Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2020, 05:25 PM   #61
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Or part of the process is all teams in that area stay in the same hotel. I am sure teams would trade not flying with staying in a hotel. I think Burke said the teams typically pay about 30k per hour of travel.
Plus, they could literally quarantine them in the hotel without worry about outside infections. It's not like anyone is lining up to fill hotel rooms right now. They would likely welcome the business.

I still don't think it's a good idea until there is effective management. Enough young people have died that it's a risk, even though it's a remote one. Can you imagine the legal implications for the league if it asked players to do this and then someone got sick and died?

No, I think it makes sense to start the league late in the year if and when there are verified effective treatments in place.
Old 04-22-2020, 05:32 PM   #62
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sounds like all teams and staff, and officials would be in hotels, all persons involved quarantined.

Bettman on Fan960 right now, interview with Ron McLean.

Lots of scenarios on the table and they're changing every day.
Back to Play Plan
-regular season finish whole, partial or just a play off all on the table whatever they do has have integrity
-Can play into the summer
-Start 20/21 later
-Tow health concerns, Covid and player injuries, play re have not been on skates in weeks (although stories of players in Sweeden skating in groups skates.
-Would need 4 NHL arenas to come back with a centralized schedule, need NHL locker rooms, practice facilities etc.... Would have to follow local health/ governments recommendations and practices.
-Step one, players training camp, 3 weeks
-Still looking at doing the draft as scheduled and realizes there'd be a to of issues, also looking at doing the draft at a later date. Issues of both sides of the equation, lots of input from the club bs on this subject.
-No revenues coming in right now, bulk of TV revenue associated with playoffs although is paid to the league over the course of the regular season. League would have to credit TV towards next yar if no playoffs.
-McLean threw out 34% escrow if season and playoffs cancelled.
-Lots of conversations with Donald Fehr of the NHLPA on this subject
Old 04-22-2020, 05:34 PM   #63
standinmotion
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I wonder what people do during a normal hockey off-season to pass the time.
Golf!

(If you don't get the reference, that's okay)
Old 04-22-2020, 05:53 PM   #64
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

As I read through this thread...wow...it still blows my mind that this is all happening. It's still just unreal to me that this virus has shut down the world. Crazy, crazy times.
Old 04-22-2020, 05:59 PM   #65
The Hendog
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hopefully the Flames secure the fantasyland hotel!!!

Johnny and Monny can share the Western theme room! Yahoo!
The Following User Says Thank You to The Hendog For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 06:21 PM   #66
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
If a Canadian team is in the playoffs I have a hard time believing that people won't be filling the streets after every win.
Don't worry, the refs/game mgmt will be on a mission to end the Canadian club runs as quickly as possible.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:23 PM   #67
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie28 View Post
It would be cool, but I’m pretty sure my girlfriend would leave me.
Probably.

But there is always another bus, my friend.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:26 PM   #68
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

As much as it sucks balls, it's time to pull the plug on this season and focus on plans for 20-21. I suspect the entirety of next season will be played in front of empty arenas, and we won't see any crowds in NA sports until 2021.

Might as well start getting used to that ####ty idea now.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 06:28 PM   #69
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is the league in such a precarious financial position that cancelling the season could result in teams folding or does the league and PA just not want to leave any available TV money on the table?

Call me pessimistic but I'm already thinking the season is cancelled and these plans are just a way to stay in the news and keep fan's hopes up. That said if there were able to plan all the logistics around this plan and go ahead I would be interested. Playing out the regular season and first two playoff rounds in division followed by the remaining 4 teams moving to another neutral site seems like a legitimate way to award the cup.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:41 PM   #70
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think it could work. If they close out the season schedule and if players are skating and working out a few weeks ahead then it would feel fairly legitimate. But they wouldnt be given the green light to travel and set this up until at least June 30th.

It would certainly be a welcome distraction and source of fun.

On the broadcasts you could have an active fancast going on with the game where you could have people call in via zoom/whatever from their households and do their chants and celebrations following goals.

It's something, just like the north American world cup tourney was something. People rolled their eyes at the idea, but when it happened the same people got into it.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:47 PM   #71
Vedder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Guessing that the league and players would only do this out of financial desperation. Not as simple as “don’t bother, start up in October”. Teams are bleeding money right now.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:54 PM   #72
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
As much as it sucks balls, it's time to pull the plug on this season and focus on plans for 20-21. I suspect the entirety of next season will be played in front of empty arenas, and we won't see any crowds in NA sports until 2021.

Might as well start getting used to that ####ty idea now.
There's no way they can make certain plans for next season, We have no idea what one month from now looks like never mind 5 months from now. They are exploring all options based on what we currently know, anticipated loosening of restrictions, current risk and government and health restrictions. You can guarantee they are exploring all options for BOTH this season completion and next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Is the league in such a precarious financial position that cancelling the season could result in teams folding or does the league and PA just not want to leave any available TV money on the table?

Call me pessimistic but I'm already thinking the season is cancelled and these plans are just a way to stay in the news and keep fan's hopes up. That said if there were able to plan all the logistics around this plan and go ahead I would be interested. Playing out the regular season and first two playoff rounds in division followed by the remaining 4 teams moving to another neutral site seems like a legitimate way to award the cup.
TV revenue is "a little more then" $600 million dollars (Mclean threw out 600, 400 from Canada and 200 US, and Bettman said a little higher). Let's just say it is 600 million US as currency was not discussed. The money is paid to the league over the course of the season but the bulk of TV money is based on playoff coverage. So let's say that number is 67%. So $400 million is still on the table in one form or another. Bettman said they've received the bulk of the TV money but with no playoffs, they are on the hook to the broadcasters which would be a broadcasting credit towards next year. There is a ton of money in play and it is on the best interest of the players, owners and the league to have a play off. McLean threw out escrow of 34%, so basically a 34% wage cut cut and major salary cap implications going forward.
Old 04-22-2020, 06:56 PM   #73
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hate having the draft before the season ends. Hard to make moves
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 06:58 PM   #74
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cancel it
Any effort to save it will feel more like a “World Cup of hockey” or something similar
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 07:00 PM   #75
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Cancel it
Any effort to save it will feel more like a “World Cup of hockey” or something similar
Someone hates fun.

Everyone knows it will come with an asterisk, but so what? If they're willing to do it, and we get to enjoy it, then so be it.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:01 PM   #76
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Sutton View Post
There's no way they can make certain plans for next season, We have no idea what one month from now looks like never mind 5 months from now. They are exploring all options based on what we currently know, anticipated loosening of restrictions, current risk and government and health restrictions. You can guarantee they are exploring all options for BOTH this season completion and next season.
I mean, you kind of can. There's no vaccine coming until January at the very earliest, and that's pie in the sky.

Unless a miracle drug comes out that dramatically improves outcomes of people who get this, it's not happening next season. It just isn't.
Old 04-22-2020, 07:05 PM   #77
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I think the financial repercussions of outright cancelling the season might be too devastating to the NHL and PA.

Sounds like it would essentially double escrow (talk of 35%), and might force salary rollbacks just to help absorb the losses. Apparently the NHL and NHLPA came to the conclusion that if they canceled the remainder of the season they would lose about $1B in revenue. One billion.

Both sides will do everything they can to find a way to finish the season.
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2020, 07:28 PM   #78
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Cancel it
that is actually a good idea...do something like a world cup instead
Old 04-22-2020, 08:04 PM   #79
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they can get it done safely, and fairly, go for it.

My guess is September they won't the green light for full arenas anyway, or even if it is ok from the various health authorities, fans may not be willing to go back to capacity, if they cancel this year anyways. So, get some revenue and play some games now, because it could be Christmas time until they fill arenas (and maybe start the next season)whether they cancel this season or not.

Plus, it's not going to affect my well being by them playing.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:23 PM   #80
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Yeah, they've got to be really sure. Right now you can't have more than 5 people in one place. How you you have a dressing room, how do you have a bench. How do you take buses back to hotels? I mean are we sleeping in the executive suites?

Even with the biosphere concept, it's tough.

If one person gets sick and dies, it's over. Where do you go from there?

The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread