Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-05-2021, 12:25 PM   #381
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think there is a zero chance this particular judge grants a new trial, or a mistrial or anything close. Not sure where that leaves the defence.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 03:02 PM   #382
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I don't think its this judge that decides that. Wouldn't it be reviewed independent of the presiding judge.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:00 PM   #383
jar_e
Franchise Player

Exp:

FWIW, The question specifically mentioned if they had attended any protest in Minneapolis…the juror in question went to one in DC. Odd to have such a specific location for a question but it appears he didn’t lie.
jar_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 06:15 PM   #384
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar_e View Post
FWIW, The question specifically mentioned if they had attended any protest in Minneapolis…the juror in question went to one in DC. Odd to have such a specific location for a question but it appears he didn’t lie.
these were the questions:

Quote:
Mitchell said he answered "no" to two questions in the juror questionnaire sent out before jury selection that asked about participation in demonstrations.

The first question asked, "Did you, or someone close to you, participate in any of the demonstrations or marches against police brutality that took place in Minneapolis after George Floyd's death?"

The second asked, "Other than what you have already described above, have you, or anyone close to you, participated in protests about police use of force or police brutality?"
https://www.startribune.com/chauvin-...ces/600053102/

The question is whether he should have simply disclosed his participation in the MLK march in DC, especially in light of Floyd's brother and sister addressing the crowd about introducing new legislation on the police use of force.

Its not up to him to determine bias; jurors are required to disclose and let the attorneys and jurist decide if that is grounds for dismissal from jury duty

Chauvin deserves to rot in solitary and I don't want him to get off because of some technicality that should have been obviously disclosed.

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 05-05-2021 at 06:17 PM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oldschoolcalgary For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2021, 08:16 PM   #385
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are we worried about appeals? I mean I get why he is doing them. But I think the evidence speaks for itself. I don’t think a new trial returns a different verdict.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2021, 11:25 PM   #386
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Maybe not Weitz, and as repugnant a human being he is, he does have a right to what amounts to a impartial jury and a fair trial.

With the political influence, with a juror that seems to have lied and went into the trial with his mind made up, he does have an absolute right to appeal it.

If he's going to be convicted on all three charges its best to make sure that it was done the right way so there's no question.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:38 PM   #387
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
The question is whether he should have simply disclosed his participation in the MLK march in DC, especially in light of Floyd's brother and sister addressing the crowd about introducing new legislation on the police use of force.
While the march did coincide with MLK's speech anniversary, August 28, the actual march was literally the "Get your knee off our necks!" commitment march.

https://nationalactionnetwork.net/re...off-our-necks/

Quote:
Instigated from the protest movement that has risen up since the police killing of George Floyd, the ‘Get Off Our Necks’ Commitment March on Washington will be a day of action that will demonstrate our commitment to fighting for policing and criminal justice.

The Commitment March will take place on August 28th 2020 — the 57th anniversary of the historical March on Washington, where Martin Luther King Jr. delivered his “I Have a Dream” speech.
I mean, maybe somehow someone could be so oblivious that they thought it was just about MLK despite the chanting about police brutality, the addresses from many families of victims of police shooting, reverend Sharpton explicitly discussing police brutality and the like, I mean you would need to be nearly blind and deaf, but maybe someone is that stupid.

Until you wear a shirt with the name of the march on it. There's just no excuse, the guy knowingly and purposely lied so he could go out and do some interviews and make a name for himself.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:57 PM   #388
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Are we worried about appeals? I mean I get why he is doing them. But I think the evidence speaks for itself. I don’t think a new trial returns a different verdict.
I would agree that the evidence speaks for itself, and that this alone likely doesn't result in a full new trial.

However, have you seen what's happening in the States? Evidence doesn't matter. People believe Floyd either deserved it or would have died anyways and independent of Chauvin's presence. Probably don't look if you have a heart condition cause I know my blood pressure increases whenever I stumble upon these ghouls.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Conservativ...suspended_for/

>To be fair he’d probably still OD’d.
>>Right? He could have not done fentanyl, not done meth, not used counterfeit money, not resisted arrest....so many chances to not be a piece of #### but NOOOOOOO

These are the top comments in support of an Alaskan teacher who said Floyd would be alive if he complied. This wasn't cherry picking, this post was the second link for that subreddit. And even though it's r/conservative, it's still people willing to go to reddit and haven't gone off to parler wherever.

All it takes is Mitchell's counterpart, someone who is willing to lie and say they aren't rocking their thin-blue-line shirts all the time with their MAGA hats to make it on the jury for a new trial to go sideways.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 08:29 AM   #389
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Grand jury indicts 4 former Minneapolis officers on civil rights charges in George Floyd's death

https://abc7chicago.com/grand-jury-i...eath/10593341/
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2021, 01:31 PM   #390
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sentence being handed down today.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 01:46 PM   #391
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched the statements and it is a tough situation for everyone involved but his mother's statement seemed very out of place and weak. It was rather sickening really.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2021, 01:48 PM   #392
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I watched the statements and it is a tough situation for everyone involved but his mother's statement seemed very out of place and weak. It was rather sickening really.

What did she say?
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 01:50 PM   #393
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
What did she say?
Pretty much said she's losing a son today, and the judge when he sentences Chauvin is sentencing her as well.
Old 06-25-2021, 01:55 PM   #394
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like 22 years.
Old 06-25-2021, 01:57 PM   #395
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

22.5 years. Minus 199 days for time served.
Cannot have firearms or explosives for the rest of his life
Registered as a violent offender
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2021, 01:58 PM   #396
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
What did she say?
Here is her statement:

https://www.nbcnews.com/video/derek-...g-115486789968
Old 06-25-2021, 02:06 PM   #397
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure what the consensus is on the length of the term but I think I'm okay with it, honestly.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2021, 02:13 PM   #398
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems about right. Or right as it can be I guess.
Old 06-25-2021, 02:19 PM   #399
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

The prosecution was asking for 30 years and the usual sentence for this in Minnesota is 15 years, so 22.5 years splits the difference I guess.

The defense was asking for probation!
Old 06-25-2021, 02:43 PM   #400
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Last cop to be convicted of murder got 12 years. This sets a precedent in the state.