Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-29-2020, 07:23 AM   #1061
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
I still remember that match, hats off to Soderling for doing the impossible and shocking the world, he played an unreal match. That said I don't think I could ever re-watch it lol.
I vaguely remember the speculation at the time being knee problems, combined with parents divorcing? Did I just make that up in my mind?
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 12:36 PM   #1062
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I vaguely remember the speculation at the time being knee problems, combined with parents divorcing? Did I just make that up in my mind?
No your correct I think he had some knee issues that were acting up at that time, plus probably fatigue. He didn't end up playing Wimbledon that year as well.

Earlier that year in Rome, Nadal beat Soderling 6-0,6-1 but on that fateful day in Paris Soderling did the impossible.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 12:48 PM   #1063
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Re-watching the 2012 French Open final replay and man Djokovic was on another level that 3rd set, thankfully it rained that day and stopped his momentum. Also I've never seen a crowd so pro Djokovic and anti Nadal before.
Old 05-31-2020, 11:06 AM   #1064
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

NBC showing today the 09 French Open final where Federer finally won it all. Before that match tho right now they are showing the last set between Nadal and Soderling from 09.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2020, 04:00 PM   #1065
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
NBC showing today the 09 French Open final where Federer finally won it all. Before that match tho right now they are showing the last set between Nadal and Soderling from 09.
and he was basically one missed inside out forehand from not even being there. upon hearing of Rafa's upset, Fed just about yipped himself out of a career slam right after, if not for the most important shot of his life

Old 06-01-2020, 09:25 AM   #1066
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rafa week on TSN2 starts today.
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 10:45 AM   #1067
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
and he was basically one missed inside out forehand from not even being there. upon hearing of Rafa's upset, Fed just about yipped himself out of a career slam right after, if not for the most important shot of his life

I never knew he almost lost to Haas that would have been insane and he was also taken to 5 by Delpo in the semis. Federer felt the pressure knowing this was probably his only shot to win the French, but credit him for pulling through.

I was surprised he defeated Soderling so easily, I thought the match would have gone 5 seeing how strong Soderling was that tournament.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:35 AM   #1068
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Soderling wasn't his best in that final, was probably championship nervousness. he got his revenge on Fed the year after.

I think Fed should be allowed to cash in his 4 Finals loss tokens for one more Coupe des Mousquetaires. kind of like trading your Chuk e Cheese skee ball tickets for that sweet pencil sharpener.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 06:51 AM   #1069
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Soderling wasn't his best in that final, was probably championship nervousness. he got his revenge on Fed the year after.

I think Fed should be allowed to cash in his 4 Finals loss tokens for one more Coupe des Mousquetaires. kind of like trading your Chuk e Cheese skee ball tickets for that sweet pencil sharpener.
Only if Nadal can cash in his 4 Australian Open runner up tokens for one more Aussie Open title
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2020, 09:12 AM   #1070
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Felix shares a story of racial profiling that happened to his dad...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1267831637452054533
Old 06-02-2020, 11:30 AM   #1071
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1267845554576515079
The Following User Says Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2020, 02:11 PM   #1072
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched Ben live at the Odlum Brown tourney in Vancouver last summer and I was impressed with his game. Whether or not he can be a successful pro on the ATP tour is a tough call, but he certainly has the talent.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1268264901409193990
Old 06-03-2020, 07:13 PM   #1073
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rafa turns 34 today, crazy to think at his age he is still winning slams and finishing the year number one last year. Never would have guessed that when he was having knee and foot issues in his early 20s.
Old 06-05-2020, 09:14 AM   #1074
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Rafa turns 34 today, crazy to think at his age he is still winning slams and finishing the year number one last year. Never would have guessed that when he was having knee and foot issues in his early 20s.
long live the goats. see you at Wimbledon 2050.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2020, 09:15 AM   #1075
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Today is Bjorn Borg birthday, was a pretty good tennis player especially on clay and won the French Open and Wimbledon 3 straight years and finished with 6 French Open titles not bad.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2020, 01:19 PM   #1076
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Today is Bjorn Borg birthday, was a pretty good tennis player especially on clay and won the French Open and Wimbledon 3 straight years and finished with 6 French Open titles not bad.
I grew up watching Borg play. The ice man as they called him played against the up and coming and volitile John McEnroe in one of the greatest Wimbeldon finals in 1980. He retired at age 26 saying that he did not want to be #2 in the world. He could have been the greatest of all time had he not retired at such an early age.

Old 06-06-2020, 02:44 PM   #1077
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Two of the greatest grand slam final matches happened back-to-back 40 years ago in 1980, the Wimbledon final which featured that 4th set 18-16 tie-breaker and the US Open where Johnny Mac got his revenge winning in five sets after Borg rallied from two sets to love down.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2020, 03:02 PM   #1078
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for sharing, Borg was before my time but I've always heard people talk about him in the GOAT conversation. He won 11 grand slam titles before retiring at 26 BUT he only played the Australian Open once. I think Its crazy that people just didn't care about one of the Slams back then.

It's also crazy he retired so young because he didn't want to be 2nd best, imagine if Federer felt the same way as Borg he would have retired after the 09 Australian Open or Nadal in 2015.
Old 06-06-2020, 05:27 PM   #1079
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Two of the greatest grand slam final matches happened back-to-back 40 years ago in 1980, the Wimbledon final which featured that 4th set 18-16 tie-breaker and the US Open where Johnny Mac got his revenge winning in five sets after Borg rallied from two sets to love down.
Sadly Borg left the court before the awards ceremony in that US Open final. It was the first sign that his nerves of steel had cracked. IIRC he said back then that he knew the McEnroe was going to be #1 for some time. It was the beginning of the end to a very short career.

Quote:
Björn Borg was a rock ‘n roll star draped in tennis clothes.

His massive appeal, based not only on his extraordinary tennis ability, but on his good looks and shy manner, made him a worldwide tennis teen idol. “He was like the Beatles for God’s sake,” said Ingrid Lofdahl-Bentzer, a close Borg friend.

Borg polarized tennis in the 1970s. Known as the “ice man” for his frosty temperament on court – never, ever letting his opponent get a hint of what was boiling inside him – Borg was the epitome of cool. Everything from the way he walked onto the court, to his long hair that flowed to his shoulders, to the headbands he always wore, to his Donnay racquet that featured a longer leather handle to accommodate his two-handed backhand, created hysteria.
Quote:
He was tennis’s biggest drawing card. It was called “Borgmania.”

You’d have to search sporting annals long and hard to find an athlete in any sport that rose to meteoric heights like Borg, an 11-time major singles champion in just seven years (1974-81), who dramatically stunned and shocked the tennis world by retiring at age 26. Even in such a short time span, Borg left an indelible legacy on tennis history. He won six French Open championships (second best in history behind Rafael Nadal’s 11) and four consecutively (1978-81). Borg dominated Wimbledon like no other player since Willie Renshaw did when he won six straight championships (1881-1886), capturing five consecutive titles from 1976 to 1980, his five-set marathon victory over John McEnroe in 1980 considered one of the greatest tennis matches in history. Borg’s five titles at Wimbledon are the third highest in history behind Roger Federer (eight titles) and Pete Sampras (seven titles).
https://www.tennisfame.com/hall-of-f...ees/bjorn-borg

Last edited by Dion; 06-06-2020 at 05:30 PM.
Dion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dion For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2020, 08:19 AM   #1080
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Since June is Pride Month I wanted to talk about a tennis player that really no one talks about Gottfried von Cramm. He played in the 30s for Germany and Hitler tried to use him as an example of Aryan superiority but he never supported the Nazis. He would win the French Open twice in the 30s but would be arrested by the German government for being a homosexual and having an affair with a Jewish man. He was so popular at that time that Don Budge and the King of Sweden had sent letters to Hitler to let him go and he was released after 6 months in prison. Just pretty crazy to think about he was that popular in Germany that during the time Nazis were in power he could admit to having an affair with a Jewish man and not get killed. He would make the Wimbledon finals and the US Open finals a bunch of times but would never win those. There's also a story how Hitler called him before his Davis Cup finals match and said his life depended on the match.

I found it a super interesting story you can check out his wiki page here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gottfried_von_Cramm

Here is also a Vice article that summarizes his story much better than me lol

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/a...mbledon-forgot

Last edited by Nadal Fan; 06-08-2020 at 08:26 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post: