Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-06-2021, 01:22 PM   #3101
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay, is SCR a ponzi? This thing seems to be dropping 10% by the week. What is going on over there? The CEO has sounded like a greasy buggar for some time but man this is annoying.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 08:14 PM   #3102
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

I think SCR just hit the timing right to catch the massive amount of speculative cash that poured into the market last fall. It's probably still a good stock, but the valuation just caught a tiger by the tail and has been getting mauled since it decided to turn around. I've been watching them for ages and never pulled the trigger for just this reason, telling myself I wouldn't unless they dipped below $2 again ($20 now). I don't think this was ever about the company's fundamentals.

Speaking of fundamentals, should I be selling all my Enbridge stock tomorrow? It's been on a steady rise for months, but this Line 5 business looks bad and I'm not convinced it's priced in already.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 08:30 PM   #3103
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

With enbridge you are making a bet that the courts won’t enforce an order from Michigan to shut down the pipeline because the governor doesn’t have jurisdiction.

I would say that the risk is priced in but it will rank of shutdown and rise if no injunction. It’s Schrodingers Pipeline.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 09:10 PM   #3104
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

With all the talk of expensive building materials I picked up some STLC about a month ago. That was a fun +40% in month. wish I was on to that a little earlier, they are like 9x in past 9 months.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 09:37 PM   #3105
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice one!!
Old 05-07-2021, 07:41 AM   #3106
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
With enbridge you are making a bet that the courts won’t enforce an order from Michigan to shut down the pipeline because the governor doesn’t have jurisdiction.

I would say that the risk is priced in but it will rank of shutdown and rise if no injunction. It’s Schrodingers Pipeline.

That's a good way of putting it

I decided to hedge a bit - unloaded 75% of my ENB holdings this morning. Will look to buy in again if it drops and - if not - will hope it continues its slow and steady gains so I don't miss out on any surges.

Otherwise I'm noticing gold continuing to move up a bit, and the big dividend stocks too. Hard to find a good one paying over 7% now. People getting increasingly conservative as this pandemic lumbers on and threatens the summer maybe.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 01:01 AM   #3107
Reggie28
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Does anyone here have experience with prescribed loans?

With a prescribed loan you can set up an investment account for a child, funded by a loan from the parent. The current rate is 1% (Bank of Canada rate rounded up). $100 per year for every 10k borrowed. The child then invests the money, makes a return and files income tax. Your 1 year old now has income, dividends and possibly capital gains to report.

I would like to do this for my nieces and nephew. Anyone else doing something like this?

Last edited by Reggie28; 05-08-2021 at 01:39 AM. Reason: Clarity.
Reggie28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 09:02 AM   #3108
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie28 View Post
Does anyone here have experience with prescribed loans?

With a prescribed loan you can set up an investment account for a child, funded by a loan from the parent. The current rate is 1% (Bank of Canada rate rounded up). $100 per year for every 10k borrowed. The child then invests the money, makes a return and files income tax. Your 1 year old now has income, dividends and possibly capital gains to report.

I would like to do this for my nieces and nephew. Anyone else doing something like this?
One thing you need to do (my experience is with spousal loans) is physically have them pay you the interest on the loans. So at the end of each year they must pay you the 1%. You then must claim the 1% as taxable income. Since the child doesn’t have income you would have to sell a portion of the investment each year to pay the interest which would trigger capital gains.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 09:09 AM   #3109
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarly View Post
It's not an uncommon thing to happen. I've seen it before for news releases like acquisitions (happened just yesterday for another one I'm in, GDNP), or shares being added through a bought deal (which is what happened with RECO, but I've seen it with others before too)

I'm long on RECO, been around since Aug 2020 @ $0.70

but I'm not a financing guy or anything, I also bought GME @ over $400
Nice one!
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 10:07 AM   #3110
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
One thing you need to do (my experience is with spousal loans) is physically have them pay you the interest on the loans. So at the end of each year they must pay you the 1%. You then must claim the 1% as taxable income. Since the child doesn’t have income you would have to sell a portion of the investment each year to pay the interest which would trigger capital gains.
Or pick an investment that distributes at least 1% per year in dividend (or other) income.

Getting income into the hands of someone with a 0% (or at least lower) tax rate is the point of the strategy, so having some taxable income every year is logical.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 05-10-2021, 09:55 AM   #3111
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone buying PLTR at $18 today?
Phaneufenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:05 AM   #3112
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

PLTR is a long term play assuming it is the massive growth stock some say it will be. Getting in at $18 or $22 doesn't mean much if you expect the stock to go to the moon. For day trading, maybe maybe not I gave up trying to predict the market short term. Tech stocks in generally are getting rekt but COIN is up 7% for example, a stock that was supposed to IPO and go up from there. So far it's way off the IPO price.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:23 PM   #3113
IGGYRULES
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Yes, although I bought some at $11, so have already sold about half in the 40s. Trying to figure out if I should keep letting it ride or just take the profits and consider it a success. It's had quite a run.

Is everyone here who has ADN holding on or cutting bait? I'm on the fence.
Still in ADN. Haven't sold any of it. All growth/spec taking a hit. I keep thinking the bottom is in .
IGGYRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IGGYRULES For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2021, 01:42 PM   #3114
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ugh, CBDT is going down as the worst purchase of the last 5+ years. Why was it pumped so hard on here? Any reason to stay in it?

I got caught up and caught the falling knife.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:51 PM   #3115
vegasbound
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

All my tech stocks took a huge hit today. My commodities were okay but woof on tech.
vegasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:59 PM   #3116
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
Ugh, CBDT is going down as the worst purchase of the last 5+ years. Why was it pumped so hard on here? Any reason to stay in it?

If there's "DD" being posted about a ticker nonstop on reddit, I stay away. Like clockwork those stocks are about to tank or have been tanking from their ATH which hit a week or two prior (and all those redditors posting "DD" are just bagholders trying to pump it back up).

This is why I stay the hell away from PLTR. I don't even know what it is, but reddit has been littered with it for weeks so I'm going to follow my rule and avoid it.
The Fonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:01 PM   #3117
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

CLOV was another one that reddit wouldn't shut up about last week, and it's down 25% since April 29.
The Fonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:11 PM   #3118
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post

Hope for growth, I am in the same situation, im down over 50% and in way too deep. Everyone says its a long term play so i guess we just hold and hope haha
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:20 PM   #3119
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
CLOV was another one that reddit wouldn't shut up about last week, and it's down 25% since April 29.
Still holding the bag on it.
Old 05-10-2021, 04:29 PM   #3120
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think all this is just indicative of the the rotation from tech/growth into value and commodities. Everything tech seems to be lagging, while all things like Uranium, Oil Agriculture etc. are roaring. Hell my best performer this week has been a coal stock (BTU). Up 46% over the last 5 days.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote