Exp:

My heart breaks for all involved.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:40 PM   #42
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Listening to CKOM.

The intersection has been the scene of previous traffic fatalities. Six makeshift crosses/memorials are from a previous accident this past year, apparently.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:41 PM   #43
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

They didn't get anything out that counters any rumours though. The same info that was known at 9:13 is still the same info known at 9:17 and the same rumors are swirling. That's what I mean. I think they should have just said nothing until they were ready to release all the details. Nothing is going to counter the rumors except actual information and I think they are doing a bigger disservice to the families who are hearing/seeing these rumors and it must hurt them even more. I've got a headful of phlegm so I think I'm not saying this the way I want to say it, and it's coming out wrong. I remember the last hockey team on a bus accident - it's a devastating time for everyone involved.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:42 PM   #44
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
I finally found it. Why announce a news conference to say "essentially we know nothing?" Why not just wait to hold it when you can/will share information?

I'm not trying to be a nosey grief vampire, I just don't understand why the RCMP announced a news conference to say jack all. Silence says just as much as was given in the update.
The RCMP still haven’t notified all next of kin, they won’t say anything till they have.

Edit: they held the press conference to confirm the basics, they won’t get into details until the families are properly informed.

Last edited by calgarybornnraised; 04-06-2018 at 09:45 PM.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:43 PM   #45
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
They didn't get anything out that counters any rumours though. The same info that was known at 9:13 is still the same info known at 9:17 and the same rumors are swirling. That's what I mean. I think they should have just said nothing until they were ready to release all the details. Nothing is going to counter the rumors except actual information and I think they are doing a bigger disservice to the families who are hearing/seeing these rumors and it must hurt them even more. I've got a headful of phlegm so I think I'm not saying this the way I want to say it, and it's coming out wrong. I remember the last hockey team on a bus accident - it's a devastating time for everyone involved.
By not saying numbers, it pretty much make any fatality counts speculation though.

Look, there's not a lot right they can do right now. If they wait, people will be angry, if they don't release enough, people will be angry.

Something is better than nothing. I'm willing the bet the people directly affected are being prioritized here.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:43 PM   #46
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Listening to CKOM.

The intersection has been the scene of previous traffic fatalities. Six makeshift crosses/memorials are from a previous accident this past year, apparently.
TSN mentioned that. It was a family from Alberta.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2018, 09:45 PM   #47
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Listening to CKOM.

Looks like the intersection of 335 and 35? Google street view shows those crosses. Currently google traffic seems to have the road blocked off a couple Kms north of there at the next intersection.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:46 PM   #48
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Devastating.
Old 04-06-2018, 09:47 PM   #49
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
By not saying numbers, it pretty much make any fatality counts speculation though.

Look, there's not a lot right they can do right now. If they wait, people will be angry, if they don't release enough, people will be angry.

Something is better than nothing. I'm willing the bet the people directly affected are being prioritized here.
Families have to be notified and the like. Those poor families can have all the time they want.

How selfish of us to demand updates!!!
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2018, 10:08 PM   #50
saskflames69
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

As a former resident of Humboldt this is absolutely beyond devastating, that team is the nucleus of the community. Almost everybody there knows someone involved with the Broncos in one way or another.
Connor Zary will win the Hart Trophy in 2027.
saskflames69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saskflames69 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2018, 10:09 PM   #51
calgarygringo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Really sad for sure.
Rode some of those hockey buses many years ago and saw many close calls but never anything like this. The bus looks really bad and hope that there are many that do come out of this well. I have seen a few parents posts of their kids confirmed hurt but in hospital so that is good news.
I have seen a few posts from local clubs out that way suggesting upper teen counts of fatalities but not confirmed yet.
calgarygringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:17 PM   #52
flame^thrower
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Terrible, terrible news. Thoughts are with families and everyone involved. Heartbreaking.
flame^thrower is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:24 PM   #53
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Just a gut wrenching accident. So many miles in so many buses all across NA from junior/minor pro teams every year.

So sad when something like this happens. Family and friends need everyones thoughts and support.

Here is one small story.

Quote:
Myles Shumlanski, father of Broncos player Nick Shumlanski, said he got a call from his son and they picked him up.

“It’s only a quarter-mile from our house,” he said.

“There are casualties and it’s very bad. We were at the scene helping,” Shumlanski said.

“It was a disaster,” he said. “We had a crane lifting the bus.”

Shumlanski said that his son is being flown to Saskatoon after receiving treatment at a hospital in Tisdale.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:27 PM   #54
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Poor kids. Just horrible.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:40 PM   #55
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a terrible tragedy. I can only hope that the outpouring of support can be some comfort to those affected.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:43 PM   #56
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chris Vandenbreekel

@Vandecision
25m25 minutes ago
More
A father of one of the victims is about 30 ft from me. He is kneeling on the road and crying. Friends who drove him tell me "he lost his boy and doesn't know what to do." They were in Nipawin waiting for the game. #sask

dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:50 PM   #57
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Gut wrenching stuff. Cripes, just a horrible situation.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:54 PM   #58
BOSSY
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Chris Vandenbreekel

@Vandecision
25m25 minutes ago
More
A father of one of the victims is about 30 ft from me. He is kneeling on the road and crying. Friends who drove him tell me "he lost his boy and doesn't know what to do." They were in Nipawin waiting for the game. #sask

Man hearing that makes me want to puke... so sad
BOSSY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:57 PM   #59
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Oh man.

https://twitter.com/user/status/982477587497664513

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:11 PM   #60
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

For those of us that have lost loved ones in a tragedy like this, words just cannot describe the anguish.

I was 14 years old when I saw the the search and rescue pilot turn to his partner as they stepped out of their helicopter and say the words, “there’s no survivors on that plane, everyone is dead.” Those were his exact words. My father was the pilot of that plane. I did the same fall to my knees that the father of that boy on that bus from Humboldt just did.

My heart aches for these people because I know that life for them will never, ever be the same. I cannot express how awful I feel for these families.

Last edited by Racki; 04-07-2018 at 09:43 AM.
Racki is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 65 Users Say Thank You to Racki For This Useful Post: