Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #41
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got my new Chromebook today and am very happy with it.

For internet browsing, it performs like or better than an expensive laptop. Pages load almost instantly. It wakes up instantly, much like a tablet experience. No fan, no hard drive, so completely quiet. Typing is like typing on my hp work laptop.

I migrated my office documents to my Google Drive and converted them to the google formats. Most of my experience has been with the spreadsheets so far. I have really started appreciating having all my spreadsheets available on the cloud and no chance of losing them. Battery life seems great. Have been unplugged for a couple hours, and reports having 7 hours left.

I found my iPad great for internet browsing, like reading cp, news, sports etc. But when it came time to book travel, online banking, type long emails, it just didn't cut it. I have no need for anything additional a windows computer does any more. I think this actually makes a very nice complementary device to an Android or Apple tablet. The tablet for light browsing, games, videos. And the Chromebook for the more productive things.

Bottom line is, it never feels like you are using a cheap laptop. Back to the old motto of only doing one thing, but doing it very well.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2012, 12:46 PM   #42
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post

For internet browsing, it performs like or better than an expensive laptop. Pages load almost instantly. It wakes up instantly, much like a tablet experience. No fan, no hard drive, so completely quiet. Typing is like typing on my hp work laptop.

I migrated my office documents to my Google Drive and converted them to the google formats. Most of my experience has been with the spreadsheets so far. I have really started appreciating having all my spreadsheets available on the cloud and no chance of losing them. Battery life seems great. Have been unplugged for a couple hours, and reports having 7 hours left.

I found my iPad great for internet browsing, like reading cp, news, sports etc. But when it came time to book travel, online banking, type long emails, it just didn't cut it. I have no need for anything additional a windows computer does any more. I think this actually makes a very nice complementary device to an Android or Apple tablet. The tablet for light browsing, games, videos. And the Chromebook for the more productive things.

Bottom line is, it never feels like you are using a cheap laptop. Back to the old motto of only doing one thing, but doing it very well.
Whats the desktop resolution? Whats the screen quality like out of 10? 10 being the best retina macbook pro retina display. 1 being an acer from 1995
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:18 PM   #43
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Curious how you managed to get your hands on that?
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #44
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brannigans Law View Post
Whats the desktop resolution? Whats the screen quality like out of 10? 10 being the best retina macbook pro retina display. 1 being an acer from 1995
1366 x 768 which is perfectly fine for the screen size. It is a matte screen, with no reflections. I personally prefer that to a glossy screen, but I'm sure others prefer the glossy look. Blacks and viewing angle are not on par with something like an ipad, but not bad. So I'd say around a 6 or 7.
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2012, 07:26 AM   #45
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Curious how you managed to get your hands on that?
Amazon. It said out of stock, but accepted orders. Took a couple weeks to arrive.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:08 PM   #46
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Chromebook stands alone, as Asus and Acer, the last of the classical netbook manufacturers, cease production of their netbook class devices in 2013:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology...ooks-dead-2013

It's a very curious article, because they talk about OLPC, but no mention of the Chromebook.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #47
renny
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

i wouldn't mind picking one of these up just to take notes at school. seems to be a better option than buying an ipad + keyboard that's for sure.

renny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:07 PM   #48
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by renny View Post
i wouldn't mind picking one of these up just to take notes at school. seems to be a better option than buying an ipad + keyboard that's for sure.
It does fill the middle ground between convenience of tablets and productivity of laptops. Would love to give this as a graduation gift for my sister when she goes to uni next year but no easy way of getting it into Canada... So disappointing.

Scribbled with the Note II
Old 02-21-2013, 12:23 PM   #49
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

The new high end Chromebook, the Chromebook Pixel was announced today. http://chrome.blogspot.com/2013/02/t...hats-next.html

Sounds pretty cool. Not something I'd ever spend the money on, but I am a big believer in this platform, and hope it furthers the development of Chrome OS.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #50
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The new high end Chromebook, the Chromebook Pixel was announced today. http://chrome.blogspot.com/2013/02/t...hats-next.html

Sounds pretty cool. Not something I'd ever spend the money on, but I am a big believer in this platform, and hope it furthers the development of Chrome OS.
Dayum. $1300 US

I just want to buy the Chromebook in Canada...
Old 03-19-2013, 07:27 AM   #51
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...B1-25-false%5D

The Chromebooks are finally coming to Canada.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2013, 07:32 AM   #52
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...B1-25-false%5D

The Chromebooks are finally coming to Canada.
Mvjsioanwbfiviknw! r=n vainf

In other words, I'm very excited. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2013, 10:35 AM   #53
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Awesome. i'm going to pick one up.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:18 AM   #54
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sweet! Where? When?
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 02:45 PM   #55
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red-Mile-DJ View Post
Sweet! Where? When?
The google play store in the US usually points you to who's selling it. Not sure if it that holds true for Canada now.
Old 03-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #56
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't wait for the Pixel to come.

https://play.google.com/store/device...ook_pixel_wifi

and be about $800 cheaper...
Old 03-19-2013, 08:25 PM   #57
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sweet! Where? When?
Bestbuy and Future shop already have it on their own website. April 5th it's available online. I hope in stores as well.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...d6822ead23en02

Edit: And the Playstore whenever they get around to updating for Canadian customers.

Last edited by Anduril; 03-19-2013 at 09:04 PM.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:07 PM   #58
RedMileDJ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

So solid state drive (16gb), which has a better processor and such, vs 320gb version that's a bit slower.

Uhhh. Why couldn't they make one with the better processor and stuff with a larger SSD?

Hmmm....
RedMileDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 11:41 PM   #59
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

You don't need large local storage with these devices because they basically exist in the cloud. Any documents you use would be stored on your Google drive. I don't see how you would ever use even 16gb with Chrome OS.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 06:46 AM   #60
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So solid state drive (16gb), which has a better processor and such, vs 320gb version that's a bit slower.

Uhhh. Why couldn't they make one with the better processor and stuff with a larger SSD?

Hmmm....
I don't know that processor speed makes a difference between the two. The SSD improves performance on the Samsung. I picked the Samsung because the combination of ARM, no fan, SSD means no moving parts, and very good battery life.

Like the above post, local storage is not really that useful on these. It includes 100 GB of google cloud storage. If you want one to use as an offline media player, you'll probably be disappointed, tablets are much better in that area right now. For everything else I do though, I love it. It is a fantastic internet surfing machine, and is pretty decent for home word processing and spreadsheet use. Once you've gotten used to working on your docs and spreadsheets in the cloud, there are a lot of advantages, and you'll never want to go back to archaic local apps and storage!