Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:
Exclamation Bell TV's Firmware Update

I turned on TV to watch LA / Chi game tonight and was shocked to see a completely different interface. Once my eyes get used to not staring at bright blue menus, I think this update will be great.

Does anyone in the know have any insight into anything else that they changed?

I think they implemented a new compression technique; my available hdd recording time went from about 9 hours to 21. The PQ still looks about the same washed out level of detail as before.

Last edited by Draug; 06-05-2013 at 04:08 AM.
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

you talking about the new black menu? 1 of my recievers updated to that about 2 months ago but all my other ones still have the original, blue menu's. (i have 6 recievers)
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

One receiver updated 6 months ago, another finally updated today. The big thing is MPEG4 compression; should significantly increase your HD recording capacity.

The cons:
- The black often blots out what you are looking at. The blue seemed less annoying.
- The toggles for different things are much harder to see. It's Ok when there are 3 or more options, but when there are only 2 it's hard to determine which one is checked off.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The change to MPEG4 increased the recording capacities as a one hour show no longer took up one hour of recording time on the hard drive. The new interface takes this into account.

I don't like it myself and I've had trouble with one of my 9242s menu causing the PVR to crash. Very frustrating and I'm not the only one to complain. Also I like to use a list to only show the stations that are relevant to me. This used to show up in a different colour so it was easy to see if I was on the right list, now it's all one colour that is more difficult to read. Also there is not as much info given in the new guide as it is a big space waster.

I've heard a new update is coming that will address some of these issues, I'm crossing my fingers as I'm hoping it will correct my issues with the one PVR.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:35 PM   #5
csnarpy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
The change to MPEG4 increased the recording capacities as a one hour show no longer took up one hour of recording time on the hard drive. The new interface takes this into account.

I don't like it myself and I've had trouble with one of my 9242s menu causing the PVR to crash. Very frustrating and I'm not the only one to complain. Also I like to use a list to only show the stations that are relevant to me. This used to show up in a different colour so it was easy to see if I was on the right list, now it's all one colour that is more difficult to read. Also there is not as much info given in the new guide as it is a big space waster.

I've heard a new update is coming that will address some of these issues, I'm crossing my fingers as I'm hoping it will correct my issues with the one PVR.
Well my one reciever received a second update a few days back, menu now blue on black and at the top of the guide shows what list your on.

Software v246
Dnasp: 240 rev908

Last edited by csnarpy; 06-05-2013 at 03:38 PM.
csnarpy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to csnarpy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2013, 08:41 PM   #6
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

One of my 9242's updated automatically. The other says new software available or something like that once a day when we turn it on. Then the choices are update or close but I can't figure out how to select the update. Ive tried the arrow keys, volume buttons, enter, start,stop etc with no luck. Does anyone know how to select update so I can get this unit updated? Thanks.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #7
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
One of my 9242's updated automatically. The other says new software available or something like that once a day when we turn it on. Then the choices are update or close but I can't figure out how to select the update. Ive tried the arrow keys, volume buttons, enter, start,stop etc with no luck. Does anyone know how to select update so I can get this unit updated? Thanks.
I've never heard of this before. I remember at one time you could choose to turn automatic updates on or off but I don't see that choice in the menu anymore. Maybe do the unthinkable and call Bell or check out Digital Home Canada.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #8
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was wondering why a few months ago my interface was updated to this different look and my in-law's machine still showed the old stuff.

Will there ever be a time when we get 1080P feeds? I think right now we only get 720P though I don't know if that's because of a limitation with Bell or with the source material.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I've never heard of this before. I remember at one time you could choose to turn automatic updates on or off but I don't see that choice in the menu anymore. Maybe do the unthinkable and call Bell or check out Digital Home Canada.
Yeah, if there was a way I could set my receivers to not do an automatic reboot and check for updates, I would be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:43 AM   #10
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
I was wondering why a few months ago my interface was updated to this different look and my in-law's machine still showed the old stuff.

Will there ever be a time when we get 1080P feeds? I think right now we only get 720P though I don't know if that's because of a limitation with Bell or with the source material.
If you have a PVR, 9242, 9241 or 9400, Bell downloads some movies to your receiver which are 1080p.

Bell and all providers are limited as you say by their source material, 1080i or 720p, but Bell chooses to only use 720p as it saves bandwidth.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #11
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

So besides the blue changing to black and some more HD space did anything else happen that's note worthy?

Having had Bell for over a decade it's weird to see the all black. Hated it at first but then realized nothing menu wise has changed, or at least for what I use.
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #12
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

The only official thing I can find is here: http://support.bell.ca/TV/Receivers/...ver_and_HD_PVR

It pretty much just says exactly what we all know... new menu and double the capacity. I am used to the new colour scheme already as well and figure it's a small price to pay for twice the PVR space.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:57 AM   #13
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
The only official thing I can find is here: http://support.bell.ca/TV/Receivers/...ver_and_HD_PVR

It pretty much just says exactly what we all know... new menu and double the capacity. I am used to the new colour scheme already as well and figure it's a small price to pay for twice the PVR space.
The thing is the new menu isn't responsible for doubling the capacity. The switch to MPEG 4 is what doubled the capacity. The new menu could have been left alone with only the change in calculating the capacity and I would have been happy.

Having said that I got the newest update (V194) on both 9242 receivers which seems to be working fine and is better and easier to read than the first update.