Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2024, 09:38 PM   #2181
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
My FC hockey mock draft:
https://nhlentrydraft.com/mock-draft/208700

Demidov and Hage in the 1st round.
22 teams passed on Iginla?
jg13 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 09:54 PM   #2182
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
That would be amazing.
In many ways, especially Iginla going 23rd to the Leafs
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2024, 10:03 PM   #2183
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
22 teams passed on Iginla?
In that sim, yep.

It's different every time you run it.
Old 04-20-2024, 10:28 PM   #2184
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
My FC hockey mock draft:
https://nhlentrydraft.com/mock-draft/208700

Demidov and Hage in the 1st round.
My god, that would be amazing.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2024, 11:29 PM   #2185
Tibnadian_tpd
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Apologies if this was already posted but Sam Cosentino's latest rankings

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...april-edition/
As with everyone else, would obviously be thrilled with any of Celebrini, Demidov, Catton, Iginla, Yakemchuk, Parekh, Buium, Dickinson or Lindstrom.

Just an uncommon opinion, and not that they would be available at our spot, but I have doubts about a few players in the top 10, particularly Artyom Levshunov. I've really tried hard to see what is so special about Artyom Levshunov, because he's consistently ranked so highly. I mean he skates well and seems to have an impressive build, but that sportsnet article has him ranked 2nd in the draft which is bewildering to me. There's just so many better players (I think anyways ). Offensively, it seems all too often, his passes cause teammates to consistently readjust their positioning, and aren't overly creative or difficult. His shot isn't anything to beholden of either in terms of accuracy or power. Defensively, I've read of his improvements since arriving at Michigan State, but even that shouldn't warrant a 2nd overall selection either. Despite his mobilty, he seems to get beaten to spots in the defensive end, even when he has a headstart to the puck in anticipating where it's going. It just seems like he might be player along the lines of an Eric Brewer or Seth Jones, two other mobile and hulking defencemen, that were/are nice pieces, but lack star ceilings mostly because of their puck skill level. Is he really deserving of 2nd or even 3rd overall? His comparable on some sites is Alex Pietrangelo, but he appears to be much less talented with the puck, which has me leaning towards putting him in the Eric Brewer/Seth Jones tier. Decent, but I have a feeling when its all said and done, there will be quite a few better players from this draft who should have been chosen ahead of him. I just think any selection in the top 5 and perhaps even top 10 will end up being too high for choosing him. Anyways, it'll be interesting to revisit this in the coming years.
Tibnadian_tpd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tibnadian_tpd For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2024, 12:50 AM   #2186
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
I think some people are missing is that Tij is a few weeks away from being a '25 pick. He's younger than 90+% of players in this draft.

Imagine if he were putting up this kind of season in his D-1 year. Where would people be slotting him in next year? Top 5? Top 3?

This is also why I'm pretty high on Celibrini. Don't think he'd type average 1oa.

Anyway, if we get him at 9, we would be lucky. It won't be a reach at all. Here's hoping.
The experts who are ranking him outside the top 10 are not missing that though.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 01:22 AM   #2187
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
In many ways, especially Iginla going 23rd to the Leafs
I was obviously referring to us landing both Demidov and Hage. I didn't look to see where Iginla went until you mentioned it.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2024, 02:42 AM   #2188
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibnadian_tpd View Post
As with everyone else, would obviously be thrilled with any of Celebrini, Demidov, Catton, Iginla, Yakemchuk, Parekh, Buium, Dickinson or Lindstrom.

Just an uncommon opinion, and not that they would be available at our spot, but I have doubts about a few players in the top 10, particularly Artyom Levshunov. I've really tried hard to see what is so special about Artyom Levshunov, because he's consistently ranked so highly. I mean he skates well and seems to have an impressive build, but that sportsnet article has him ranked 2nd in the draft which is bewildering to me. There's just so many better players (I think anyways ). Offensively, it seems all too often, his passes cause teammates to consistently readjust their positioning, and aren't overly creative or difficult. His shot isn't anything to beholden of either in terms of accuracy or power. Defensively, I've read of his improvements since arriving at Michigan State, but even that shouldn't warrant a 2nd overall selection either. Despite his mobilty, he seems to get beaten to spots in the defensive end, even when he has a headstart to the puck in anticipating where it's going. It just seems like he might be player along the lines of an Eric Brewer or Seth Jones, two other mobile and hulking defencemen, that were/are nice pieces, but lack star ceilings mostly because of their puck skill level. Is he really deserving of 2nd or even 3rd overall? His comparable on some sites is Alex Pietrangelo, but he appears to be much less talented with the puck, which has me leaning towards putting him in the Eric Brewer/Seth Jones tier. Decent, but I have a feeling when its all said and done, there will be quite a few better players from this draft who should have been chosen ahead of him. I just think any selection in the top 5 and perhaps even top 10 will end up being too high for choosing him. Anyways, it'll be interesting to revisit this in the coming years.
I've never even seen a clip of his play but I was told recently he has outstanding vision and passing skills to go along with his skating, problem is he doesn't have a lot of talent around him in Michigan or his offensive numbers might be thru the roof, comparisons to McAvoy might be right.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 07:03 AM   #2189
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Levshunov is better compared to a Tyler Myers than a Petrangelo, he’s got a very limited offensive upside from my viewing over the last few months. Brewer was another good comparison, at least for now. I know some say he’s got no support, but if you watch some tape there’s lots of questionable puck choices every game.

Skating is there, but I don’t see him being a value pick in the top 5-8 imo let alone #2. He’s behind both Parekh and Buium in my mind, maybe slightly behind Dickinson.

Last edited by Royle9; 04-21-2024 at 07:05 AM.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2024, 08:24 AM   #2190
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Levshunov is better compared to a Tyler Myers than a Petrangelo, he’s got a very limited offensive upside from my viewing over the last few months. Brewer was another good comparison, at least for now. I know some say he’s got no support, but if you watch some tape there’s lots of questionable puck choices every game.

Skating is there, but I don’t see him being a value pick in the top 5-8 imo let alone #2. He’s behind both Parekh and Buium in my mind, maybe slightly behind Dickinson.
To me buium, and Parehk have more chance if finding their defensive game than levshunov of his offensive game. For me the defencemen rank.

Dickinson
Buium
Parehk/yakemchuk
Sylaev
Levshunov
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 09:15 AM   #2191
BigThief
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
The heater that saw them go 5-5?
Sure given the situation. When you're a bottom third team and hoping to draft higher going .500 is hot given the context.
BigThief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigThief For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2024, 09:20 AM   #2192
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigThief View Post
Sure given the situation. When you're a bottom third team and hoping to draft higher going .500 is hot given the context.
Not with the teams they were playing. It’s not like they beat playoff teams to go .500. Expecting to lose to SJ twice, Anaheim, and the coyotes was never realistic
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2024, 10:21 AM   #2193
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’ve got;

Parekh
Buium
Dickinson
Yakemchuk/Levshunov
Silayev

Only because Buium holds the US factor, and he’s been very vocal about his love for the US internationally. Yes I know he’s got Israeli roots but he was born in Cali and has flourished in US hockey.

The only way I draft him is if he signs immediately and forgoes the college loophole option.

I think his game is more rounded where I think Parekh is more offensively minded.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 10:23 AM   #2194
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Not with the teams they were playing. It’s not like they beat playoff teams to go .500. Expecting to lose to SJ twice, Anaheim, and the coyotes was never realistic
Absolutely correct. The Coyotes game was the only one that maybe they “should have” lost. I was at that game and the Flames were dreadful for most of it. Coyotes tanked a little harder that day.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 11:01 AM   #2195
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Sandy, thoughts on Alfons Freij?
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 11:06 AM   #2196
BigThief
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
That's fair, I've been checked out the last quarter and only watched game 82 of the last stretch.
BigThief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 11:09 AM   #2197
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
I’ve got;

Parekh
Buium
Dickinson
Yakemchuk/Levshunov
Silayev

Only because Buium holds the US factor, and he’s been very vocal about his love for the US internationally. Yes I know he’s got Israeli roots but he was born in Cali and has flourished in US hockey.

The only way I draft him is if he signs immediately and forgoes the college loophole option.

I think his game is more rounded where I think Parekh is more offensively minded.
Virtually no chance a guy like Buium goes to UFA. He would need to do 5 years in college. Players like this are on a fast track to pro hockey.

Long term though who knows.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 11:13 AM   #2198
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fun story with 3 mocks in 1:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...i/73400282007/

BR gives the Flames: Yakemchuk
Lines.com gives the Flames: Demidov,
BN gives them Flames: Iginla

Note that for some reason they have the Flames at 8. lame.

Last edited by Jiri Hrdina; 04-21-2024 at 11:17 AM.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2024, 11:13 AM   #2199
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Demidov and Hage? Oh yes please.
TrentCrimmIndependent is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 11:17 AM   #2200
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames get Demidov I will be so excited I will get a raging.....heart rate!
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:

Tags
2024 nhl draft , nhl draft