game stretch is?

In any event, the larger sample size of the entire season is likely the better view to look at, as it consolidates the ups and downs of the season. Better to ignore the smaller sample sizes and concentrate on the larger one.

That's about a 50 point pace. And that's for close to 2 seasons.
It was not 20 games in December, it was 13, and it was more like 24 games in Jan/Feb, if you want to count.

And yes, the one point in December was more an outlier than the other months.
Old 03-27-2024, 01:45 PM   #96
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It was not 20 games in December, it was 13, and it was more like 24 games in Jan/Feb, if you want to count.

And yes, the one point in December was more an outlier than the other months.
The sequencing doesn't matter.

55 points last year, and on track for 51 points this year.
Old 03-27-2024, 02:24 PM   #97
Yoda
Draft Pick

Quote:

Fully agree with this. The Flames are better off with a higher Canuck 1st than a 4th becoming a 3rd. What is the best case scenario for that Canuck 1st? Is it 25?

Say the Canucks are swept in the first round and are the first team knocked out of the playoffs (not very likely I know, but one can dream right?), where would their first fall?
Yoda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 02:46 PM   #98
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
Fully agree with this. The Flames are better off with a higher Canuck 1st than a 4th becoming a 3rd. What is the best case scenario for that Canuck 1st? Is it 25?

Say the Canucks are swept in the first round and are the first team knocked out of the playoffs (not very likely I know, but one can dream right?), where would their first fall?
If they are the worst division winner and all the division winners lose in the first two rounds, it should be 25.

If they lose their division lead it could be better.
The Following User Says Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 03:22 PM   #99
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

And also we get something more if Dallas does well right?
Old 03-27-2024, 03:30 PM   #100
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
And also we get something more if Dallas does well right?
3rd rounder if they get to the finals.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post: