Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2021, 08:56 AM   #2681
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I managed to escape the rain yesterday but only got in a quick 20+km ride. That north wind was bitter.

We've had a pretty great spring season so far though. I've already got 2000+km outside compared to 1000+ last year. Even though I think Velominati is BS, I have tried to HTFU this year to get out for colder rides. I still won't ride if it's already raining. I just hate constantly cleaning my bike.
Dang you doin' good Ktrain then!! nice.
Yeah Velominati is just for laughs and vague references almost nobody gets.
Like you, I *hate* getting wet... and won't ride if it's already raining. It's weird... I don't mind occassionally cleaning the bike and making things clean, shiny, smooth, etc... but purposely going out when it's greasy and muddy just doesn't seem right.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2021, 09:44 AM   #2682
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

k-train that is some solid mileage thus far this season.

if you leave your house when it is already raining your are a cycling bad@$$. Getting caught in the rain is more about you being a victim of circumstance.

But yeah, i hate a dirty bike in general. I hate mtn biking when conditions are soft or there are unexpected greasy sections. The mud can really get caked in there and the trail damage - facepalmmy riding over the enxt two weeks will be severly limited as i have two home reno projects i would like to clear up by the may long weekend so i am going to focus my efforts on those
Old 05-03-2021, 10:15 AM   #2683
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I managed to escape the rain yesterday but only got in a quick 20+km ride. That north wind was bitter.

We've had a pretty great spring season so far though. I've already got 2000+km outside compared to 1000+ last year. Even though I think Velominati is BS, I have tried to HTFU this year to get out for colder rides. I still won't ride if it's already raining. I just hate constantly cleaning my bike.
Nice totals so far this year, I always find it tough after it warms up for a few days in the spring to go back out once it gets colder again, plus once I get outside it's near impossible to get back on Zwift till winter
Old 05-03-2021, 10:36 AM   #2684
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
Nice totals so far this year, I always find it tough after it warms up for a few days in the spring to go back out once it gets colder again, plus once I get outside it's near impossible to get back on Zwift till winter
I think I've done a few rides on Zwift since heading outside. Other than a race I did, I was bored out of my mind. I'm sure I'll be fine with it again when the weather turns in the late fall but I'd be happy not to go on it till then. But I'm trying to ride every day for a little bit so if we get weeks for rain I might not have a choice but to get on the trainer some days.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 11:30 AM   #2685
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

A little Monday laugh for the mountain bikers. New brand of "rim" brakes.

Spoilered for a butt.

Spoiler!
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2021, 11:56 AM   #2686
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The ol' clincher brakes.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2021, 10:10 PM   #2687
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Got out for a beautiful ride tonight, took a wrong turn and ended up doing an extra 40km, but it was so nice out I figured I’d keep going, missed all the rain, couple roads were damp but that was the extent of it.
Awesome time of year before the bugs really come out
Old 05-04-2021, 11:28 AM   #2688
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icantwhisper View Post
Got out for a beautiful ride tonight, took a wrong turn and ended up doing an extra 40km, but it was so nice out I figured I’d keep going, missed all the rain, couple roads were damp but that was the extent of it.
Awesome time of year before the bugs really come out
It's southern Alberta. Do the bugs ever really come out here? I grew up in Northern Alberta so I barely notice them.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2021, 12:17 PM   #2689
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
It's southern Alberta. Do the bugs ever really come out here? I grew up in Northern Alberta so I barely notice them.
Well.... compared to northern Alberta I suppose no. But we reserve the right to complain about bugs anyways. I took a bee off the helmet last week. Already had our first dead mozzie inside the house. Plus had several mozzies clustered on our window mesh. I hate bugs. My years of working in the northern Alberta bush only made me less tolerant.
Old 05-06-2021, 06:21 PM   #2690
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

With today’s wind I really questioned why I picked cycling over jogging... that is until the wind was at my back.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Timbo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 05:02 PM   #2691
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Road my gravel bike north up Nosecreek midday'ish today... from Memorial to Fox Hollow OMG the massive swarms of big bugs were insane. Usually it's not too bad until the fall, but yowza this was the worst I've ever experienced. We need a hard freeze to kill these satan spawn!! aaaaaaaargh!
Old 05-07-2021, 05:14 PM   #2692
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo View Post
With today’s wind I really questioned why I picked cycling over jogging... that is until the wind was at my back.
Yes, when I turn around, I basically have the same reaction as little Forrest Gump when he broke out of his leg braces...
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 05:50 PM   #2693
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Road my gravel bike north up Nosecreek midday'ish today... from Memorial to Fox Hollow OMG the massive swarms of big bugs were insane. Usually it's not too bad until the fall, but yowza this was the worst I've ever experienced. We need a hard freeze to kill these satan spawn!! aaaaaaaargh!
I have ate more bugs this spring. I think we might be getting a bumper crop of bugs this year.

Being the ever optimist I always think Free Lunch!
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:17 PM   #2694
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can anyone recommend a good option for a garage bike storage system?
Have 3 bikes, would like to ensure space for 4, or easy expandability.
Thank you!
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 06:25 PM   #2695
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I use Steadyrack. I have 10 bikes up in a 10 foot space. I have them staggered to maximize space. I copied Remy Metailler how he setup his steadyracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnP9SpvJcMg&t=4s

Minute 6 he goes into how he put his up.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 06:42 PM   #2696
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

Another vote for SteadyRack. I have 4 still in the box that I’m hoping to put up in the next couple weeks...
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames0910 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 08:34 PM   #2697
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

So I’ve had my radwagon for a couple of months now and have put on over 400 kms already. 90% of that has been with my two boys (75 lbs) over the rear wheel here are my thoughts.

Things I’ve noticed. It’s heavy and a bit clunky. Nothing to lose sleep over but a small amount of shock absorption would go a long way. Sometimes you tend to really feel the small bumps on the path like tree root heaves.

The brakes are ok but I reckon hydraulic would be a better option for a ride so heavy. I still hit hills all the time and it isn’t an issue but I tend to use them a lot when I’m fully loaded with the boys. I can see a lot of brake pad swaps over this bikes lifetime.

Battery life is perfect for me. I can comfortably get 30 kms out of it using the highest level of assist. From my place near westbrook mall, I can head downtown and back with comfort and barely use up a bar of power if I’m on assist 2or3 of 5.

Climbing a hill like 17th Ave to west side Rec is a breeze. Steep Hill climbing (edworthy road) is still a bit of a chore, a 750 w hub would be better than the 500 it comes with but it’s still a workout to do it given only 7 gears. I haven’t been defeated by a hill yet so that’s been nice. I still manage to pass people going up and it’s always fun to hear them curse out the battery as I go by. To add insult my 2 and 5 yr olds always throw shade from the back of the bike as we pass people. It’s hilarious.

I am so very happy with the purchase. It was a large investment for me but I can say without a doubt that I would have maybe ridden 25km maximum on my old bike at this point in the season. . The bike is fun to ride so I actively look for reasons to head out on it. My kids love it, i enjoy it and I’m hoping it helps me keep a bit fitter.

Ebikes change lives. It has been better than I imagined.

I recently ponied up for the only bike rack that will work for my cargo bike so I am looking fwd to exploring more of what this city has to offer as well as our mountain parks this summer.

Cant wait to get further out there .

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 10:50 PM   #2698
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
So I’ve had my radwagon for a couple of months now and have put on over 400 kms already. 90% of that has been with my two boys (75 lbs) over the rear wheel here are my thoughts.

Things I’ve noticed. It’s heavy and a bit clunky. Nothing to lose sleep over but a small amount of shock absorption would go a long way. Sometimes you tend to really feel the small bumps on the path like tree root heaves.

The brakes are ok but I reckon hydraulic would be a better option for a ride so heavy. I still hit hills all the time and it isn’t an issue but I tend to use them a lot when I’m fully loaded with the boys. I can see a lot of brake pad swaps over this bikes lifetime.

Battery life is perfect for me. I can comfortably get 30 kms out of it using the highest level of assist. From my place near westbrook mall, I can head downtown and back with comfort and barely use up a bar of power if I’m on assist 2or3 of 5.

Climbing a hill like 17th Ave to west side Rec is a breeze. Steep Hill climbing (edworthy road) is still a bit of a chore, a 750 w hub would be better than the 500 it comes with but it’s still a workout to do it given only 7 gears. I haven’t been defeated by a hill yet so that’s been nice. I still manage to pass people going up and it’s always fun to hear them curse out the battery as I go by. To add insult my 2 and 5 yr olds always throw shade from the back of the bike as we pass people. It’s hilarious.

I am so very happy with the purchase. It was a large investment for me but I can say without a doubt that I would have maybe ridden 25km maximum on my old bike at this point in the season. . The bike is fun to ride so I actively look for reasons to head out on it. My kids love it, i enjoy it and I’m hoping it helps me keep a bit fitter.

Ebikes change lives. It has been better than I imagined.

I recently ponied up for the only bike rack that will work for my cargo bike so I am looking fwd to exploring more of what this city has to offer as well as our mountain parks this summer.

Cant wait to get further out there .

I hate you!!!

In all seriousness, whatever gets people out on bikes is fine with me.
Old 05-08-2021, 09:08 AM   #2699
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The best park of an Ebike is its a car replacement not a bike replacement.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2021, 11:49 AM   #2700
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

That's a great report. Glad to hear you're enjoying as well as being a great example for your kids who also get to experience the fun and adventure of being outdoors.

What options do you have to take the edge off the bumps?
Things I can think of:
- tire pressure (in the front, not the back otherwise you'll get pinch flats)

- fork changeout
- carbon seatpost & bars
- bigger cushier grips, the "wing" style ones work great
The Following User Says Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post: