Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

Ok snap, well IŽll see after payday and probably could even get that price down
Old 10-23-2017, 06:39 AM   #22
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

So for that JBL as an example, would I then go Sub1 out to the A input, then A speaker wires to my front left which has the subwoofer in, then use the crossover wire to the other sub in the right speaker?
Old 10-23-2017, 07:30 AM   #23
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I'm wondering why Thor needs another amp here for the subs... Can't you just wire the A out to the tweeters, the B out to the woofers, and set those to LFE? The Amp should then send the low frequency to the B speakers (subs). I think if you set the A speakers to (small) you can also have most of the high frequency go to them.

EDIT: Page 13 of the manual, bi-amp. You should be able to do that.

Last edited by Fuzz; 10-23-2017 at 07:36 AM.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 09:10 AM   #24
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
So for that JBL as an example, would I then go Sub1 out to the A input, then A speaker wires to my front left which has the subwoofer in, then use the crossover wire to the other sub in the right speaker?
That will work.

I would do this, though:

1. Yamaha SUB1 ---> JBL input A ---> #1 Front speaker sub input

2. Yamaha SUB2 ---> JBL input B ---> #2 Front speaker sub input

Last edited by Baron von Kriterium; 10-23-2017 at 09:10 AM. Reason: edit to clarify
Baron von Kriterium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2017, 10:58 PM   #25
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

I can get the JBL in 7 days if he hasn't sold it for about 200 CAD, which is very likely since these kinds of items don't sell well in Iceland. People here are obsessed with the idea of minimalist TV and soundbar crap, if you see speakers here in Iceland with home theater in Iceland its pretty rare. Stupid hipsters
Old 10-24-2017, 10:09 AM   #26
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
So I'm wondering why Thor needs another amp here for the subs... Can't you just wire the A out to the tweeters, the B out to the woofers, and set those to LFE? The Amp should then send the low frequency to the B speakers (subs). I think if you set the A speakers to (small) you can also have most of the high frequency go to them.

EDIT: Page 13 of the manual, bi-amp. You should be able to do that.
He doesn't need another amp for the subs; he can connect his SUB1 to his powered subwoofer. That is the easiest solution. It's also cheaper than my proposed solution, above.

In my opinion, the bi-amping solution that Yamaha presents is to divert unused power at the rear surrounds to the front mains. I don't quite follow how you would connect the subwoofer in this situation.
At any rate, I personally wouldn't go with a bi-amping solution because a subwoofer likes to eat power and it should have its own dedicated amplifier (and with that, its own power supply). If the bi-amping solution for the subs is achievable, then the Yamaha has to run the mains and the subs, which likely will result in clipping.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:19 AM   #27
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
I can get the JBL in 7 days if he hasn't sold it for about 200 CAD, which is very likely since these kinds of items don't sell well in Iceland. People here are obsessed with the idea of minimalist TV and soundbar crap, if you see speakers here in Iceland with home theater in Iceland its pretty rare. Stupid hipsters
I think that's a good price for the power that amp has. Just make sure you are able to audition it. If he doesn't have the manual, you can download it.

I looked at a picture of the back panel and just note that the inputs are XLR terminals. What this means is that you will need an RCA to XLR cable. These aren't expensive. Your local musical instrument store should carry them. If not, Amazon UK.

I briefly read the manual and you can set the amp to Dual Mono mode which means that you only need one input signal (from SUB1 into A). Connect your speakers to A and B. Please confirm with the manual, though, because I'm going off of memory from last night.

That amp is 35 kg by the way - 300W into 8 ohms stereo. Your neighbors will think Hekla is erupting when you get that amp connected to the subs.

I thought the hipsters were all for the vintage stereo gear?