Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-02-2018, 08:27 AM   #1381
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
I just want to play through Zelda and Mario without shelling out $500+ but can’t find any used systems. Do I have any options in this post Blockbuster era?
You could play Breath of the Wild on the Wii U. As for Mario, games like that are system sellers for a reason! Maybe you can find a friend who hasn't played their Switch for a while.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 09:56 AM   #1382
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Seems like a 50/50 split between buy physical, buy digital. Good reasons on both sides. I’m going to try digital. The convenience of not getting up to switch games might outweigh the off chance i’ll want to re sell one day.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 10:54 AM   #1383
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Seems like a 50/50 split between buy physical, buy digital. Good reasons on both sides. I’m going to try digital. The convenience of not getting up to switch games might outweigh the off chance i’ll want to re sell one day.
Another benefit of digital on Switch is Nintendo does loyalty points. You can get them for physical games too, but they offer much more for digital ones. Basically, for every $20 you spend on the eShop you get 100 points, which translates to $1. It’s not crazy but if you buy all your games on there it adds up pretty quick and can be a nice future discount.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-02-2018, 11:09 AM   #1384
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frequitude View Post
I just want to play through Zelda and Mario without shelling out $500+ but can’t find any used systems. Do I have any options in this post Blockbuster era?
Your best bet, if you have a PS4 or XB1 that you don't play, is to wait for EB Games to have a big trade in promotion.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2018, 10:41 PM   #1385
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have to say that I’m enjoying Sushi Striker: Way of the Sushido way more than I thought I would when announced. Tried out the demo and it hooked me enough to buy the full game and I’m happy I did.

Fun but simple puzzle construct and the story is unique and engaging.

Nice to see something with a bit of a different storylines.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 08:51 AM   #1386
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reviews on Octopath Traveler seem to be consistent with two main points between the battle system and story.

Not sure if the the story is better or worse than Bravely Default from what we know.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:18 PM   #1387
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those who didn't play Captain Toad on Wii U, it's a fantastically fun puzzle game.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:03 PM   #1388
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Reviews on Octopath Traveler seem to be consistent with two main points between the battle system and story.

Not sure if the the story is better or worse than Bravely Default from what we know.
One thing I know that to me is disappointing (though if anyone played the most recent demo, they would know) is that the 8 storylines aren't really intertwined. You kind of just see other party members in town and ask them to join.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 02:16 PM   #1389
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
One thing I know that to me is disappointing (though if anyone played the most recent demo, they would know) is that the 8 storylines aren't really intertwined. You kind of just see other party members in town and ask them to join.
Definitely had some hope thay there would be some sort of culmination in all these broken up individual stories. There's a fair amount of artwork that shows some sort of camadarie or interaction between the characters but the game definitely is as far away from that as can be.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2018, 07:39 AM   #1390
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post

I thought the story for Bravely Second was pretty bad. Which was disappointing given how good Bravely Default was. So if Octopath falls in the middle, then cool.

Also, the game is selling out all over Japan, which is a pretty good sign. Square Enix even took to the game's official Twitter account to apologize for that.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:46 PM   #1391
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've had some good long sessions playing Octopath in the two days since I picked it up. I'm hooked. Stories are unique and engaging, visuals are gorgeous, music even more so, and the battles are just so much fun once you get the hang of them! Also love having a big and diverse world to explore.

The gripe about characters not interacting in more complex ways is valid but pretty minor in my mind.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2018, 01:12 PM   #1392
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just bought Mario Tennis Aces. Had a TRU coupon for %20 off Hasbro and Games that the code worked for.

Hopefully it's good.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 11:19 AM   #1393
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
I just bought Mario Tennis Aces. Had a TRU coupon for %20 off Hasbro and Games that the code worked for.

Hopefully it's good.
Went to Toy R Us website and tried to use their Hasbro/Game deal and unfortunately couldn't get it to work.
fleuryisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2018, 04:17 PM   #1394
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleuryisgod View Post
Went to Toy R Us website and tried to use their Hasbro/Game deal and unfortunately couldn't get it to work.
I had a $25 off and a $20 off (from wagjam). $25 off worked for Mario Tennis Aces without issue. (picked it up yesterday)

The $20 one I ended up using on Captain Toad. But since it was under $50 I had to add a filler. I picked a Hasbro 'littlest pet shop' blind bag for $4 (I had to try a few to find one that was in stock at the store). Once I added both to cart the coupon applied.

I did however get an email from TRU that my Blind Bag isnt in stock so they cancelled that item on my order. Captain Toad is now ready for pickup for $31. I think I did ok.

Old 07-19-2018, 07:44 PM   #1395
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought Octopath Traveler, played it for about an hour before work tonight. Liked it but everything I've read has been fantastic. I can't wait to get deeper into it.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:42 AM   #1396
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

I sat down to play Octopath today at 3pm, after a while I felt hungry and figured it must be time for dinner and it was 10:30... I think I have an addiction.
Old 07-20-2018, 04:50 PM   #1397
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
I sat down to play Octopath today at 3pm, after a while I felt hungry and figured it must be time for dinner and it was 10:30... I think I have an addiction.

Old 07-21-2018, 10:06 AM   #1398
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm interested in Octopath Traveler but is it a good option for a more casual Nintendo Switch player? I have Zelda, Mario, and Raving Raving Rabbids but haven't finished any of them. I do enjoy turn based RPGs with Valkyrie Chronicles and XCom games being my favourites. I'm not very good with open world games as I need tasks and specific things to do to progress the story.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 10:25 AM   #1399
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love Octopath's battle system. I really enjoy seeing the turn order and being able to strategize my moves ahead based on the enemy weaknesses / maximizing all my abilities. Building up to having every enemy on Break and hitting them with a devastating level 4 attack is very satisfying. So many RPGs nowadays think everything has to be action oriented and pushing you to act fast but I much prefer a slower, more tactical style system where you're trying to set up combos and take advantage. Also, the bosses are susceptible to debuffs! Yay!

I am early on in the story (done chapter 1 for 5/8 characters, about 7 hours in) so hard to give much review there, some character's stories are more compelling than others though. The art style is great (some of the pixel work on the large boss characters is ridiculously good) and the soundtrack is fantastic. It's totally scratching every JRPG itch I have been feeling recently, highly recommended.

As far as objectives, there are always story points pushing you forward and not a lot of sidequests/exploration, which is fine. It's very different from Valkyria Chronicles or XCOM which have a lot of action/strategic movement, but that's not necessarily bad. The strategy comes from maximizing your abilities within your turns and limiting your enemies by exploiting their weaknesses at the right time. It is really fun but in a different way. I think it'd be worth a try, though some of the boss fights might be pretty tough for a new JRPG player.

Last edited by OutOfTheCube; 07-21-2018 at 10:28 AM.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2018, 04:27 PM   #1400
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
I'm interested in Octopath Traveler but is it a good option for a more casual Nintendo Switch player? I have Zelda, Mario, and Raving Raving Rabbids but haven't finished any of them. I do enjoy turn based RPGs with Valkyrie Chronicles and XCom games being my favourites. I'm not very good with open world games as I need tasks and specific things to do to progress the story.
I would say the game is pretty accessible for casual players. The story is structured into chapters which take an hour or two each, so it's convenient for short play sessions. It's not nearly as open world as Breath of the Wild or Red Dead Redemption. The paths between towns are fairly linear and you will have a marker on your map for where each character's next chapter takes place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
As far as objectives, there are always story points pushing you forward and not a lot of sidequests/exploration, which is fine. It's very different from Valkyria Chronicles or XCOM which have a lot of action/strategic movement, but that's not necessarily bad. The strategy comes from maximizing your abilities within your turns and limiting your enemies by exploiting their weaknesses at the right time. It is really fun but in a different way. I think it'd be worth a try, though some of the boss fights might be pretty tough for a new JRPG player.
There aren't many side quests during chapter 1, but lots will open up when you reach chapter 2. Also, if you return to towns whre you have completed the story there will be 3-4 side quests you can do.
The Following User Says Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post: