Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-11-2018, 12:21 PM   #41
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
17 points in his first 24 games in 2016, which pro-rates to 58-points over an 82-games season. That is pretty well on par with his production at centre the previous year, and looks to be in the ballpark of what can be expected for him playing the #2 role behind McDavid. Maybe Oilers fans are okay with this, but I think paying $8.5 m and term for that level of production is a very bad investment.

The difference between $7.0 m and $8.5 m is cavernous. This is a marginal contract. Period.
RyJo put up better numbers, I think and "sold" a lot more UFA years. He got 8. 7 would have been a pretty fair number for Draisaitl. Kuznetsov has a CH of $7.8. Heck, last year he was the 6th highest paid centre (with only McDavid being an ELC and therefore an outlier). He wasn't a top 10 centre.

Not only is Draisaitl's cap hit $8.5, he actually makes $9.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 04:39 PM   #42
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
We should also not forget that Gaudreau was ineligible for arbitration and also was RFA offer sheet-exhempt when he signed his deal. It was really a fantastic situation for the Flames.
He's going to be looking to cash in (deservedly so) once he's a free agent, that's for sure.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:01 PM   #43
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Draisaitl did not have arbitration rights, but I am quite sure he was RFA offer sheet eligible. I vividly recall there being an ongoing concern amongst Oilers fans that he would sign an offer sheet.
Everything I've read points to Gaudreau and Draisaitl being subject to the same rules re: Offer Sheets - both were eligible.

Last edited by Mike F; 07-11-2018 at 07:03 PM.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:04 PM   #44
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love Treliving
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 07:23 PM   #45
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
Everything I've read points to Gaudreau and Draisaitl being subject to the same rules re: Offer Sheets - both were eligible.
You're wrong. Nobody could offersheet gaudreau. He had no leverage whatsoever.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:16 PM   #46
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
You're wrong. Nobody could offersheet gaudreau. He had no leverage whatsoever.
Source?

I found articles here, here, and here and none mention anything that would have Draisatl and Gaudreau being treated differently.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 08:40 PM   #47
Larry David
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Source?

I found articles here, here, and here and none mention anything that would have Draisatl and Gaudreau being treated differently.
Here:

https://thehockeynews.com/news/artic...ohnny-gaudreau

Quote:
Gaudreau is what’s known as a 10.2(c) player, named for the provision in the collective bargaining agreement under which he falls, which governs players with fewer than three years of professional experience. And even though Gaudreau’s three-year entry level contract with the Flames expired after this season, he doesn’t have three years of experience. That’s because when Gaudreau signed his deal out of Boston College after winning the Hobey Baker Award, the Flames played him in their last game of the season. That game, in which Gaudreau scored his first NHL goal, burned a year off his contract, but did not credit him with an accrued season of experience
Quote:
So because he has fewer than three years’ experience, Gaudreau cannot be signed to an offer sheet. Nor does he have the right to go to arbitration. In fact, the only leverage Gaudreau has is to withhold his services if he can’t reach a deal with the Flames. It was the same situation in which Torey Krug and Jaden Schwartz, who will both become RFAs July 1, found themselves two summers ago.

Last edited by Larry David; 07-11-2018 at 08:43 PM.
Larry David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Larry David For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 05:09 AM   #48
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Yeah you are right on 3 UFA years, my bad.

As for center/wing, he still played center a lot. 52 points there in 15/16. And in 16/17 he didn't play on the wing until December and he was still putting up points. Played well at center in the playoffs when called upon.

There's a good argument to be made that the Oilers could have gotten Draisatil cheaper for sure. I just don't see how they could have gotten him signed for something that started with a number smaller than 7.
Smaller than 7? He signed for $8.5m.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 05:19 AM   #49
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Source?

It was literally the only topic on CP during the offseason of 2016.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post: