Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Notices

Old 02-28-2024, 09:08 AM   #501
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
If they can keep the aggregate scoreline to within five goals, I will be shocked.
Let's Goooooo!
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 10:47 AM   #502
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I thought they played pretty well. Carducci had a hell of a first half, which was good to see after the first leg. They generated a few quality chances. Our team isn't exactly the biggest group of defensive stalwarts, so no surprise that OC got their chances.
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 05:47 PM   #503
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

The FOMO is real today...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1762688130556264460

shermanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 07:21 PM   #504
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

They were terrible in both legs. There's simply no way that a CPL team will advance into the second round in this format. It was men against boys, even when Orlando starting subbing on a bunch of teenagers.

Marco Carducci is quite simply the worst professional footballer I have ever witnessed play the sport. There was one time yesterday when he played the ball straight to an Orlando attacker standing five yards away while being under absolutely zero pressure, with passing options to open fullbacks on both sides.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2024, 08:52 PM   #505
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I think you need to step back from the Cavs for a bit. You never seem to find any joy in the Cavs. Everything you post seems to be complaining and wallowing in misery.

Just enjoy the Cavs and the CPL for what it is - lower-level professional soccer that lets fans build a relationship with the game and cheer the big moments, like making it to the CONCACAF Champions League and getting to play top North American talent, while simultaneously thumping rival Canadian clubs for a league title.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 08:15 AM   #506
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
They were terrible in both legs. There's simply no way that a CPL team will advance into the second round in this format. It was men against boys, even when Orlando starting subbing on a bunch of teenagers.

Totally. Almost as if they were in different leagues! Like one team is allowed to pay their players more so they attract better players.

Let's rewind ~5 years to where the top level of soccer in Calgary/Alberta was the AMSL. A fully amateur league.

As someone that played in the AMSL and in University, I am INCREDIBLY jealous of where soccer has come in this city, and the pathway leagues like League One and the CPL are providing to kids. When I was in my late teens or early 20s, you were either good enough to go overseas, or you played university. Those were your choices. Soccer has come so far in this city, but sure, gripe about how we lost to a team in a higher league.

Could you imagine the Cavs against Man City? Pfft. Pathetic!

We all know you do this to get a rise out of people, but it's old. If you don't like what the CPL has to offer, go support a different team in a different league. Really not sure what you were expecting.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 09:36 AM   #507
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Getting upset about the Cavs result would be like getting bummed that the Olds Grizzlies get thumped by the Red Deer Rebels.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 09:40 AM   #508
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Getting upset about the Cavs result would be like getting bummed that the Olds Grizzlies get thumped by the Red Deer Rebels.

Or the Wranglers not being able to get a result against the Avs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2024, 09:51 AM   #509
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Being at the game, I thought for the most part, they played pretty well; we had some decent breakout chances and moved the ball well, all things considered. Torres' salary himself is worth more than the entire Cavs roster, so I'm not sure what some are expecting in terms of a result; the playing field is lightyears difference in terms of combined talent. Bevan got a goal, and I say that's pretty awesome. OCSC definitely gave the Cavs more respect this game, that's for sure - their bench was not taking the Cavs lightly. To be honest, I think the Cavs' play over two games surprised OCSC, and in a good way.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 10:48 AM   #510
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think people need to remember that this version of the Cavs likely would have beat the 2019 Cavs by five goals over two games as well. The difference in talent between then and now is enormous.

The league needs time and investment. I have no doubt that if the league can get to 12 solid teams, they can double or triple salaries, add a designated player or two, start getting close to 10k per game in some markets (like this one)… and really compete with the low end of MLS. I do not think they will ever close the gap all the way unless the CPL abandons a salary cap and the Southerns feel like losing $10-20 million a year like the Saputos, but it’s going to keep getting better.

Right now, we’re like Maribor or Sheriff in the UCL… we’re target practice for top clubs. Difference is, there’s a lot of potential to close the gap.

I was in Victoria and was a little rattled by how Orlando manhandled them, but that was a top MLS team who treated them like an equal in game 1.

It’s gonna take time. Hopefully a new stadium too so we can watch these live in Calgary.

Last edited by Thunderball; 03-01-2024 at 10:52 AM.
Thunderball is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Thunderball For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 11:38 AM   #511
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couldn't agree more. We have to remember that the pro game in this city failed for the first 144 years of it's existence. And it's a similar story everywhere in this country outside of Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal. For this club to really get it's hooks into the sporting landscape it first and foremost has to have some longevity. It's going to take a generation for the game to really be engrained in this city.

Cavalry are in their 6th season of existence. That's 3 times longer than the Kickers and Storm and 6 times longer than the Boomers, Strikers and Mustangs. They are the model club in the league in my opinion and are set up for the long haul with an ownership group that has built a world class sporting experience out of thin air before. And the owners are going to build this in a sustainable way. I don't think anyone wants them to pull a Michael Vandale and bail on the club mid season.

Regardless of what some chode on a message board says to try and get a rise out of people Cavalry are far and away the best this city has ever seen.

Last edited by shermanator; 03-01-2024 at 11:42 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 06:39 PM   #512
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1763700770635948509

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2024, 06:59 PM   #513
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was a fun couple of games cheering on the boys. Results aren’t as important as the experience for the team.

Walking around Orlando, so many people recognized the cavs hat, which emphasizes the fact that the team has made it.

Hanging out with some of the players in downtown Orlando post game was definitely icing on the cake though.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2024, 10:24 AM   #514
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
Regardless of what some chode on a message board says to try and get a rise out of people Cavalry are far and away the best this city has ever seen.
One thing to commend is that this team is a much, much higher quality team than the 2019 edition. Same with the league as a whole - it's also grown significantly in player/game quality and impact in the soccer world since that time. The CPL has come a long way. If its growth and reach continues, imagine where it will be in another 5-10 years.

MLS also started as a small, upstart organization in the 90s; look how far it's come since then. While we will never be the MLS (due to sheer economics and presence of the existing soccer market in NA), we should take pride in knowing that we're following that early trajectory of MLS in its infancy - and we've come a long way in five years to soccer relevancy and sustainability here in Calgary, as well as the development of the game across the country since.
Old 03-02-2024, 10:24 AM   #515
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
One thing to commend is that this team is a much, much higher quality team than the 2019 edition. Same with the league as a whole - it's also grown significantly in player/game quality and impact in the soccer world since that time. The CPL has come a long way. If its growth and reach continues, imagine where it will be in another 5-10 years.
As long as the fans keep coming. Cavs look to be trending strongly, the league as a whole is still on shaky ground, for now.
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2024, 10:27 AM   #516
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
I’m insulted. Didn’t even mention Calgary United!
Old 03-02-2024, 10:30 AM   #517
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
As long as the fans keep coming. Cavs look to be trending strongly, the league as a whole is still on shaky ground, for now.
Definitely - but these are the challenges we have to go through and endure to cross that horizon, as with any fledgling startup. As a nationwide league, this is the farthest we've ever come to date. Keep going.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2024, 03:26 PM   #518
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
People forget that MLS nearly folded 6 years in and relied on two ownership groups and Beckham to drag them into relevance.

There are 5 clubs on pretty solid footing (Pacific, Cavalry, Forge, Ottawa, Halifax). I think Valour are shaky and I don't see them changing until there is a new ownership group. Vancouver weren't great year 1 but at least the squad looks to have been invested in if that's any indication. York got new owners this offseason so that's promising.

A lot better than any past attempt at a domestic league.

Old 03-03-2024, 01:49 AM   #519
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Messi owes Cavalry a favour for softening the opponent, as he and Suarez score two each and win 5-0 (club record for margin of victory) over Orlando tonight.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2024, 10:58 AM   #520
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Single Match tickets go on sale next Friday. March 15th.

Tags
cavalry fc , cpl , ftf , soccer