Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2013, 08:52 AM   #61
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

I need to get something for a 14 yr old to keep her off my ipad, computer, etc. and was considering getting a laptop but seen this coming along. Basically 14 yr old girls are all about the social networking scene on the computer, with a little bit of school work thrown in. Is there a built in webcam? Would this be suitable for a 14 yr old girl? The price is definitely up my alley.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 12:23 PM   #62
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzard View Post
I need to get something for a 14 yr old to keep her off my ipad, computer, etc. and was considering getting a laptop but seen this coming along. Basically 14 yr old girls are all about the social networking scene on the computer, with a little bit of school work thrown in. Is there a built in webcam? Would this be suitable for a 14 yr old girl? The price is definitely up my alley.
As far as I can tell from my own adolescent sister, the programs they want is an Internet browser, Skype, and possibly a basic photo editing program/uploading program like Picasa.
The most that the Chromebooks can offer is the Internet bit. Taking photos with the Web camera and uploading to instagram via Web? Sure.
Video chatting? She'll either have to make due with only IMing or moving her friends to Google + somehow.

And what kind of cool kid would do that?
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2013, 03:14 PM   #63
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

What is everyone's experience with these?

Thinking about ordering one from GooglePlay, just as sort of a media device, hook it up to the TV for Hulu, downloaded movies etc.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 07:49 PM   #64
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
What is everyone's experience with these?

Thinking about ordering one from GooglePlay, just as sort of a media device, hook it up to the TV for Hulu, downloaded movies etc.
I love mine, and think it is the future of personal computing. Instant on, reboots in less than 10 seconds, great battery, no moving parts. It performs on the web as well as a $1000 windows laptop, and once you've converted your life to google cloud and web apps, you'll never go back. So many advantages.

That said, I wouldn't get it for what you are looking for. The HDMI connection is pretty finicky, works well on some displays, lots of issues on others. And it doesn't play a lot of video formats. Seems to play netflix decently now though, I haven't done much on Hulu, but I think it is fine.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2013, 08:58 PM   #65
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thanks, nfotiu. I wouldn't use it exclusively for that but that would be one of the reasons.

If that's the case though I might hold off just buying it right from Google and go search BestBuy or Futureshop, return would be much easier that way.

Thanks.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote