Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2013, 06:23 AM   #1
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Citrix help

I started with a new company and last night I logged in using Citrix. It is painfully slow, especially when I RDP to one of the servers. It's pretty much unusable. The only people who don't mind it are the managers who just check email and never have to have access to their desktop or a server.

Are there ways I can try to speed this up? I am currently on basic High Speed. Will going to Broadband 50 help this? I am on a mac at home.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #2
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

The answer is, it depends.

The main factors in play here are your bandwidth and your companies bandwidth. If one is insufficient, you won't get an improvement unless you improve that one. I would talk with other people in your company and find out if they are having the same problems on a faster connection (BB50 has 3Mb/s up, so it should be better). If they are having issues, then you can talk to your manager or IT department to see if they can do anything (like improve bandwidth).

That said, I have run 2 RDP sessions over a 512kb connection and had little issues. I don't know much about the bandwidth requirements comparison between RDP and Citrix though.

Shaw likely would be willing to swing a 30 day/6 month trial of BB50 for you for little or no additional cost, so that's always an option.
Old 06-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #3
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I doubt it's your home connection that's the problem. Your IT department probably hasn't done their homework in optimizing their network or Citrix compression.

Easy way to tell is to use Citrix from somewhere with a fast connection like a friend on high speed. If it's still slow, it's on your company's infrastructure end and not yours.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:35 AM   #4
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

MAke sure you have the latest version of the Citrix Receiver. Also, you can change the settings to lower the color scheme - may help with the speed. But I think Rathji has better suggestions.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote