Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-06-2021, 08:25 AM   #1
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:
Default U of C professor killed in bear attack near Waiparous

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...IRTha2NFDYzKt8

Quote:
Alberta Fish and Wildlife has confirmed 59-year-old University of Calgary professor David Lertzman was killed in a bear attack off Moss Trail near Waiparous Creek on Tuesday evening.

“He was really a beautiful, unique, marvellous human being,” Jim Dewald, dean of the U of C’s Haskayne School of Business said.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 09:01 AM   #2
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

I worked with David at Haskayne...huge loss

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Fozzie_DeBear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fozzie_DeBear For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 09:48 AM   #3
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

That’s really tragic. I’m sorry for his friends and family.

Bears are waking up from their long winters nap now, folks - they’re going to be very hungry and/or have new Cubs with them.

Protect yourselves and them if you’re going to the mountains.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:59 AM   #4
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bears scare the hell out of me.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 10:04 AM   #5
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Always really sad when this happens. Spring time bears are the most dangerous. I don’t see what kind of Bear it is but I would suspect it’s a male black bear which in spring time can be predatory.

For those going hiking in spring remember there have been 0 bear fatalities when people hike in tight groups of 4. Carry bear spray and practice with it (either expired cans or tester cans) before going out.

If a bear attacks you and is not a female with Cubs the likely best course is fighting back and not playing dead.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 10:19 AM   #6
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Based on location, I assume it was a black bear.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:20 PM   #7
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Very sad. Sounds like he was a really unique and genuine person who transferred his love of nature to many others, he will definitely be missed.

Once again another example of the fragility of life.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:26 PM   #8
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Always really sad when this happens. Spring time bears are the most dangerous. I don’t see what kind of Bear it is but I would suspect it’s a male black bear which in spring time can be predatory.

For those going hiking in spring remember there have been 0 bear fatalities when people hike in tight groups of 4. Carry bear spray and practice with it (either expired cans or tester cans) before going out.

If a bear attacks you and is not a female with Cubs the likely best course is fighting back and not playing dead.
Exercise caution when doing this. My son managed to inadvertently bear spray his grandma (my mom) when practicing with an expired can last summer, lol. Largely due to swirling wind conditions but still...

Speaking of which, if that was how strong it is when "expired" I really wouldnt want to see the effect of a new can.
Old 05-06-2021, 01:32 PM   #9
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyshep View Post
Exercise caution when doing this. My son managed to inadvertently bear spray his grandma (my mom) when practicing with an expired can last summer, lol. Largely due to swirling wind conditions but still...

Speaking of which, if that was how strong it is when "expired" I really wouldnt want to see the effect of a new can.
Hah. My nephew and I did the same thing last year. Just got a whiff of it from the wind and my eyes were on fire and he couldn't stop coughing. I'm not going to be in such a hurry to discard an expired can anymore and this can was expired since 2015.
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:39 PM   #10
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't think the strength change is the issue, it's the potential loss of propellant. Which would be pretty awkward at the time of attempted use. *cue price is right horn*
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 02:00 PM   #11
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

You can buy inert cans at Canadian Tire. I bought one a few weeks ago and each one of my family tested it out to get a feel for using it. It has way better range than I would have thought.

So sad about the professor. RIP.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 03:29 PM   #12
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

About 10 years ago I got a call from the cops that one of my foster kids was at the hospital having been bear sprayed full on in the face, it really effed him up, couldn't see properly for weeks, couple of days later he admitted he was so drunk he was holding the can backwards and had dosed himself full on in the face while trying to rob/threaten a drug dealer from a rival gang, I laughed my arse off!!!

the kids a code monkey now and doing ok so all's well that ends well.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 03:45 PM   #13
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

12ga is the only answer in the backcountry... Bear spray is OK, but not nearly as effective in protecting life. Flame away
Envitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 03:46 PM   #14
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

MOD EDIT: Insensitive joke removed.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 03:54 PM   #15
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
12ga is the only answer in the backcountry... Bear spray is OK, but not nearly as effective in protecting life. Flame away
I've had multiple encounters in the back country and have used bear spray on three occasions. Each time it worked like a charm. You don't need a shotgun. The risk is tremendous to yourself and the animal.

FWIW, hiking in groups of 3 or more is your best protection against bears.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 04:02 PM   #16
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I went to junior and high school with David. Incredibly funny and energetic guy back then. Didn't even know he was here in Calgary but found out about his death yesterday on social media. As sad as it is, I'm glad to hear that he seems to have had a profound impact on a great number of people. Lertz will be missed.
D as in David is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 04:14 PM   #17
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I've had multiple encounters in the back country and have used bear spray on three occasions. Each time it worked like a charm. You don't need a shotgun. The risk is tremendous to yourself and the animal.

FWIW, hiking in groups of 3 or more is your best protection against bears.
I always carry both, with bear spray on my belt or pack belt, and with my compact shotgun in a scabbard on my pack, easily reachable within <1 second. If a bear is charging or bluff charging me I know which one I'm pulling out first, just in case. I don't play around out there, especially when my kids are with me and their lives depend on me keeping them safe.

Have never had to use it, but I've had a few close run-ins with grizzlies in my teens and was lucky to get away with my life.

Anyway, I don't want this thread to be derailed.

It's a tragedy that this man, who by all accounts was a great guy, lost his life in this incident.
Old 05-06-2021, 04:16 PM   #18
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I always carry both, with bear spray on my belt or pack belt, and with my compact shotgun in a scabbard on my pack, easily reachable within <1 second. If a bear is charging or bluff charging me I know which one I'm pulling out first, just in case. I don't play around out there, especially when my kids are with me and their lives depend on me keeping them safe.

Have never had to use it, but I've had a few close run-ins with grizzlies in my teens and was lucky to get away with my life.

It's a tragedy that this man, who by all accounts was a great guy, lost his life in this incident.
You are going to pull a compact shotgun (pistol grip or folding stock) out in front of your kids? You are going to add a firearm to a chaotic situation with multiple people running around and an angry bear? If that gun has a pistol grip, you are looking at a 6 foot effective range - which is much much less than bear spray. Plus if you are firing a slug, you aren't guaranteed a critical hit. If you are firing buckshot, well, you aren't going to stop that bear. If you have a folding stock, it is going to take much longer to deploy than your bear spray.

Trust me when I say that the bear spray is your best option. You should learn a bit about bear behaviour (if a bear is bluff charging, it is most likely your fault), keep your bear spray, and leave the gun at home.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 04:25 PM   #19
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Having shot an animal in my past it highlighted one thing to me. It doesnt usually stop them very quickly. There is a high chance that a bear will continue to charge even if you are lucky/skilled enough to hit them with a firearm in that type of scenario. Bear spray would be my go to option.

For reference...

https://www.outsideonline.com/242243...essons-learned
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 04:29 PM   #20
Envitro
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
You are going to pull a compact shotgun (pistol grip or folding stock) out in front of your kids? You are going to add a firearm to a chaotic situation with multiple people running around and an angry bear? If that gun has a pistol grip, you are looking at a 6 foot effective range - which is much much less than bear spray. Plus if you are firing a slug, you aren't guaranteed a critical hit. If you are firing buckshot, well, you aren't going to stop that bear. If you have a folding stock, it is going to take much longer to deploy than your bear spray.

Trust me when I say that the bear spray is your best option. You should learn a bit about bear behaviour (if a bear is bluff charging, it is most likely your fault), keep your bear spray, and leave the gun at home.
Good thing you know know me so well, or my proficiency with said tools.
I train with a firearm more often than some SWAT teams do.

I've hit 2" targets with a 1oz slug on a regular basis at 75-100 yards with no issues. I'm not concerned with my ability to hit a target under pressure, since that's what I train for almost every day.

Not sure where you got your 6 foot effective range from. Even with target/bird shot you're still looking at 35-45 yards effective range (on birds or clays), and I'd never carry that in the wilderness with me for the purpose of bear protection.

Slugs are the only way to go, or 00 buck if you want a bit more spread for "in your face" scenarios.

Honestly, not sure what the comment about pulling out a shotgun in front of my kids has anything to do with this. They have a healthy respect for firearms and know what they are, and what they're not.

On the bluff charge, I'd rather be pointing a firearm in case it turned out to not be a bluff (since you can't always know either way), than get run over and get mauled.

Any time I've had a bear encounter in my adult years I've almost always seen them coming for miles, and always wait for them to pass, or give them a wide berth and go a different route. Please don't lecture me on this topic. I probably spend more time in the wilderness than 90% of people out there. And because I do, I know I'm in a higher risk category than the average person, so I take the necessary precautions to keep myself and those with me safe.

Every person's safety is their own responsibility. If you're comfortable carrying nothing, then go ahead. If you want to only carry bear spray, go for it.
I choose to go over and above that when allowed to do so.

Last edited by Envitro; 05-06-2021 at 04:41 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Envitro For This Useful Post: