Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2017, 12:59 PM   #1
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default 5G Shaw WIFI Not Working With New Laptop

So I bought a new laptop (Lenova Yoga), and i'm having internet issues. I have the Shaw 150 in my house, so I have both a 2.4G and a 5G WIFI connection. Computer works great with the 2.4G, but it is constantly dropping the 5G connection. It can't stay connected it at all to it. I don't think it's a Shaw issue though as this new device (laptop) is the only item in my house with this issue.

I went through all the suggested fixes with Shaw on the phone, and I believe i've updated all the drivers on the new laptop. I thought I had it fixed last night, but when I turned it back on again this morning the issue remains with the 5G WIFI connection.

Anyone else ever experience a problem like this, or may know the answer?
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:07 PM   #2
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe this is really obvious, and doesn't need to be asked, but does the computer have 5g wifi capability?
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 01:46 PM   #3
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass_nerder View Post
Maybe this is really obvious, and doesn't need to be asked, but does the computer have 5g wifi capability?
If it didn't, the computer wouldn't be able to connect to the AP at all. Being able to connect to it is indicative that it has the capability, but there might be an issue with the appliance or wireless NIC itself.

@TheAlpineOracle: Personally I've never been a huge fan of ISPs' built-in WAPs. Does the Lenovo have this issue with other 5GHz wireless networks? If you can find that out, you may be able to contact Lenovo and get them to replace the wireless card.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:27 PM   #4
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have you tried forgetting the 2.4G network? I know my phone kept dropping the connection to the 5G I assume because the 2.4G signal was stronger. One I forgot the 2.4G it stayed on the 5G without issues.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 02:48 PM   #5
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Can you go to a friend's house and try their 5G connection? That would really help narrow down the cause.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:18 PM   #6
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had a similar issue with my Surface. Kept dropping off the 5ghz band but also had issues with 2.4 though. Every other device in the house had no connectivity issues. It was really weird. I tried resetting the network connection, several re-starts etc......what finally worked was just shutting it down. No idea why this worked but it's been rock solid ever since.

In your cause, I'd shut it down, pull the battery if you can, fire it back up and see if that did the trick. I think it's just something wonky with Win10.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 04:53 PM   #7
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

I had this issue with my desktop for a while, it was mainly a windows 10 issue I found out eventually

What worked for me was rolling back the driver to an older update, the newest update for my Asus Wi-Fi adapter wasn't working with windows 10
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2017, 05:22 PM   #8
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is probably either a driver issue or due to the fact that 5Ghz wifi does not have the penetration level of 2.4Ghz, so the signal isn't as strong.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2017, 09:15 PM   #9
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thanks. I'll try some of these responses when I return from vacation.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:45 PM   #10
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Google the model and see if has wifi issues.

I had a Yoga a couple years ago, and realized that the model had issues. Wifi was one of them, and I think it was that the 5g band was totally useless at holding a connection, so I swapped out the network interface card to one recommended on some forum. Issues didn’t stop there, a bad partition and graphics card (yellow screen tint) did it in after a few months, and got a refund after some complaining (Memory Express). But the intermittent wifi was fixed with the card swap.

Swapped the card back to the original before I returned it. If by some fluke it’s a similar issue and the general answer is a difffernt NIC, let me know and I can let you know the model of the card that worked that I still have somewhere.

Only Lenovo I’d trust are the Thinkpads (X1 Carbon)if I get another.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 12:18 AM   #11
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Lenovo often uses Broadcom nics which have issues. What is your built in wireless adapter model and current driver version number?
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 12:03 PM   #12
Jonrox
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I battled connectivity issues last night with a new PS4 Slim. Everything in the house worked perfectly except for the new PS4 which was getting terrible download speeds (sometimes less than 100 kbps... yes kbps... not Mbps) but decent upload speeds. I'm also on Shaw 150 but with a TP-link Archer c2600 router.

I figured it had to be a problem with the PS4 because it was the only device with issues, so exchanged it for a different one only to have the same issue.

I ended up doing a firmware update on the router and that fixed the problem. Everything is working beautifully now.
Jonrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 01:00 PM   #13
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I called Shaw due to slow speeds with 150 on both 5 and 2.4. They ended up messing with the channels which really helped. Could be worth a shot
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 04:27 PM   #14
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Are you in the same room as your Router on the 5G band? Im not really tech-savvy and im sure I will be corrected if wrong here... But..

With the 2.4Ghz band, you get extended ranges but not as strong signal (Radio waves are less high and low but more extended), On the 5Ghz band, you get high and lower peaks but much less range.

If you are at one end of your house and the router/cable modem is on the other, you are not going to benefit from the performance of the 5Ghz band and subsequently would get better results from the 2.4Ghz band.

Not sure if that's your issue but I suffered the same issue when connected to my 5Ghz band and had to move my router to the same room as my unit.
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 03:26 PM   #15
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So I thought I had the issue beat, but it would appear not. Back from vacation now. Is there anyone that can let me know how to see what type of network card I have so I can relay that to the tech savvy people here?
Old 09-01-2017, 05:08 PM   #16
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
So I thought I had the issue beat, but it would appear not. Back from vacation now. Is there anyone that can let me know how to see what type of network card I have so I can relay that to the tech savvy people here?
In your start or search bar, search for "Device Manager"

It will bring up a screen like this and your network adapters (wired, wifi, bluetooth, etc.) will be in there.

Old 09-01-2017, 08:12 PM   #17
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Looks to be a Qualcomm AtherosQCA61*4A wireless network adapter
Old 09-01-2017, 08:49 PM   #18
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Frustrating the hell out of m because I believe the network card above is supposed to be 5G.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:36 AM   #19
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

That is a dual band card so 5G should work

It could be Microsoft Virtual WiFi interfering. It's useless so try disabling it by opening the command menu (in the start bar type "cmd" and open as administrator) then copy/paste in "netsh wlan stop hostednetwork"
and press enter. Then copy/paste "netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=disallow"
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:36 PM   #20
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

To isolate it down to an issue with your router settings/home environment, can you go to another place and connect to their 5G and test it out? Like a friend's place, a business, etc?